Edith Roller Journals: July 16-31, 1975

Transcribed from her typed journals by Don Beck (October 2008) and corrected by Troy Schaefer (May 2010)

RYMUR 89-4286-HH-2-1 through 89-4286-HH-2-27, Public Relations-PT Journal

List of people and groups mentioned in this Journal


16 July –1975 – Wednesday  

I spent most of the day on personal tasks: wrote the last two days’ journal entries, paid bills to Dr. Fung (eye examination), Dr. Justin Williams (breast x-ray), and the telephone bill. I want to pay Dr. Schaupp in person so as to get the bill receipted and send it to the insurance company.

I made files for some of Carol’s material.

At noon I went to the meeting of the Bechtel Women for Affirmative Action which was held in the Metropolitan Building. This was an informal meeting to discuss the next steps to be taken. Raising funds is one of their chief problems. A proposal to management has been submitted to allow secretarial salaries to be based on merit rather than position of supervisor. They have plans to poll all Bechtel women as to their desires by means of a questionnaire. Observing that they considered all Bechtel female employees their membership, I warned them on the basis of SFSC experience that such inclusiveness risks control being vested in a group which sides with management.  After the meeting was over, I found that my remarks pleased several women who spoke to me about being more active in the organization.  One, Barbara Gersh, who wants to have lunch with me, told me that the steering committee is already being used by management.

I put some documents in file folders for Carol.

At home I ate leftovers, washed the dishes.

I left for the Temple service at 7.30, picking up Magnolia and Mary. Most of the congregation was in the building but not all were upstairs yet.

There were the usual preliminaries. When rides were arranged I did not volunteer, as I had Magnolia [Harris] and Mary [Lewis] to take home, and Contonia had asked me for a ride. I did not know how many children were with her.

I helped take the offering. Change was not on the floor yet.

Jim came on the podium about 9.30.

Jim spoke on the Chicago trip. They met some important people. The future will show what was accomplished. The healings were beyond parallel. The meeting the last night lasted until morning. The group wants to establish a Temple in Chicago. Two miracles took place on the buses. They got in to Chicago hours earlier than they could have if no mishaps had occurred. The buses will come back directly. Our people were graciously received by the Muslim leadership, though their temple here had not cleared the appointment as they said they had.

Birdie Marable wants renewed fellowship. We don’t know whether we will accept her. Somebody has been calling at that house; had better tell.

“Socialism” is not a dirty word in Chicago. They met with Jesse Jackson’s group and with another organization. If there are many cities like Chicago, people are going to break out of their bondage. We had an all-black audience. A doctor is coming out. He was so impressed.  There was respect, reverence, awe, a difference between their attitude and ours. Familiarity breeds contempt. They wanted to start a socialistic church; they asked me.

An offering was taken by sum.

Jim commented on the number of surgeries in the country which were unnecessary.

Jim asked how many are looking forward to living in the promised land. Only a scattered few say they aren’t. One young person said she felt it was for the old and the very young; the young should stay here. Jim answered that if there was a need, we all must go. Another, a man, wanted to stand with Father. Jim: He’s right, but I don’t want to see you starve. One elderly woman: “If push comes to shove. I’ll go.”  Another woman wanted to stay to fight if Jim stays. Jim said this is his home, he was here before Ford.  “I resent their making a mess of it. If they won’t let ten people go, none of us will go. We’ll stand together.”

Jim closed the meeting early. He asked everybody to come to the altar.

When I approached, he beckoned me to step up. He said: “Your sister? You know what happened in Chicago? Is this erratic behavior of hers a pattern?” I told him something about Dorothy, and he gave me more details of what happened in Chicago. He said she had “done everything to make us think she was an enemy agent.”  If she had said she was my sister, she would have got in without difficulty. He said everybody liked her. She was well-informed but very naive. I told him I was sorry she had given the Temple trouble, but be did not seem distressed.

The service was over about 11.00.

I took my riders home. Contonia had only one child with her.

I got home at 11.45.

I made popcorn. I ate it and a piece of toast and jam, reading Edmund Wilson.

I went to bed at 2.00.


17 July – 1975 – Thursday  
I worked a couple of hours on the payment to the attorney on the Puerto Rican transit job. which has never been completed.

I tried to reconcile my bank balance. There is a $5.00 error which works out to my favor. But I could not find it, though I used the office calculator.

At noon I went to Dr. Schaupp’s office and paid my bill so that I could get a receipt to send to the insurance office.

At home I exercised, washed my hair.

I ate dinner and washed dishes.

I washed clothes.

I packed tonight as much as I could for the Los Angeles trip, hoping to get ready earlier tomorrow than I usually do.

I went to bed about 2.00. I have had a pain in my neck this week and it was especially bad tonight. It was even painful lying on my side.


18 July – 1975 — Friday 
I slept about half an hour after the alarm rang this morning. My back still hurt me, but when I got up the pain had disappeared.

A message had come from Carol asking me to lend documents on a WMATA case in which the Authority was being sued. I xeroxed the material and put it in the Gaithersburg pouch.

I tried again to reconcile my bank statement but still could not find my error.

I called Carol before lunch. She said the sun was out, though, he was still not happy about the housing situation. She had found a house a few miles beyond Clarksburg, and she was thinking about buying it. Buying was no more expensive than renting. She might instead rent in Georgetown with a housemate. Both buying and renting are very expensive.

I finished the memo on the Puerto Rico attorney’s billings after asking Carol about one detail.

I had intended to go to Cost Plus at noon and try to find a basket to replace the one in which I carry my thermos and lunch to work; it has worn out. But I learned that there was a special film to be shown on the employee’s film series. I ate my lunch early and saw the film which was on “Holography.” This concerned a system of taking three-dimensional photographs with a laser beam. It was too technical for me to understand much.

I worked again on my bank statement but still could not get it to come out right.

I decided to go to Cost Plus anyway. I walked over to California, bought some popcorn, and took the cable car. I got off at Kearney and took bus no. 15 to Fisherman’s Wharf.

I looked around the whole store. They had many different kinds of baskets. I couldn’t find exactly the type I wanted, but I bought one which is really too wide. It cost $1.99. I also bought some cufflinks to wear with a particular blouse I have.

I had a free cup of coffee at the Cost Plus coffee store. I had some trouble finding the place to take the return bus.

I got back to the office about 4.00 o’clock, having been gone two hours.

I went through my calculations in my bank book again and still did not find where I had gone wrong.

At home I ate, washed dishes, finished packing, dressed.

Mary had phoned she couldn’t come to the Temple, as her asthma was troubling her. I picked up Magnolia, who had baked goods to take to the Temple for sale at a concession stand. She complained as usual because we arrived at service late. I was in my seat about 9.00, and though most of the Valley people had arrived. I got a good seat.

Jim was on the podium at 11.00. He said the people coming from Chicago were holding service in Los Angeles tonight. They had crossed the desert in 120º heat and were running out of water, but a cloud followed them all the way. He said he had been on the telephone constantly since 5.00 o’clock saving lives. Jim said we were a nation now. He needs people to help on the podium while he administers.

Jim took a second offering. He spoke bitterly of those who held back and those who caused trouble. Only two sold leaflets; retribution will come.

Pictures of the starving Ethiopian child on its mother’s dried-up breast were shown.

A film strip of South American Indian life was shown.  They were living free until the missionary came, taught religion. Then the traders came and a government which enslaved the people. “The white man is the disease.” The exploitation of Central American people was shown — life in the slums.

Jim said: Be ready to move, if not to the promised land, to a central place. There are some very threatening events. He is tempted to get out of the Valley. There we are surrounded by dangerous counties. The Temple is looking into the possibility of getting a large apartment house. The atmosphere of rural life is getting worse. We have mutual defense arrangement with the two M’s (he had given some hints of what groups he meant by this appellation).

Jim led a discussion period. The first question was: What reason do these counties have for driving out blacks? Jim: No reason. It is irrational. A poll shows ninety percent of the people are racial bigots. They are willing to throw blacks into concentration camps.

A question was asked concerning what happened in Taft where blacks were driven out. Jim said some of these things have to happen so that people will learn. I’ve tried to unify people till I was blue in the face. I’ve got temporary unity at the top. Yet there are folk sitting here thinking it won’t happen to them. It only takes one time for white folk to bother you. I can’t help you unless you let me.

The present “strike first” policy will make nuclear war inevitable. We can go back to the caves. We better be out of here.

Jim performed healings.

Jim asked all to come to the altar. I was one of the first in line.  I went to the bathroom. I left the building at 1.30. I went out and moved my car into the lot. I took my belongings to the bus, which was already well loaded. I had difficulty getting a seat. I found one beside Lucy Crenshaw.

Lucy came from Indianapolis after one of the Temple trips East. She had never seen Jim nor attended one of his services but had read about him in the newspapers, particularly as bead of the Commission on Civil Rights. Her daughter went to school with Jack Beam’s son. When the Temple on its summer tour returned to Indianapolis, she was working for a black newspaper and our advance workers came to place an ad for the Temple meeting. The mother of Denise Buckmaster gave her incorrect information about the Temple, such as that we all had to share clothes, but she came anyway, with her son Ed, then sixteen. She has a daughter and grandchildren who remained in the East. She is now working as a typist for the State in the Medi-cal office in the Ferry Building.

I ate a sandwich I had brought. We didn’t leave San Francisco until after 3.00. I went to sleep before we left.

I woke from a sound deep at 6.00 when we arrived at the rest stop. I got off the bus to go to the bathroom and jogged. I went back to sleep when the buses started.


19 July—1975 — Sunday
I woke at 10.00 when we arrived in Button Willow [Buttonwillow]. We were told we should be back on the buses in ten minutes; it was actually half an hour before the buses were loaded.

I had gone to the bathroom, washed, jogged and took my vitamins.

I ate my food on the bus. I read some newspapers I had brought with me.

Carolyn Looman started to take the offering.

About 11.00 o’clock, a tire blew out. There was no panic as the bus made a tremendous lurch, went to one side of the road and then to the other, then stopped at the side of the road. Changing the tire took about half an hour, during which time we all remained quiet and didn’t move. The offering was continued. After a little effort, our quota was reached.

I tried to sleep. I did not fall asleep right away, as some of the young people talked and laughed loudly. The day was warm, and windows were open on both sides of me, making a pleasant breeze.

We arrived in Los Angeles at 1.40. I dressed and got into service at 2.30.

Archie came out after testimonials were given. He and others had been in Texas, Florida and close to Canada getting supplies for the promised land. Jim came out at 3.45.

The choir sang.

Jim began to speak at 4.10 on the Chicago experience. The plane he had to take to Los Angeles by way of Dallas had been strangely delayed for half an hour. Our mailings didn’t get to Chicago, but word of mouth brought a crowd. Miracles are necessary. But the beginning of knowledge is the fear of such power. The last days are upon us. Black newspapers are being forced out of business. Drugs are being given to black soldiers. The CIA brought heroin into the country to raise funds for its work.

Jim spoke strongly on his credentials. God is no respecter of persons. God has a body in all ages. “I am with you always. You shall do greater things than I do,” said Jesus. Jacob wrestled all night with God. This mind that was in Christ Jesus is in me now. As a man thinketh in his heart, so is he. If you think you see a man, a man I am. But if you think you see God, God is here. God is able to do exceedingly, abundantly beyond all you are able to ask or expect. What matters is, “Who do you say that I am?”

Jim said: It’s late. Why am I preaching thus? Someone’s life is hanging in the balance. Your error is worshipping an unknown God.

Our buses made the trip to Chicago in forty-five hours, although you can’t make it in less than forty-eight hours. “Today is the day of salvation.” Don’t let the white man rob you of your today.

While Jim healed a woman of a bad back disorder, he continued to preach on errors of the Bible. “The Bible kills but love makes alive.”

The Temple is thinking of making a campaign in Hawaii. People who might be able to go are to turn in their names. I had just inquired of the workers whether a trip was being planned, so I could make arrangements for my vacation.

Jim took an offering by sum, saying this was the only offering. However, after more healings, he said the first offering was so inadequate he took another, having the names of those giving written down. He went on with more healings.

Though the hour was late, he said people should come to the altar because the offering was so low. The service ended about 7.30.

Beulah Pendleton asked me to come home with her. I wanted to see whether I was needed to supervise any children. I saw Liz briefly; she said all were taken care of (many young people had gone to sell leaflets and would sleep in the church).

Liz told me that Dorothy had really been difficult. She had told so many lies that Liz didn’t think she would have been allowed in. However, she left without expressing a desire to enter. She had even told the workers that she was in touch with “one of your principal enemies,” by whom she might have meant Kinsolving. Liz said she wanted to talk with me more fully about the incident.

There was some delay in locating the woman who was taking us home and more delay in delivering some of the other passengers.

We got home about 9.00. Beulah gave me and the numerous children in the house frankfurters, canned corn and bread, and I had an orange.

Beulah suffered two unfortunate occurrences this week. Her daughter lost a seventeen-month-old son. The child was not even very sick but died unexpectedly in the hospital. The mother had a membership card in the Temple but did not attend regularly. Beulah’s son was arrested on a charge of robbing a store of some $8,000. The children had telephoned Beulah while she was at church one evening. She said her son has been arrested several times on false charges, and police constantly harass the family. She gave her last three dollars at the altar today, and Jim gripped her hands. She knew he was aware of her problems.

I tried to read Wilson before going to sleep but could not stay awake. I went to bed about 12.00.


20 July – 1975 — Sunday  
Beulah woke me at 8.30. I bathed and dressed. For breakfast I had two eggs, toast, bacon, and an orange.

Beulah had more children in the house than I have seen there before. They were sleeping in every corner. She told me that ten of them were children of the girl friend of her son (he has one of his own). The children call her grandmother.

The children’s mother took us all to church. She was late and we did not get into service until 11.50.

Testimonials were being given. One by Henry Mercer made reference to the hostility with which some of the younger people treated him. He was cut short and Jim’s voice came on the loudspeaker demanding that testimonies keep to what God has done for you. Our church compared to others is like a rose compared with thorns in the desert. He will do his own preaching.

The choir sang and the young women presented African dances.

A tape of a former sermon of Jim’s was played.

Jim spoke at 1.00. We must give the appearance of unity at all times. Others cannot reprove. The Council is always here to receive complaints.

Jim said one hundred people are badly in need of reducing their weight.  The list is to be posted publicly.

In our out-patient clinic yesterday all the black nurses deserted; all examinations were left to the white nurses. One white nurse married to a black left also. Jim questioned the motive of those who marry black.

The rate of breast cancer is one in two among blacks, one in four or five among whites. Probably the cause is purposeful treatment of our foods.

Jim explained how severely he reprimands leadership. Terri Buford was up for one hour for one mistake. Larry Schacht for three hours while his weaknesses were reviewed. Jim asked Cathy Grauman why she married a black man. She said she didn’t feel she was good enough for a white man.

A woman was put on the floor who stayed with Judy Ijames; she didn’t help her with the work, hasn’t got a job. Jim said by Wednesday he wanted her to have $100. She lives in a commune without bringing in anything. Jim: You have two weeks to get a productive job or move out.  Wanda King was accused of using health as an excuse for not going back to work. Cynthia Jacobs had been on security and in security meeting thereby not working at the clinic; she did not tell the nurses. Jim: The job of the nurses is more important than my personal security. He assigned the nurses who did not report to turn in $100 each. He told Cathy, who is now pregnant, that she was not mature enough to rear a child, left it up to her.

Jim read the list of those selling pamphlets with the amounts raised.

In Carmel, an intellectual community, all blacks were driven out. Six counties have formed private posses.

I had written an application to go on the trip to Hawaii and gave it to Claire Janaro.

Jim intermingled offering taking with healings.

He had the congregation come to the altar. The meeting ended at 4.00.

I got in the line for dinner early, and it moved rapidly for a while, but then it slowed down as people bunched at the top, with no hindrance from security. Glenn Hennington told me to sit at the table with the seniors and food would be brought to me, but I encountered a delay here too, which made me very irritable.

I changed clothes and went to the bus. The buses left about 5.00.

While the offering was taken, I read Wilson’s book. I had intended to give $1.50 on the bus offering on the return trip but had received $2.00 from a woman for a loan of $1.00 on Saturday, so I gave it all.

It was a hot day, but the windows were open, so it was not uncomfortable. We were crowded, though, and the children were restless. I did not sleep much, if at all, before we arrived at Button Willow about 8.00.

We had an hour and a half for recreation. I ran. Patty Cartmell talked to me at some length about the episode in Chicago with Dorothy [Edith’s sister]. She had been one of those who dealt with her. Among others were, besides Liz, Debbie Blakey, Tim Stoen and Mike Prokes, and as I later learned, Carol Stahl. Patty said Dorothy had stayed at the service trying to get in for eight hours. She puzzled them because she gave the “right” answers to political and social questions, while making statements that caused them to be suspicious of her. She claimed to be a reporter, she repeated people’s names as if memorizing them, she said she had been working with one of Jim’s biggest enemies (they thought she meant Kinsolving), she accused Temple members of sentimentalism, made fun of Jim’s replanting weeds. Patty thought she was very unhappy and in reality envied me. She acknowledged Dorothy was attractive and well-informed; however, she remarked on her beliefs as being essentially optimistic, and I agreed that this was one of the most important impediments to her trusting Jim. Patty said Dorothy became nastier when she realized that she was not going to get in. I told her something of Dorothy’s background.

I walked around seeing what people were doing and hoping to see Liz, but I did not find her. Carol Stahl told me her views about Dorothy which were not markedly different from Patty’s. She thought the incident may have been good practice for the future. Neither she nor Patty blamed me for what had happened.

When I boarded the bus, I found that someone had eaten the orange I was saving, and it looked as if my wallet had been opened (I had no money in it). Others had lost food. On Chris Lewis’s advice I reported the theft in writing.

A collection was taken by some members of the Council for a fund to give to Jim for work on his teeth, as they had learned he needed it badly and would not take money for himself from the people. I pledged $5.00.

I got to sleep eventually, probably about 11.00. I woke and got up at the rest stop and could not go to sleep again.

We arrived in San Francisco at about 4.00. It was drizzly. I took home Vernell Henderson whose car is in the shop and two others from her apartments.

I arrived at home at 4.45.


21 July – 1975 — Monday  
I pressed clothes for an hour, then unpacked.

I took my new Indian tote bag to carry my thermos and lunch to work.  I decided the basket is too wide to use ordinarily on the crowded buses.

Betty Barclay was back from her New York vacation. She said it was hot and muggy, but she enjoyed seeing shows.

Valita was sick today and Dorothy and Nicci were out. The attorneys did not know how to get their work done. Maggie sat at Valita’s desk.  Betty Vasil assigned me to Tom Thomason and Fred Abbott, Nicci’s supervisors. I did only one small memo for Fred, did some telefaxing and a telex for Tom, then typed a three-page contract draft for him.

At 12.30 I went to lunch with Barbara Gersh. We met downstairs and as it was a pleasant day we walked down to the park on the Embarcadero. We ate lunches we had brought. Barbara works in the Pipeline and Production Services Division. She received a degree in librarianship recently and Bechtel hired her as a librarian, but she doesn’t really work in this capacity. She says librarian jobs are hard to find. She says her work is boring. She is of Russian ancestry but doesn’t speak the language. She spent three months in Greece. She saw the effects of the dictatorship; even foreigners were cautious. I was afraid she was going to request from me some help in connection with the Bechtel women’s group, but she said nothing about it. I told her about an article on word processing in Business Week which had been sent for Carol.

I finished Tom’s contract and sent it to Houston by telefax by the 2.30 deadline.

I finished Sunday’s journal entry.

I received a call from Carol. She seemed rushed so I didn’t ask the outcome of her house hunting efforts nor when she is returning. I told her about the mail and received instructions from her. Failing to transfer her call to Walt Vreeburg, in the Insurance Department, I asked him to call her.

After work I went to Safeway on Church and Market to get some fruit for the rest of the week. It is at last coming down a little in price.

I bought cherries and grapes. Because the check-out lines were so long, it took me an hour to shop.

At home I exercised.

I prepared food, ate and washed dishes. I didn’t finish until 10.30.

I was very tired and decided not to type in my journal tonight but to get up in the morning and put in an hour.

I read Wilson for an hour. I fell asleep and missed the first part of “In Conversation.”

I went to bed at 12.30.


22 July – 1975 — Tuesday
I got up at 5.00 and before I went to work I typed in my journal an hour.

At the office I was not called upon to work for anyone and I spent a relaxing day.

I brought journal entries up to date. Then I listed all my July expenditures so far.

I prepared Carol’s reading file and filed some of her materials.

At noon I saw the film in the employees’ series. It featured poems of Robert Frost with scenes from his life and New England environment with some engravings of Norman Rockwell. The film was only about fifteen minutes long. I went out and ate my lunch on the PG&E steps. The day was warm and sunny.

I didn’t hear from Carol.

After getting home from work, I ran in the Panhandle for fifteen minutes.

I prepared and ate dinner and washed dishes.

I typed from 9.30 to 10.30 in my journal. My progress is not encouraging. I have typed only five pages so far this week.

I mended clothes while listening to “In Conversation.”

I took a bath. I have been slow to use cold water as desired by Jim. I don’t have a shower and it is difficult to sit in a tub of cold water. This week I have been pouring cold water over my body.

I read Wilson for an hour.

I went to bed at 1.30.


23 July – 1975 –Wednesday  
I put in a call to Carol about 8.30. She said she’d take the Friday afternoon plane and be back in the office on Monday. She said she was very busy. She hadn’t located housing yet. She talked to Tom and to Bob Garb.

I sent my medical receipts to the insurance company. I sent the premium for my car insurance.

I offered to Bob O’Neill and to Dorothy Stookey my help with any extra work. However, all I was given was the memo on the Puerto Rican attorney fees which had to be typed again for Garb’s signature.

Nicci was very busy today and I did one item for Tom.

At 11.45 I had lunch with Glenn Hennington at the Main Street building where he is working now. We ate our lunches outside. Glenn likes the people he’s working with now better than these he worked with formerly.  I told Glenn that I was looking for someone who would like to share my car so that I could cut expenses. What I want is someone who needs it to go to work on weekdays, and I could continue to use it on weekends. Glenn will try to think of someone. I consulted him as to how much I should charge under such an arrangement.

The weather had been foggy this morning but cleared up later.

This afternoon I added phone numbers, which Carol had left me, to her desk address book.

I took an hour’s nap on getting home tonight.

I ate leftovers, dressed for service.

Magnolia phoned for a ride. I called Mary who said she had been sick with flu, asthma, and so on, and was not well enough yet to go to church. However, she was taking care of her great grandchildren.

We drove to the Temple at ten minutes to 8.00, arriving at the same time as some of the Valley buses were unloading.

I turned in the five dollars I had pledged for the work on Jim’s teeth. (In April, 1976 I had not yet learned whether Jim actually used the money collected for himself.)

In the beginning of the service rides were obtained, announcements made. The congregation sang.

Liz told me Jim McElvane was seriously ill in U.C. Hospital with osteomyelitis.

The offering was taken. Each aisle is to have a floater, and I have been assigned as a floater in one aisle.

A tape of one of Jim’s sermons was played. Shortly after it was started Jim entered on the podium; it was nearly 10.00.

Someone asked a question on interference with the printing of our newspaper which I did not understand. Jim said we should be more concerned with what the capitalist press omits.

Jim referred to the disrespect of some of those close to the body of the Father which discredits what he’s trying to do. “If you can’t show respect, remove yourself from your special position. I am going to cut out laughter and show the seriousness I feel for this cause.”

Jim took another offering.

Jim spoke of the trial of the whites who attacked Joe Wilson and Ronnie James in Santa Rosa. More people are needed to attend. The jury will start deliberating tomorrow. You who are there will be the determining factor, as the district attorney is not trying very hard. It is a white versus black situation. The black people in Santa Rosa will not be safe if the attackers are not convicted.

Jim: Remove Carrie Page. She has objected too much to certain words used in this service.

Our members raised more money than any group selling tickets for the youth group. We will get special mention in the newspaper.

Commendations were given.

Chris Cordell was questioned concerning money which was stolen from the Bogue home. He said he was joking; Jim decided he should take a lie detector test. He admitted he took one dollar. His natural parents questioned him. The counselors stressed that only Jim’s love saved him from jail before. Jim led the probe into his feelings.  Rick Cordell stated he revealed hostility toward his dad who he believed was austere. Chris said his mother criticized his dad to him. Jim wanted people to be guided by this. You only lead your child to destruction by trying to get your child’s sympathy against the other parent.

Marvin Wideman was brought up. He has been increasingly rebellious. He has been accompanying Chris. Members of a gang, of which Chris, Teddy McMurray and Marvin are the organizers, were named by Jimmy Cordell: Von Smith, Dean Scott, Vincent Lopez, Tommy Bogue and others. Jim was angry, called them pigs, fascists, a counter-revolutionary movement. They had been on the floor before and were told to disband.

Chris admitted he didn’t go to the work projects. Julene Wideman admitted she was upset at Council for disapproving her daughter’s coming back home. She didn’t stay for the Sunday night service and took Marvin home. The counselors criticized her for her attitude.  Evelyn, her daughter, said her mother was too easy on the children.  Jim received reports this gang gave the junior choir and others a bad time. They didn’t watch the films on black history.

Michael Briggs’ grandmother gives the two Briggs children money, Jim said so that she can use them. She gave Tommy Bogue Michael Briggs’ address, and Tommy wrote to Michael. Jim forbade the children from having anything to do with her. He said he didn’t want to see any two of this gang together. Tommy had been moved to the Solomon house. Teddy McMurray said he didn’t come up to the Valley because he said a house couldn’t be found for him. Liz thought Teddy was still at West House. Jim wanted the leadership to know where everybody is.  He complained about the organizational failure and held Liz responsible.  She is to check the placement of the summer work crews in the various homes twice a week.

Tommy received a letter from a girl in Los Angeles. Jim said her mother, Jean Gibson, was unacceptable in this temple. She had been guilty of welfare fraud. She passed bad checks. She took money without withholding being taken out. She faced seven years in jail. Jim got her out. Jim said he didn’t believe she was honest. He ordered that she make restitution or be turned over to the authorities. She took up with a white racist. She tried to proposition Jim. We took care of her children. She’s hiding up in Ukiah. “It’s hard for us who are honest to face how despicable some people are.”  (I couldn’t tell which of these offenses Mrs. Gibson had committed before going to jail, and which were recent.)

Another report was received that Marvin Wideman threatened another child. Jim said to Julene: If he doesn’t change after tonight’s discipline, he is to hit the road.

Mark Sly and a new boy, Rory Macon (who had stayed at my apartment the other night), took his mother’s car (presumably Dee-dee’s) to the white police to complain about the mother; she had scolded him about his grades. Jim took note of Rory, asked the nurses to watch him for kidney trouble. He said he saved him from dying from kidney trouble when young.

Sylvia James’ companion, Reggie Upshaw, resented her pregnancy because she had a nice child by a former relationship.  The doctors told her she shouldn’t bear the baby or she’d die. He left her.  He beat up on her before.  She has had three abortions. Jim warned them. Jim decided he should box with a man twenty years older than he is. He refused. Jim: Either do it, or we’re finished. Sylvia was now at home dehydrated from hemorrhaging. Reggie is the son of Ann Peterson.

Each member of the gang got fifty whacks each. Tommy and Chris are to be dealt with separately.

Tom Grubbs fought Reggie. Reggie put Tom down twice. Jim was angry because Larry Layton recommended Tom to fight; he could have been hurt. Larry knew Tom was frightened of fighting. Larry was hostile, wanted to see blood. Jim said he wanted Lisa to see how sadistic his tendencies are. Tom was put in a bad light. Jim had Tom fight Larry. Tom knocked him down. Larry apologized.

Lucy Crenshaw recalled how Larry answered a question she had when she was new. He answered that he couldn’t relate to minorities because he was from a white upper class background. Jim’s complaint about him was that be won’t bear his share of the work. Others stated that his room was dirty. He wouldn’t give a seat to a black sister on the bus.  Mike Prokes said he was a leach and a parasite. Why is he here?

Larry said this is the only meaningful thing there is.

Jim asked how many were here for protection. How many for principle alone?  Few stood for principle alone. Some stood admitting they are here for protection and again, claiming they are here on account of devotion to principle. It developed that what Jim wanted was to know who are here solely because of belief in the cause, wouldn’t call upon him though in grave danger. Finally, all decided they couldn’t guarantee they would never want Jim’s protection for selfish reasons.

Mae Spriggs said Larry was very hostile. Several agree. But the majority left it up to Jim to decide whether he should stay on Council.

The Macon boy got only ten whacks. Chris took the pain well. Jim wanted to know why he can’t get his life straightened out, Tommy the same. Why can’t you put as much interest into keeping a few rules? Think about it and tell me.

Mary Tupper has been a problem at work projects. She said she wasn’t going to work at gardening. She was team captain. The rest of the team resented her not working. Several spoke of her attitude as getting worse. Ruth Tupper said she thought Mary should not be a leader, should get fifty swats, and have a work project at night. Rita Cordell has a bad attitude too.

Jimmy Moore told on himself, but there was a question about his motivation. Was be saving himself some punishment when someone else turned him in?  He said he wanted praise for telling on himself.

Jim had given instructions to Mike Prokes that a certain Janie should have a counselor beside her. Apparently Jim bad foreseen that something in the meeting would upset her. He had used his power to put her to sleep. When she awakened she would not know anything that had happened. Mike had not followed instructions. He forgot. Jim put to a vote what punishment Mike should get. Most voted for ten whacks, but some thought he should get fifty.

Jim insisted on taking ten stripes himself. Five were for Jimmy Moore and five for Mike. Jim had mentioned that if Mike received fifty he would take them for him, as he is a good worker. He was aware that Mike had no interest in living. “You wanted out so much, that you neglected something very important.”

Jim was hit ten times. Almost immediately blood clots circulated in his system. They reached his head and he was in terrible pain. However, he vowed he should come through it, as we still need him.

Those who had voted for fifty stripes for Mike, because they had heard Jim say he would take them instead, were required to file past Jim and look at his tongue which was ulcerated from speaking so much.

Mary and Rita both thought they should get fifty whacks, but on account of improper organization of the work crew, Jim exempted them. They’re too young to be in charge.

Jim said the most essential task which he could not neglect was to raise the necessary funds for the survival of this family. He took an offering by sum, requesting the names of those who gave. I put in another dollar.

Jim performed some healings.

On dismissing the meeting at 4.00 o’clock, Jim emphasized all should be sure to meditate at 6.00 and watch the speed limit because he had had to use his energy to keep himself alive.

I took home Contonia, Toby Stone and her two children, and Magnolia.

I got home at 4.45. I decided to sleep until 6.30, put up a lunch, but not eat breakfast.


24 July — 1975 — Thursday  
I took with me to the office some cheese and crackers and cherries, as well as my lunch.

I did not suffer greatly from lack of sleep during the day, although the pain in my neck returned. I was quite busy. I helped proof a contract for Bob O’Neill. John Braman dictated a letter and a memo to me, as Betty was in court today.

At noon I went to see the film, “The Emerging Woman,” which the BWAA vas showing again. I took notes so as to be able to give an introduction if we show it again to the Temple women. I ate outside afterwards.

Carol phoned me to tell me what to do about the Puerto Rico attorney’s fee billings, as we don’t have all the originals. She also gave me information for her time card. I had barely time to start to fill it out.

At home I exercised.

I did personal chores and washed my hair. I ate dinner and washed dishes. About 10.30 I started to wash clothes. I continued after listening to “In Conversation.” I finished about 12.45. I was very tired and the pain in my neck was severe.

I read Wilson.

I went to bed at 2.00.


25 July – 1975 — Friday  
I worked on Carol’s and my time cards. As Carol’s job numbers were unfamiliar to me, I had to look up all the sub-numbers, so I had more difficulty than usual.

I looked through the files for the original billings in the Puerto Rico case. I found one. I phoned the New York office and inquired about the two remaining which had been sent to New York by mistake. They could find no record of them.

I phoned Lorraine to tell her I may be chosen to go to Hawaii with the Temple. (Last night’s message asked for names of those who could go.)

I ate lunch at my desk. Chuck Stiles gave me information on how much it costs him to rent a car for weekends. I may look into this if I can’t find anyone to share my car.

I finished Wednesday’s journal entry and did Thursday’s. I ran in the park on getting home.

I cleaned the apartment, which took me two hours. I decided to do this tonight as I wanted to take my laundry to the laundromat tomorrow.

I prepared and ate dinner and washed dishes.

I intended to work on my journal two hours tonight, but I was too tired.

I decided to go to bed early and get up at 7.00, then type two hours.

I read in Wilson and went to bed at 12.00.


26 July – 1975 —  Saturday  
The alarm rang at 7.00, but I slept for an hour longer.

Instead of typing in my journal, I decided to go to the Coop first and type later.

I ate some cantaloupe and cold cereal. I prepared my laundry and loaded it in the car. I left for Corte Madera earlier than usual.

I put my soiled clothes in the Coop laundromat, then shopped for groceries. I didn’t listen to the Temple broadcast.

The weather was very warm.

When I got back to the apartment, I unloaded groceries and laundry. I put away the food and folded the clothing and linens.

I prepared and ate a meal and washed dishes.

Handling the food and laundry had taken so much time that I wasn’t able to do any work in my journal.

At 5.00 I lay down to sleep for an hour. Magnolia phoned that she and her sister, who was visiting, were away from home, would go directly to the service, but would like a ride home.

I pressed a few items for the apartment.

I left for service about 7.45, picked up Mary Lewis. Buses were unloading when we entered the Temple. I got a seat near the front but at the side.

There were the usual preliminary announcements, ride assignments. testimonials and congregational singing.

Karen Layton testified concerning Jim’s healing of Jim McElvane’s legs. He was doomed to be in a wheel-chair the rest of his life, but healthy bone tissue is growing again.

Jim on the podium told us that Turkey, the heartland of the anticommunist alliance, has been lost to the United States. Nuclear war is made certain.

Jim took the “only” offering rapidly. He moved the service along vigorously.

The choir sang and the band played.

Chairs had been removed from the platform for the presentation of a serious play which Jim had asked for. From my side seat I could not see part of the stage. The play showed the coming of Fascism to America. Blacks and liberals were behind barbed wires, and the Ku Klux Klan patrolled the concentration camp.

Jim spoke on the rise of the K.K.K. threat. We sang “Oh, Freedom,” changing one line to read: “Before I’ll be a slave. I’ll take 2000 capitalists to their grave.”

Jim took another offering, exhorting those who had money to give. No one with any minority blood will be safe from concentration camp. He told of how he raised one hundred dollars at 4.00 o’clock in the morning in Chicago. You must be willing to give your body as a living sacrifice.

During the healings Jim spoke to a woman’s son who had passed over in 1972.

At the end of the service, Jim called the names of many visitors, saying they should join the church.

The congregation came to the altar.

Details on the Hawaiian trip were given. A plane will be chartered. The fare will be $300 for seven days and seven nights.

I was among the first to go up to the altar. I went backstage to confirm that I wanted to go on the Hawaiian trip. My name is on the list, and I should have no trouble if I can raise the $300.

It was 12.30. So many people asked me for rides that, with the guests I was taking home, I had to make two trips. I intended to take Valor downtown, then Mary, Contonia, Rosezeeta, and Rosezeeta’s children, and come back for my guests, Kaye Gibbs, Beulah Pendleton, and two children. When Magnolia and her sister found that they would have to wait, they decided to find another ride.

When I was backstage I was told Tim Stoen wanted to see me (I had turned over for him some information from Bechtel). I told my riders I would be delayed. I couldn’t find Valor, was finally told she got another ride.

I was afraid Tim wanted to inquire about Dorothy’s escapade in Chicago, but he merely wanted to call on me Tuesday evening.

I took my two groups of riders home. Beulah had with her grandson, Dwayne Giles, and Lisa Gibson, daughter of Jane Gibson, the woman discussed in Wednesday’s meeting. Beulah said Lisa had asked to come with her instead of with her mother.

My radiator started boiling on the way home. I got the car safely home but am considerably worried because this is the third time the radiator has leaked, and I doubt whether patching can be effective any longer. I’ll have some additional expense to have the radiator repaired.

We reached home about 2.00.

We all had some watermelon, except Kaye, who is on a liquid reducing diet.

I gave Beulah the bed; the rest of us slept on the floor. I laid down at 2.30.


27 July – 1975 — Sunday  
I got up at 9.00, bathed and dressed.

I prepared breakfast as the others dressed. We had the usual items for breakfast.

Lisa rinsed the dishes after I had washed them. She is a sweet and polite child.

We left for the Temple service, which was scheduled for 12.00, a little after 11.00.

I stopped at Taft’s service station and had them fill the radiator.

The line at church vas not very long, and we were able to get into service before 12.00.

We heard the tape of Jim’s sermon given Friday in Los Angeles. He had echoed part of it taking the offering here. He talked of the difference between the “saving” of traditional churches and that which we offer. “If that Jesus can’t save you from the hell you’re in, how’s he going to save you after you’re dead?”  He doesn’t save you from the smog on the freeway. He’s going to save you from hell though they don’t know where it is. I want to be saved from those Los Angeles honky police. The only devil we believe in is hunger. You can’t believe in anything those honky preachers tell you, they just want to get your money.

The tape also contained a question period conducted by Jim in Los Angeles. Someone asked how to cure oneself from claustrophobia. Jim said: just lock yourself in and think of all the people you’re locked away from: Wallace, Los Angeles police. You must overcome your fears because the enemy can use them against you,

The second questioner wanted to know the latest news on Joanne Little, who is being tried for murdering a jail warden.  Jim: No, she is not freed yet. But he said he had committed himself to insuring that she will not go to her death. He had already seen to it that blacks were put on the jury.

Jim took the only offering during which he spoke movingly on sacrifice.

Jim said the trial at Santa Rosa had ended with the conviction on seven counts of the white men who had stabbed our brother. Jim had had to use his power, as the establishment was not interested in punishing the guilty. He had to prevail in this case because if this type of racial hate continued to be manifested, our access to the city would be endangered. He read a newspaper item to prove how in other places in the nation without Father’s influence the Ku Klux Klan is active. The item told of a K.K.K. meeting in Pennsylvania in which the Mormon Tabernacle Choir had sung.

Healings were performed.

The congregation went up to the altar. The meeting was dismissed early, about 3.30.

I bought some chicken for tonight. I ate my lunch in the car. Kaye got her belongings and took them to the bus. I put mine on bus no. 12.

The buses arrived in the Valley at 7.30; service started at 8.20.

There was congregational singing and many testimonials.

Jean Brown told how Jim got a guilty verdict out of the Sonoma County trial though everything was against us. Grace gave more details. Jim: Standing together is very important in such situations.

A tape of a former sermon was played on the methods of torture used by the CIA. Jim referred to himself as a “latent revolutionary,” saying that he might explode at any time.

Jim’s mother came in and was seated while the tape was being played.

Jim said that under Senate Bill No. 1, “1 would get fifteen years, $100,000 fine or death for that sermon.”  He reiterated many provisions of the bill. All the Senate liberals are sponsoring this bill. Even Kennedy would be so afraid that he’ll be more careful than Ford. There is no help from this system except its overthrow. I have only one way to remedy this. I have no time for anyone who messes around in little committees on social legislation. Stay in America if you want to fight the system, but don’t expect to find any peace. When it comes down to protecting monopoly capitalism, all Republicans and Democrats are the same. I don’t want peace in this system ruled by fascist pigs.  All the right stands are being taken by the government of Guyana. There is going to be a hell of a revolution here. It may not win, because people don’t care.

While he took the offering, Jim made an exhortation to resistance. He is tired of putting up with routine. Some of us are ready to revolt.

He revealed the truth of what went on with some in the promised land.  Some didn’t want to stay and work.  “I must be God because no one else could make some selfish people get along.”

Etta Thompson asked about the value of double agents. Jim said, Yes, I have some.

Jim sent some strong men, black and white, and one woman, Velma Darnes, on a mission concerning someone who was giving trouble.

Pauline Tropp [Groot] asked a dumb ass question, as Jim called it.

Dorothy Buckley said she gets propositioned when she’s pamphleting. She is offered $10 or $20. In view of what Jim said on presenting your body as a sacrifice, should she do it?  Jim said, no, you’re too young.

One woman wondered if she could make money by gambling. Jim: No, you can’t do it without being illegal. It would take my energy.

A man inquired about the effectiveness of the Buddhists’ burning their bodies. Jim: No. I have never believed in such actions.

Jim commented again on the United States’ being kicked out of Turkey. It is just one more step. Socialism is winning everywhere.

Jim had been holding us waiting for the return of the delegation he had sent, but as the time approached midnight he decided to dismiss us.

He had a brief meditation period, during which he saved Georgia Lacy from a stroke. Then he divined a cycle of three people whose birthday was 27 February. The third person did not respond; but Jim knew there were three. He discerned that it was a child and finally pinpointed little Hugh Doswell, whom be said he had saved from having kidney disease at sixteen. He had the nurse put the child on a regimen.

The congregation was allowed to go at 12.00.

I drank Sanka I had brought and ate the chicken I had bought. The bus was even more crowded than usual on Sunday evening. We didn’t leave until 1.00.

I slept, though not as soundly as usual. We got into San Francisco at 4.00. I took home Contonia and a carload of people to the Vernell Henderson apartments or near there. My radiator had begun to boil again, and I was worried about the distance I had to drive. I have to decide whether to get the car repaired or give it to the Temple or sell it.

I got home at 4.45.


28 July – 1975 —  Monday 
I typed in my journal from 5.00 to 6.00.

Carol was back in the office. She told me she talked briefly to Mabs [Edith’s sister] on the phone, hopes to see her when she returns to Gaithersburg. Carol is still having trouble with her finger, which does not look good at all.

She was not especially busy, gave me only two small memos. I spent most of the day on miscellaneous investigation of the files. Carol gave me copies of memos she had written on San Francisco jobs while in Gaithersburg to put in her chronological file.

I brought journal entries up to date, especially filling in some items on Sunday night’s events.

I have telephone duty during the lunch hour this week. I went for a walk afterwards to get some air. The day was pleasant but turned cold by closing time.

Carol had to go to the doctor at 4.15. I left soon after. Nevertheless, I was late for my appointment at Dr. Fudgen’s to have my teeth cleaned and examined. A new hygienist took care of me. Fudgen was ill, and I have to have another appointment so that he can look at the x-rays and examine my mouth further.

I had to wait an exceptionally long time for the bus on Divisadero, and the weather was now very cold. It was after 6.00 before I got home.

I did not exercise.

I prepared and ate dinner and washed dishes as quickly as possible so as to get at my journal.

I started work on my journal at 9.30, typed until a little past 11.30, as I had set a quota of four pages for myself.

I read Wilson for an hour. I was very sleepy.

I went to bed at 1.00.
29 July – 1975 — Tuesday  
I spent most of the day preparing material on Iran for Bob Garb to take with him on his trip. Originally scheduled for last Friday, this has been deferred until this week. I xeroxed much material concerning Bechtel’s extensive contracts with Iran and put it in a binder with division markers. I made extra copies of many of the documents to give to Tim Stoen so that the Temple will be informed concerning this massive assistance program.

Carol seemed to have little work to do.

I had telephone duty at lunch. Afterward I walked around outside.

Betty Vasil talked to me. She said that next week I was needed to work for John Stewart, the black attorney. Gene Larcher, a casual (temporary) employee, who has been working for him, is taking the rest of the summer off. When the replacement attorney in our unit is hired, Bob Garb wants me to be his secretary. If there is no replacement, I will be used to help out in the unit. I can take my vacation as I had planned.

I filled out forms requesting my vacation from 18 to 29 August.

Valita Robinson, Mr. Johnson’s secretary, has not been looking very well, missed some days at work last week. She seems very unhappy. She is a pretty, agreeable girl. She confided in me today that her work was very boring. She said, “Nothing ever gets done.” I have heard some remarks from some of the attorneys indicating impatience with Barney Johnson. He may not be very competent. I advised Valita on the one hand not to be too concerned about her time in the office, and on the other not to be afraid to make a move if she would feel happier.

I ran in the park tonight after getting home.

I took a bath, ending with cold water.

I ate quickly and washed dishes, as I expected Tim at 9.00. However, be phoned saying he had a mission to do, would arrive between 12.00 and 1.00.

I worked on my journal from 9.30 to 11.30. I finished typing the 16 to 31 January section and started to proofread.

I ate some nuts while listening to “In Conversation.”

I went to bed at 12.30 and slept until Tim arrived at 1.45. He has to be at the Temple tomorrow at 8.30 to see some lawyers. I told him of Carol’s leaving and my new assignment, that I hoped to go to Hawaii, and of the trouble with my radiator. Tim did not see Dorothy in Chicago but heard about the incident. I explained the background to him.
30 July – 1975 — Wednesday
This morning I went down to my car to put some water in the radiator, thinking it had boiled dry, but to my surprise it didn’t need water. I went back for my belongings to take to the office, then drove the car to the Temple lot. The radiator is still heating.

Waiting for the bus on Fillmore, I saw Inez Wagner. She and Mark are living in the Temple now. She said she was getting spoiled having nothing to do at home but take care of her room and one chore a week, but she might have to set up housekeeping. Mark’s father is suing for custody now that he is thirteen and able to take care of himself, and she has to show she is maintaining a home for him.

I spent the day on miscellaneous tasks for Carol.

I made yesterday’s journal entry.

I was on telephone duty at lunch.

I took a short walk afterwards. The weather was warm and pleasant.  I bought a small apple pie for thirty-five cents.

I left the office on time and went to the Temple lot where two buses were loading at the same time. On one I got a seat beside Milton [Miller] Bridgewater. I ate my lunch. I slept all the way to the Valley.

The bus arrived at 8.15. We came in while testimonials were being given.

The offering was taken.

Jean Brown spoke on the trial in Santa Rosa.

Larry Schacht showed slides on new strains of venereal disease which are more resistant to drugs. The purpose of showing the slides was to warn the young people against promiscuous sex relations and to encourage them to get treatment when they suspected infection. Mother made comments.

Jim entered about 10.00 as the slides were concluded.

Jim told how the blacks were driven out a town in Stanislaus County. The deputy police chief was here today. He was impressed with the publications office and garage. He says there is a great danger of concentration camps being opened. He wants Jim to leave for his own safety. Jim talked of taking his faithful and leaving. Who are the faithful? Children, seniors for the most part, teens. Most of those in their middle years are not worth your salt. Get away from materialism. Strip yourself of anything but the bare essentials.

Jim took a second offering by sum. Inquiring how many ask twenty people a day for donations and getting only six responses, Jim became angry.  You don’t love truth. You don’t love socialism. Some of you will undergo suffering. You don’t believe that I have the key to life.  You don’t want to help people. The Universal Mind will lift the veil and you will learn in adversity what you didn’t learn in prosperity.

The Temple without our request was voted into the Guyanese Council of Churches unanimously. Jim said he messed up the strategy of some of the churches, as they didn’t want us in.

“The Anguish,” the play on concentration camps, was presented again.  The place was described as Tulelake [Tule Lake], California, 1976. Those identifying themselves as inmates of the camp, such as a black informant of the CIA, a white woman married to a black whom she betrayed, did so with the lights on instead of in the dark as before. I had a good seat this time and could see the action well. Persons taking parts were Patty Cartmell, Ron Talley, Geraldine Brady, Patti Chastain, Larry Schacht, Garry Lambrev, Michelle Wagner, among others.  Some in hoods and robes took the roles of Ku Klux Klansmen.

Jim talked about Senate Bill No. 1.

We listened to the national anthem of Guyana. Jim read the words, Loretta Cordell played the melody, Marcy [Jones] and Norm Ijames sang.

Jim said there was confirmation from medical specialists that aspirin prevents heart attacks many years after he had taught its use.

Jim had talked half an hour on the radio to the promised land. He gave a sermon on socialism and the Bible. The ham radios were quiet; all were listening.

Jim had warned Reverend [Pop] Jackson in the promised land against Bible reading. If he persists, he won’t see another birthday.

There is a big spurt in the sale of prison furniture and equipment for detention camps. Two new jails are being built in Alameda County trial for people who await and can’t afford bail.

Jim took a third offering by sum.

Jim wants Wesley Johnson to help with the competition for contributions between Los Angeles and San Francisco in the Los Angeles meeting. We need an airplane. Wesley regretted the necessity for having to raise money through a competition. Jim: We have to reach them on that level until they come to socialism. Some people in Los Angeles are sitting with money in the bank. The competition was planned for 31 August.

Wanda Swinney was commended for staying in a bloody fight between two dogs. Father stepped out and stopped it, saving Wanda from serious injury.

Judy Ijames saved the life of a woman in the hospital.  Her husband said he knew good nursing when he saw it.

Husain [Hassan] Smith was commended for changing dramatically. He takes care of his dog now.

Jim warned again that all should have nothing to do with Birdie Marable. No one should visit nor telephone anyone living there. Her tenants could have left.

While we stood, Jim gave healing and protection to several. I could not see who they were but on the way home Magnolia said she was saved from a stroke. One person did not answer when details concerning her life were given. When he identified her, Jim refused to give her the revelation unless she came with $200 on Friday. Magnolia said it was Mary Griffith and that the parents had money.

The meeting was dismissed at 12.30.

The bus left at 1.30. A little difficulty occurred in getting the young people in back quiet. But after this was accomplished, I slept soundly all the way to San Francisco.

We arrived at 3.40. On account of my radiator’s boiling, I gave rides only to Mary and Magnolia, so that I would not have to go out of my way.

I got home at 4.20. I lay down to sleep for half an hour, intending to get up and press clothes at 5.00 o’clock.


31 July – 1975 — Thursday  
When the alarm rang I decided to doze a few minutes longer and went back to sleep. I woke at 6.30 and had only enough time to get to work.

I was at the telephone during my lunch hour again.

Afterward I went to the bank and deposited my check, taking $25.00 in cash.

After work I took the car to Taft’s filling station to find out if a leak in the radiator was causing it to boil. The trouble was caused by a broken fan belt. A new belt and a few minute’s labor to install it cost me $9.03.

I did personal chores and washed my hair.

I prepared and ate dinner and washed dishes.

I washed underwear and a couple of outer garments.

I read in Wilson.

I didn’t get to bed until 2.00.


July 1975 Journal References

Temple/Temple Members
Debbie Blakey
Tommy Bogue
Geraldine Brady
Jean Brown
Milton [Miller] Bridgewater
Michael Briggs
Denise Buckmaster
Dorothy Buckley
Terri Buford
Patty Cartmell
Chris Cordell
Loretta Cordell
Rick Cordell [Jr]
Rita Cordell
Lucy Crenshaw
Velma Darnes
Hugh Doswell
Liz [Forman]
Kaye Gibbs
Dwayne Giles
Lisa Gibson
Kathy Grauman
Mary Griffith
Pauline Tropp [Groot]
Garry Lambrev Tom Grubbs
Magnolia [Harris]
Vernell Henderson
Glenn Hennington
Judy Ijames
Norman Ijames
Reverend [Pop] Jackson
Cynthia Jacobs
Ronnie James
Sylvia James
Claire Janaro
Wesley Johnson
Marcy [Jones]
Wanda King
Georgia Lacy
Karen Layton
Larry Layton
Chris Lewis
Mary Lewis
Vincent Lopez
Carolyn Looman
Dee-Dee Macon
Rory Macon
Henry Mercer
Jimmy Moore
Jim McElvane
Teddy McMurray
Carrie Page
Beulah Pendleton
Ann Peterson
Mike Prokes
Larry Schacht
Dean Scott
Reggie Shaw
Mark Sly
Hassan Smith
Von Smith
[Dorothy] Solomon
Mae Spriggs
Carol Stahl
Grace Stoen
Tim Stoen
Toby Stone
Wanda Swinney
Ron Talley
Etta Thompson
Mary Tupper
Inez Wagner
Mark Wagner
Michelle Wagner
Julene Wideman
Marvin Wideman
Joe Wilson

Chicago Trip
Hawaii Trip
Santa Rosa Trial
Sonoma Country Trial
[Jim] Bogue home
West House

[Lester] Kinsolving
Birdie Marable

Non Temple Names
[President] Ford
Dr. Fung
Jean Gibson
Jesse Jackson
Christ Jesus
[John] Kennedy
Dr. Schaupp
Dr. Justin Williams

Edith’s Sisters/Relatives
Dorothy [Edith’s sister]
Mabs [Edith’s sister]

Bechtel / People / Edith Work
Bechtel Women for Affirmative Action
Betty Barclay
John Braman
Fred Abbot
Gaithersburg pouch
Bob Garb
Barbara Gersh
Mr. Johnson
Gene Larcher
Lorraine [de la Fuente –from SFSC]
Bob O’Neil
New York Office
Pipeline and Production Services Division
Vlita Robinson
Chuck Stiles
Tom Thomason
Walt Vreeburg

SFSC – San Francisco State College
Edmund Wilson (author – of book Edith was reading)
Business Week magazine
“In Conversation” ABC radio program
“The Emerging Woman” film
“The Anguish” a play
Fisherman’s Wharf, SF
Cost Plus store, SF
Safeway store, SF
Ferry Building, SF
Coop food store, SF
UC [Univ. of  California] Hospital


South America

Buttonwillow, CA
Carmel, CA
Clarkesburg, WV
Corte Madera, CA
Georgetown, DC
Houston, TX
Taft, CA
Tulelake, CA

concentration camps
Ku Klux Klan
Commission on Civil Rights, Indianapolis
Mormon Tabernacle Choir
Senate Bill 1
Monopoly capitalism
Guyanese Council of Churches