Archived Site: The Ghosts of November:

Information Concerning this Archived Site

Source: https://novemberghosts.blogspot.com/

This is the archive of a blogspot hosted by Jeff Brailey, the senior medic of the Joint Humanitarian Task Force sent to Guyana in November 1978. Brailey wrote about his experiences in the book The Ghosts of November, which he self-published in 1998, but his work did not end there. Instead, he continued to research the military and diplomatic responses to Jonestown, and revised his work several times before posting what was to be the final edition on his blogspot. Beyond the book itself, however, the postings include Brailey's reports on his efforts to secure a literary agent, as well as topics relating to Jonestown, cults, cult leaders, and related subjects.

Brailey died in 2014.

In addition to this archive, this site has published both the complete manuscript of the final edition of the book as well as Brailey's other blog postings in text formats.

PLEASE SIGN THIS PETITION

Saturday, November 8, 2008

Thirty Years

Thirty years is not really all that great a period of time in the grand scheme of things. Oh, it is half my life and I know I will be lucky to see another 30 years on this earth, but in the history of the world it is the snap of a finger.

Aside from 2008 being the 30th anniversary of the Jonestown Massacre, it also marks a never before reached milestone in the 232 year life of our young republic. The United States of America has elected a non-white president for the very first time. Listening to the election night coverage on NPR and hearing Obama declared president-elect, I was overwhelmed with pride in my country. I never thought this day would occur in my lifetime.

Then I wondered what Rev. Jim Jones would have said. I wondered what his reaction would have been. Would he be amazed that just half a century after Rosa Parks refused to take a seat in the back of the bus our country would elect a black man as its leader?

What happened in Jonestown 30 years ago is a horror we shall never forget. What happened in the USA last Tuesday night was a monumental event we shall always remember.

No comments: