Edith Roller Journals: October 1977

Transcribed from her journals by Don Beck (September 2008)

RYMUR 89-4286-HH-2-150 through 89-4286-HH-2-166, Public Relations-PT Journal (October 1-25)
RYMUR 89-4286-C-3-A-5-(1) through 89-4286-C-3-A-5-(80), handwritten draft (October 1-31)

List of people and groups mentioned in this Journal


1 October – 1977 Saturday   
I got up at 8:00. I went to the Temple to sign the letter I had written for Laurie on the Indian program at Laney College. I had breakfast: pancakes and syrup, bacon and milk. Only a small number of people came for breakfast. I went on to the Haight Community Food Store by the Fillmore and Haight buses. I had about $5.50 left (with $1.00 lent to me by Virginia). I just came out with enough change left for newspapers until I get my allowance. I have hamburger and enough vegetables left for Sunday dinner, so that I didn’t need to go to the Northpoint Coop. I walked home. I stopped at the park for a brief rest. I got home at 12.15, had a toasted cheese sandwich.

I napped off and on from 1.30 to 4.00, now and then disturbed by Lavana, who couldn’t sleep.

I went to the Kaiser Hospital to see Kate Walker. I had a hard time finding her room. Dorothy Stookey had visited her Friday night. Kate said she might have gallstones. I stayed until about 6.00.

I had dinner at the Temple. Only one bus came this week from Los Angeles, according to Ray Godshalk. I talked to Bob Rankin who is there on the work crew with Archie. They are making repairs on houses which people are donating. I talked also with Inez Wagner, who works in the Los Angeles kitchen with Rosie Ijames.

The service was out early 9.30. Mabel Johnson has taken up with Etta Thompson and tries to get rides to and from church with Estelle. She is still unhappy over her son and because her friends are in Guyana and she isn’t.

Carrie Langston stayed in the apartment as usual. As Estelle was home, Carrie slept on the floor. She says Fireside Lodge has been sold, so Mary Wotherspoon will be leaving soon for Guyana. I read and had a snack. I went to bed at 12.00.


2 October – 1977 Sunday
I woke about 8.00 and bathed. The use of the kitchen arranged itself smoothly as people ate in turn. Carrie had brought her own food. I had an egg, sausage, toast. Carrie gave me some bacon. I did the dishes. The service was at 11.00. There was a fairly good crowd. The meeting was quite short. It was out at 1.00.

I went home. I tried to sleep before eating but I couldn’t. The day was very hot. I got up at 3.30. The others who came home were Lavana, Etta, and later Estelle. I had hamburger, salad, green beans. Lavana gave me a piece of lemon pie. After doing dishes again, I lay down for half an hour, was half an hour late for the 6.30 service.

We had two slide shows made by the Federal Council of Churches. The first was on the multi-national corporation Gulf and Western and its control of the Dominican Republic, its responsibility for impoverishment of the country’s workers. The second slide show was on the support of South Africa and its apartheid policies by United States banks. Laurie Efrein distributed copies of a letter on the Pendleton 10, blacks who have been punished for defending themselves against a Nazi group. Members signed the letter for mailing. The service was out at 8.30.

The opera “Don Carlos” by Giuseppe Verdi was being presented on the radio and I listened to it while getting something to eat and reading. Lavana talked a good part of the time. I decided not to listen to the last scene. I turned off the radio at 11.15 and went to sleep.

3 October – 1977 Monday
I worked a few hours for Dale Huffman and Elizabeth Unkovic, two new attorneys. I volunteered to help them as I perceived no secretary had been assigned to them. I worked a little on journal entries. I finished reading The Lazlo Letters. I ate my lunch outside. It was hot.

I went to the Temple for dinner, which was very good. We had barbecued chicken. sweet potatoes, green beans. Those who wished were given a second helping. I took some chicken home. I defrosted and cleaned out the refrigerator. I emptied out spoiled food and washed containers.

I had gotten $7.00 from Debbie Blakey and given it to Rocki to buy cotton panties for me. Wards is selling a package of ten for $6.38. and most of the women have been getting them.

Lavana has not been feeling well. It is turning cool in the evenings. She is cold, especially her feet. I was worried about her and barrowed Rocki’s electric pad for her.

Another group is leaving for Guyana. I heard that Mary Wotherspoon is one of them.

I read the newspaper and ate a snack. I tried to stop Lavana from talking. I went to bed at 11.15.

4 October – 1977 Tuesday
I had no work in the morning. I had time to do several personal tasks.

Last night June Crym called me saying the Temple received a call for me from Kaiser from a woman named Fran Lyon who inquired about insurance in connection with an accident. It was a puzzle as I reported no accident, and we didn’t know how Kaiser got the Temple number to call me. I phoned Ms. Lyon. She had no record of my name in such a connection. She believed the telephone operator must have misunderstood the name.

I made out my needs slip. I made my rounds for the United Way, leaving cards for the people on my list. I phoned Marquita. She has a job with a real estate company where her dad works. She was in a good mood though still in pain from whiplash. She is distressed about a scar on her face, but it may fade. Deb Bowen had flown home. She expected to be in the office in a week or two. Marquita was unhappy because Dorothy had not called her. I told her there was no sign of a replacement for her as yet.

I ate lunch at my desk. I saw the film, “Dawn of the Second Century,” about the J. R. Reynolds Tobacco Company and the conglomerate it had formed, Reynolds Industries, a very clever well-made film.

Terry Brown, a new attorney, who speaks French — I believe he is Algerian — gave me a three-page letter in French to type. Lamy has left on a three-week vacation to France. Norma was out this afternoon. I got a draft from Zaid Jawdat to type at the end of the day.

I had a good meal at the Temple. As is usual, the amount of food put on my plate was too much for my need. I turned in my needs slip. At home Estelle, Lavana, Wanda and Etta were having a convivial time. Estelle was packing a box to be sent to Guyana with a party leaving tonight (probably Mary Wotherspoon was one). I later heard that they were to leave with the box. Lavana was given a wooden box at the Temple to pack her belongings because she didn’t have proper luggage. I read newspapers and had a snack. I went to bed at 11.30.

5 October – 1977 Wednesday
For Terry Brown I had two items to put on MagCard. I worked a little on journal entries but made little progress. Norma Bondoc, who has been Philippe Lamy’s secretary, had gone to the doctor who ascertained that she is pregnant. She is pleased, but I have overheard remarks from her that indicate she may be having trouble with her husband.

My elbow is still causing me some pain. I ate lunch outside. I went to the office supplies company and got an adapter for my typewriter. Annie Schroeder, who drives to work from the Sunset, took me home tonight so that I could bring my typewriter.

I washed and changed clothes. I went to the Temple to have dinner. Laurie asked me to write a letter to the Chronicle concerning a story on the supposed suicide of John William Head. The writer insinuated that the Temple was responsible or perhaps even murdered Head and profited from his death, a charge originated by “New West.” After finishing the letter, I attended the rest of the service.

A film on Leonid Brezhnev was shown, with scenes from Russian history through which ha has lived.

Wanda has been getting our personal supplies, which are handed cut after service on Wednesday by Ollie Smith. She is the only one of the Widemans who stayed in the Temple, having married a member. But she seems to have the bad disposition of the other Widemans. I waited downstairs for her for half an hour. I then found her practicing songs (like the other Widemans she has a good voice), and she let me know she would come when she felt like it. She was very rude when she did come. I was tired and didn’t like to go out to the bus stop alone (an elderly woman’s purse was snatched the other day in broad daylight and her skull broken when she fell on the concrete — she died). Vernell Henderson witnessed Ollie’s behavior, but she believed it better to put up with frustrations during this interim period. She took me and Wanda home. I understand why Wanda doesn’t like to try to get supplies from Ollie. I had received bath soap, enough for all six of us, and laundry soap.

Bates used to tell me of Rocki Breidenbach’s longing to find a man, usually someone much younger than she is. She was continually with one man or another. I rarely paid any attention to them. Now, according to gossip, she is seen with a black man named Roosevelt Turner, says she is going to marry him. Estelle has gone to Los Angeles, probably for two weeks. I read newspapers and had a snack. I went to bed at 12.00.

6 October – 1977 Thursday
I slept until 8.00. I phoned Dorothy that I was not coming in, that I was going to see the doctor at Kaiser about my sore elbow.

Lavana had mentioned last night that someone had eaten her last egg. She thought it was Estelle. When I thought about it, I was convinced that mine would have been taken also. I had two which I intended to eat for Sunday breakfasts. Somebody had been using my toothpaste when I left it in the bathroom, and I had to bring it to my bedroom. Soap which Wanda continually put in the bathroom was as continually taken away. This morning I made my displeasure evident about losing the eggs, which were indeed gone. Etta thought Estelle had eaten them. She is said to have two for breakfast every day. I announced my plan to eat some of the meat I think she (Estelle) has in the freezing compartment of the refrigerator. I thought it would be a good idea to have a meeting of Etta, Lavana, Virginia and I to discuss other people’s food and the common supplies (Wanda doesn’t eat in the apartment and spends little time in the kitchen, so I didn’t intend to include her).

The meeting never worked out, as I could not find a time when we would all be home. Etta said she would bring me a half dozen eggs “to keep the peace,” but I intend to speak to Estelle about taking others’ food. Lavana has told me that people take her food. Etta and Judy Merriam are the worst offenders, according to her. Lavana calls taking or begging food from others “swaying” and has contempt for the practice, which is very widespread in the communes.

I went to Kaiser about 9.30 and saw an orthopedist, Anton M. Kalafatich.

He had x-rays taken and diagnosed bursitis. I think it may have been caused by my slipping on the dining room floor at the Temple one day where somebody had spilled soup. I had thought I was not hurt. The injury may have been aggravated by the heavy typing job at work I did for Betty Vasil and the typing I did at the Temple when the chair and typing stand were not at the correct height. The doctor gave me a choice of treatments: aspirin, indocin, cortisone (one shot), or physical therapy. I decided on a prescription of indocin.

I came home and did my laundry. I went to the Temple for lunch. I bought two pairs of shoes at a little second-hand store on Geary across from the Temple, paying $1.25 for both pairs. I walked up to Sacramento for an ice cream cone. I Changed my shoes at home and left my packages. I took the bus to Mission Street. I walked from 9th to about 19th, looking at the goods in second-hand stores. I went through three: the Purple Heart Thrift Store where I bought a pair of tennis shoes for 49¢, and the San Francisco Thrift Store, and GoodWill. I was particularly interested in finding jeans end slips, and will know where to come when I get money for clothes.

I went to the Temple direct for dinner. On arriving home, I sorted clothes.

I did personal chores. Wanda had a list of items needed in Jonestown which is given to women when they are to leave for Guyana, but she let us copy it now. I washed my hair, did my hand laundry. Then I ate a snack and read. Tonight KKHI broadcast four hours of a fund-raising show for the Metropolitan Opera in New York, featuring opera numbers sung by some of their stars. I heard a good part of it. I thought I went to bed by midnight, but it must have been closer to 1.00 o’clock, as I found in the morning I had set the clock wrong.


7 October – 1977 Friday
I overslept an hour, was late to work. I filled out my time card. Betty asked me to sit in the file room a couple of hours. Nora was out and Karen had to go to the dentist. I accomplished very little. I worked on a few journal entries. I phoned Lorraine, arranged to pick up next week my books which are stored at her house. I ate outside. Dorothy left early, so I sat in the Word Processing Center an hour or so at the end of the day.

I went to the Temple to eat, then home. went to the Coop to buy groceries.

I listened to the live broadcast of the San Francisco Opera. They performed Das Rheingold by Wagner. I ironed clothes in the kitchen while listening. I read newspapers. I went to bed at 12.00.

8 October – 1977 Saturday 
I got up at 8.00. I went to the Temple for breakfast and to see Laurie about letters she wanted written. Many people were there for breakfast, because most were going to a rally on the Bakke decision at a park in Oakland. I arranged to see Laurie tonight.

I went to the Haight Community Food Store. I bought a small amount of vegetables and fruit; I needed less than usual as I will be going to work only one day next week. As I pushed my cart home, I thought my arm was better.

From our apartment, Wanda, Etta and Virginia went to the rally. Lavane stayed home. I had a sandwich. I called Lorraine. I told her I would try to pick up my books next week; Dick Tropp thinks the Temple can send them to Jonestown for me. Lorraine told me about a San Francisco Examiner story last night on the Stoen custody case; she read some of the article to me. Her attitude has been influenced by such stories describing purported hard conditions at our mission and inciting fear of the leaders. She is afraid for me to go.

I took a nap in Virginia’s room, so as not to be disturbed by Lavana getting up and down. The others came home. I had thought that those who went to the rally were going to have a picnic, but they didn’t. Sandwiches were distributed to them. The rally drew a large crowd up to 5000, was sponsored by several organizations including the Temple. There were several speakers.

I prepared my dinner; fried chicken, bread and gravy, salad. I went to the Temple service. Jim spoke to us from Jonestown. The transmission was poor and I heard only a little. I got instructions from Laurie. She wants a letter to the Examiner editor on yesterday’s article. We discussed details.

I was late getting to the bus stop and was alone. I was a little fearful, remembering the elderly woman whose skull was broken. A black man at the bus stop told me of a purse snatching he had just observed on Geary. I got home at 10.30. I read newspapers. I went to bed at 12.00.


9 October – 1977 Sunday
I got up at 8.00. I had for breakfast grapefruit, pancakes, an egg and sausage.

I went to the Temple for the service. This was the first time neither Jim nor Marcy has been here. No one except the assistant ministers was on the platform. Several rows of seats were saved for guests. I was in the next row and I was moved when the guests came in at 12.30, after the preliminary part of the service. Prexy Nesbitt, a black who is an expert on African nations, was the only guest who spoke. He made a short presentation. The other guests didn’t speak and were not introduced. They were shown slides of the Guyana mission after the service. The service was open today to relatives and friends of members. Ora Pearce’s daughters with new companions attended with several children, to whom I was introduced. John Henneke, who used to be married to one of the girls, has been working regularly at the Temple. Ora comes to services sometimes.

I went home at 2.30. Etta and Lavana were there too. I prepared and ate dinner — broiled chicken, salad, corn on the cob. I slept on Virginia’s bed to avoid being disturbed by Lavana. I slept an hour and a half. I drafted and typed a letter on the Stoen case, in response to a derogatory article in the Chronicle; I concentrated on what we are doing educationally in Guyana.

I went to the evening service late but was in time to see a film made by the Soviets on the Angolan revolution. Today is Ever’s 107th birthday. A tribute had been paid to her in the morning service. Etta had made a cake which was served after the evening service. We didn’t wait. I had a snack and was in bed by 12.00.


10 October – 1977 Monday
I slept until 8.30. I planned to stay home all week except for tomorrow. I ate a piece of grapefruit. I called Lorraine, told her I’d try to get over for my books on Wednesday. Lavana, Etta, Virginia and Wanda all slept until about the same time. Wanda is off today on account of Columbus Day. Virginia went to the Temple. The others, including Wanda, got something to eat in the kitchen. I waited until the others were through before I started work. Laurie had given me a list of people mentioned in People’s Forum to whom I was to write letters of support. I had almost finished one when my new typewriter stopped working. I finished several letters by hand. Wanda had gone out. Etta packed. Lavana didn’t feel well, went to bed.

I went to the Temple for lunch. There were more people there then usual on account of the holiday. I turned in my letters. Laurie said my letter on the Stoen case was excellent not a word was changed. I walked back to 1029 by Sutter street. I wrote two more letters for Laurie.

Rocki came by. She, Judy and Doreen had been before Council. Complaints had been made by Doreen with regard to Rocki’s use of her car, which she drives for communal purposes. Rocki said Doreen was jealous of her association with Roosevelt Turner, whom she calls “Turner,” a big black man. Rocki said Jack Beam had remarked on Doreen’s jealousy. Nevertheless, Rocki has to turn over her schedule every day to Doreen. Rocki and Lavana revealed their resentment of the nurses, Lavana was put off by some attitude of Wanda, She also did a clever take-off of Doreen Greaves, Rocki is going to take my typewriter to Bryan Kravitz who may be able to find what is the matter with it,

I went for a walk up Polk and down Van Ness. The day was nice. I went to the Temple for dinner. Dick Tropp told me to bring in the rest of my books, which can be shipped. Don Sly remarked that he was trying to sell the buses. At home I read newspapers and made some journal entries,


11 October – 1977 Tuesday 
I went to work today because I didn’t want to miss the departmental meeting. It was at 9.00. There was a film on the United Way, the one that was shown to the canvassers. Mike Conheim of Data Processing gave a survey on the operation of Word One, It was too technical for those unknowledgeable about text editing and presented nothing new to those who did. A little controversy threatened between Virginia and Dorothy.

Nothing was said about computer plans for the Legal Department, Later Denise told me it was planned to hire a man as supervisor. She thought that perhaps he would be introduced today, but he wasn’t. I don’t know how this change will affect my status.

I made out my needs list, I did a little work on journal entries, At lunchtime a film called “Ocean Heritage” Was shown. It was about Newfoundland and Labrador. I made the rounds of those on my United Way list who hadn’t yet returned their cards, I collected a few more. I did a little more work on a draft for Butler. I put in my time card to cover the week.

I went to the Temple to eat. At home I exercised. I worked on journal entries for an hour or so. I read newspapers. I had an exchange with Lavana. She earlier had had trouble with Virginia whom she doesn’t like.

She doesn’t want me to keep the light and my radio on in the evenings, Several times in order not to disturb her I have sat on a hard chair in the kitchen, but I decided I am entitled to some comfort. She has the entire day to sleep. I told her my attitude,


12 October – 1977 Wednesday
I was up at 8.00. I had had trouble sleeping after the argument with Lavana, I spoke to her normally and after a time she responded. Rocki took me to breakfast. Viola Godshalk had told me of counseling sessions with Rocki and Doreen and Judy. Rocki was suspected of taking some of the receipts from the flea market. She eats in restaurants with Roosevelt Turner, which is the reason for keeping a close check of her schedule. Viola said Mabel Johnson teamed up with Rocki too and received benefits — restaurant meals and rides for visiting her relatives and shopping, I think. I fried chicken to have for lunch at Lorraine’s while Rocki took someone to the doctor.

At 11.00 Rocki drove me to Lorraine’s to get the rest of my books. Rocki and I carried them downstairs and loaded them in the car. Lorraine arrived home. I had brought bread and lettuce as well as the chicken. Lorraine made salad and furnished watermelon and we all had lunch. I had shown Rocki pictures of Lorraine’s daughters. Rocki told Lorraine of life in the Temple and of her children in Guyana, Wesley and Melanie. Melanie prepares all the baked foods, cooks at night, doing what she likes to do best.

We left about 1.00 as Rocki had to take Lavana to the doctor. Rocki told me about her other daughter. She has left the Temple, joined her father. According to Rocki, she was overworked in the Valley, spent long hours with no relief in the tower. She was wrongly accused of “too white behavior” and found this too much to take. Rocki said the unhappy result was caused by the staff’s ignoring Jim’s instructions; Jim had told Rocki that her daughter could return at any time.

I tried to sleep, had no success. Etta told me she was leaving for Guyana on Friday, not to tell anyone. Wanda and Estelle know. I hunted among my papers for my list of books, but couldn’t find it. I went to the Temple to eat. Rocki unloaded the books at the Temple with slight help from the men, including Turner, whom I closely observed for the first time. He is a big black. For about two hours I listed my books by hand, as Dennis Allen had to have an inventory. Then I found my typed list among the books themselves.

Dennis will crate the books. Jim Randolph is in charge of shipping. The service was at 7.30. The main feature was a film on Brezhnev’s trip to Cuba. The service was out at 10.00. Virginia and I stayed briefly with Etta, who was trying to obtain her personal needs, but Etta decided not to wait. I ate a snack and read. Lavana made no objection. I went to bed at 11.15.


13 October – 1977 Thursday
I went to the Temple for breakfast. I put my laundry in the washer and dryer. I had lunch at the Temple. I tried to see Dick Tropp in order to get my Russian books from the Law Office in order to add them to the shipment being sent to Guyana, but he has been rushing around and I could not find him. I received money ($3.00) from Debbie Blakey in order to buy manicure items to send with Etta for Bates. I had dinner at the Temple and walked home.

I washed my hair and did my hand laundry. Lavana was in bed at 8.30, and so as not to disturb her I read in the kitchen until 1.00 o’clock, when I went to bed. Sometime during the night I awoke to find that Estelle had returned from Los Angeles. I was too sleepy to notice that Inez Wagner had come back with her. They had dropped Inez’s son Mark at the Temple. He is scheduled to leave for Guyana tomorrow at the same time as Etta.

14 October – 1977 Friday
I went to the Temple for breakfast. The breakfasts served at the Temple have been very good. People are served individually as they come and are few enough to be accommodated at one table.

Etta has been doing her last-minute shopping and packing. Lavana and Virginia don’t know yet that she is leaving. I phoned the General Office Equipment Company that my new typewriter won’t work. They promised to put it in order if I would bring it in. I took the typewriter to the store at about 12.00. My elbow is much better since I have been taking the prescribed indocin, and although the typewriter is heavy to carry, it didn’t hurt badly to carry it. I took the Muni bus to Woolworth’s on Market and purchased several separate manicure items for Bates. The cost with tax was just $3.05.

I than took the bus to the Northpoint Coop and purchased some items there. I ate dinner at the Temple. Jim Randolph had instructed Etta and Inez with Mark to be at the shipping room at 7.00 with their luggage. Etta had a footlocker and two duffle bags full besides her hand luggage, out I heard that she had no difficulty getting it on the plane. It may have cost the Temple extra though. I learned that Dick Tropp was leaving for Guyana too, which is the reason he has been so busy lately. I had a talk with him. He is going over for three weeks to discuss public relations and the Temple legal problems. He expects to be in the states until the litigation is finished, will probably teach at Santa Rosa in the spring. He will make $10,000 in four months. Nedra (formerly Johnny Mae) Yates left for Guyana with the group tonight also. She was permitted to take with her small dog which she carried around with her wherever she goes.

At home I pressed clothes. I listened to the opera, which was Faust by Charles Gounod, on my radio, the first time I have heard the entire work. Levana took no interest in it, although the announcer explained the action.

In fact she showed her displeasure, but I ignored her. The opera ended about 11.30, and I went to bed.


15 October – 1977 Saturday
I got up at 6.00. Estelle took a four-hour exam for real estate broker this morning. I went to the Temple for breakfast and then up to the Haight Community Food Store and bought a small amount of vegetables and fruit. I pushed my cart home. The sun had come out and it was warm. In the park between Eddy and Turk a big bunch of men’s clothing had been dumped. I looked through it. Mostly it consisted of sock and neckties of very good quality. The socks looked as if they would fit me, and I found two shirts which I can also wear. I sorted out most of what is usable and took it with me. Earlier on the street I had found a pair of men’s moccasins, in good shape.

I had a cheese sandwich and a tomato for lunch. I slept about an hour and a half. For dinner I fried some chicken liver, ate it with whole grain rice and a big salad.

I went to the Temple for service. It was short. There was a good deal of singing. The usual “one offering” was taken early, but later Norm, who conducted the meeting, asked for special donations to buy curtains for the houses in Guyana. Carrie Langston came to our apartment and occupied Wanda’s bed. Wanda stayed with Ruby Johnson, Ruby Carroll’s elderly mother, as she often does. Doreen Greaves stays with her during days, works at night. I had a snack and read newspapers. I went to bed about 11.00.


16 October – 1977 Sunday
Lavana got up at 7.15 and prepared her breakfast and dinner. Virginia went to the Temple to eat. I got up at 6.00. During the night, although I had slept well, at intervals I had heard something dripping. Inez, when she got up, discovered that the hot water pipe was leaking. On my way to the Temple I reported it to the landlord. It was repaired when I came home after the service. Lavana, who always complains she scarcely sleeps at all, had not heard anything during the night. I had grapefruit, pancakes, an egg, and sausage.

The morning service was uneventful and rather short. Norm conducted it and took a second offering, saying that contributions were down and we needed more funds for both the needs here and in Guyana. Only a few people came from Los Angeles. Ray Godshalk didn’t come up. Viola had a letter from him. He says it is planned to send a bus to Los Angeles only every two weeks now.

After the service was out about 2.00, I went home to eat. Lavana came too. Estelle and Valysha arrived later. Lavana ate her dinner quickly and lay down. I had round steak and cauliflower. I slept for an hour and a half. I pressed the ties I had found yesterday and took them to the Temple, gave them to Norm. I had earlier given him the moccasins I had found.

Wanda had told me previously that she and June Crym are on a committee which is starting to take healing affidavits again. Nothing has been done on them since Phyllis Chaikin left and then Jennie Cheek a little later. I am to type them as 1 did before. Wanda gave me some this morning, mostly old ones which needed corrections. The new ones are not well written, as no one yet knows how to put them in good form.

The accounting office has been rearranged very tastefully. Bettie McCann let me use the IBM typewriter I had given to the Temple and had used previously when I was  typing the healing affidavits.

I worked on the affidavits throughout the service except when Jim spoke to us on the radio. He said the young people were having a dance at the moment. The menu had included frog legs and sweet potatoes. Eight hundred people are now at the mission. Spanish, Portuguese end Chinese are being taught. Sixty-three more housing units had been completed; furniture was being made. He said an influx of “guests” was expected.

I didn’t get home until 9.30 (service had ended about 9.00), and Lavana was already in bed. I read in the kitchen. The opera being given was Rossini’s Semiramade, which I knew Lavana wouldn’t like, and I didn’t want to argue with her. I went to bed about 12.00.


17 October – 1977 Monday
I went back to the office today. Barbara Vas had jury duty and asked if  I would sit at her desk and handle her work. She is Robert Galbreath’s secretary. He had given her a good deal of typing, which I put on the Mag A typewriter from his drafts. She returned shortly before noon, as she wasn’t selected to serve on the jury, but she has to go back tomorrow. I supposed that a new supervisor might be on duty at the Word Processing Center, but Dorothy was there alone. Denise Price, who has been keeping me informed on the situation, said she had not heard anything more. I ate lunch outside. I spent the afternoon finishing the typing I had for Barbara.

I went to the Temple to eat. The shipping room was not open, and Laurie was not in the Lawyer’s Office and hadn’t arrived yet for dinner, so I couldn’t do anything about my Russian books. At home I did my exercises. I worked on my journal entries, then read the newspaper. Lavana was friendly enough at first, though she was grumbling because Estelle and Valysha had eaten most of the center of a piece of watermelon when she had offered them some. She became increasingly annoyed as the evening wore on at my keeping the light and radio on, because she was trying to sleep. I said nothing to her, as I am taking it for granted that I can work or read in my room until 11.00. At length, she joined Estelle when she came home. Judy came in and talked to me for a while. I prepared my lunch for tomorrow. I went to bed at 11.30.


18 October – 1977 Tuesday
I sat at Barbara’s desk again this morning. Galbreath gave me some more typing which kept me busy into the afternoon. Barbara returned before noon and was finished with her jury obligation. At lunchtime I walked up to Stacey’s and bought the book I had ordered through them, The Rise of the Colored Races by Keith Irvine. Dorothy sent me a library copy of the book, but assume I shall have to return it to her.

The book cost me $10.65 with tax. A few hours during the afternoon I wrote journal entries.

I went to the Temple for dinner. I sat beside Viola, who told me about difficulties the women are having in the other Geary apartments. Irene Dakins got to her feet at the communal meeting last Thursday to complain about Florine Dyson, with whom she rooms. The matter was taken up in private counsel. Viola said Florine denied everything; she screams when problems are discussed. Nothing has improved. Florine goes to bed about 7.00, then gets up at 2.30, makes noise and prepares food. She eats at intervals all day. The newest complaint is about Jossie (pronounced Jossie) Chambliss who lives in the apartment with Mabel Johnson, Judy Merriam and Rocki Breidenbach. Judy told me last night that Jossie was angering people by insisting that she believed in the Bible. She and Virginia Middleton, while preparing vegetables at the church, became so furious with each other that it was feared they were going to attack each other with the knives they were using; some said they did try to attack each other. Yesterday Jossie, having apparently endured all the disapproval she could take, announced she was leaving. She told Rocki to load all her belongings in the car as she was moving out. Rocki got in touch with the Temple authorities who told her to accede to Jossie’s every whim. (This is Rocki’s version.) Later Chris Kice arranged to have Jossie moved in with Ruby Johnson, and Rocki was told to unload her belongings. As Rocki had left without saying whether she would be back for Viola, I helped Viola go home on the bus.

Lavana was already in bed when I got home. She said she had had a very bad night and had not slept well all day. I was afraid this was a tactic to make me keep the light and radio off, so I didn’t sympathize with her. I did my exercises. I prepared my lunch for tomorrow. I read newspapers the rest of the evening. Lavana said nothing, but about 10.00 o’clock she started moaning. Estelle came home. She had received a collect call from her daughter in Houston when she was away. It was said to be an emergency. Estelle said her daughter was leaving her husband.

She had not called back at 11.15. I told Estelle about the difficulties people in other apartments were having. She was sympathetic with Jossie, who, she said, is in her 80’s and has had a history of mental difficulty.

Estelle believes her apartment-mates should be more tolerant. I went to bed at 11.30.


19 October – 1977 Wednesday
I did a number of personal tasks: wrote a letter to Dorothy, as I have not been able to get her on the phone. My main purpose was to ask her if I have to return the book, The Rise of the Colored Races. I xeroxed some recipes for her, most on the plight of the stock market.

I also xeroxed some clippings for Betty McCann after a conversation we had about cooking. She likes to cook foreign food. I made some file folders for personal use and put various items in them. I did a little work on my journal but didn’t have much success in catching up.

Norma told me her husband is was beginning to get excited about the baby; at first he did not want it. She had put him through school and supported them both for some time. He seems selfish. Norma is opposed to the regime in the Philippines and concerned about the rights of minorities here.

It was foggy. I ate lunch at my desk.  I had two assignments from Dale Huffman, who is a new attorney, and one from Garb (some xeroxing). I tried again to reach Dorothy but had no luck.

I went home after work and cleaned up.   I went to the Temple to eat.

Laurie has been so busy since Dick left that she has had no time to hunt for my Russian books. I can’t find them in the law office or in Dick’s cubicle. Tonight Dennis Allen told me he crated the books I had in the packing room. I will have to try to find the others and take them with me. I waited in the accounting office. Wanda came with some affidavits to type. Some need to be put in better order before I can type them. I asked June Crym whether I could stay out of service to work on them, but she didn’t want me to.

Counselors have been told that everyone who possibly can should be in service. Laurie told me she wants me to write some articles for the Forum, the Temple newspaper. She brought me an article to adapt. I don’t know when I can work on the affidavits or the Forum.

The main event at the service was a tape, “The California Reich,” about the Nazis in California. We had seen it before. Rocki took me home in her car, but I had to wait for her second trip. I would have got home faster on Muni. Estelle was packing to return to Los Angeles. She was persuaded not to go tonight. I read for an hour. I went to bed about 12.00.


20 October – 1977 Thursday
Estelle got up early this morning to drive to Los Angeles. I had a busy day at the office. I revised a legal document for Huffman four or five times and did some xeroxing for John Foster. I called Dorothy [Edith’s sister] at her job and talked to her for quite a while. She wants me to send the book back. She is thinking of coming to San Francisco for Christmas. She believes it would be a shame not to see me before I go to South America. She was intending to go to Austen, Texas to help Madelyn Murray O’Hare, because the weather would be nice then.

I had forgotten my clipboard and decided to go home for it on my noon hour.

I also got Dorothy’s book so that I can wrap it for mailing. Brenda gave me a carton for it. Levana and Virginia were home. Levana gave me some twine. I brought her a rain hat like mine which she had wanted. I made the trip home and back in about half an hour. This is the first time I have gone home on my lunch hour. I ate lunch at my desk.

In the afternoon I had hoped to get some back entries written up in my Journal, but I was frustrated. In fact, I had to stay fifteen minutes late to finish something for Huffman.

I went to the Temple to eat. Hue Fortson said that Ed Crenshaw is leaving for Guyana tomorrow. When I got home at 6.30 Lavana was in bed in Estelle’s room. She was in a better humor all evening. She offered to do my laundry tomorrow when it seemed I might have trouble with the hot water, as she was afraid to have me go out to the laundromat. I did my exercises and personal chores. I did my laundry. I washed my hair, then did my hand laundry, and finished with all my chores after 11.15. I read and had a snack. Lavana came back to sleep in our room. I went to bed at 12.30.


21 October – 1977 Friday
I didn’t have much work at the office and was able to do some work on my journal entries. At lunch in Bechtel’s assembly room I saw a film of Das Island, Abu Dhabi, on the Arabian peninsula, where a great deal of oil is being produced and shipped out.

I ate at the Temple tonight. I exercised. I listened to the KKHI broadcast of the San Francisco Opera Company production of “Aida” by Giuseppe Verdi. Virginia was asleep and Lavana and I were preparing to go to bed at about midnight when a fire alarm sounded in the building. Wanda was not home. I awoke Virginia, and Lavana and I took our coats and purses and put our shoes on. It was difficult to make Virginia hurry. With the other occupants of the building we went downstairs. Fire trucks arrived in the back. I didn’t see any fire or smell any smoke. Some said material in the garbage cans was burning. We went upstairs in a few minutes.

I was in bed, though not asleep, when Wanda came home. Lavana told her what had happened. Wanda called to me and told the others that tomorrow there was a rally we were expected to attend. Members were to leave from the Temple at 11.30.

I have become increasingly worried about the extra tasks I have recently been assigned: typing the healing affidavits which I am told I can no longer stay out of meetings to do, and writing for the Forum. Wanda’s commanding tone in regard to the rally determined me to write a memo to Council about the unreasonableness of expecting work beyond my full-time job of a woman of my age. I already have physical conditions aggravated by stress.


22 October – 1977 Saturday
I got up at 8.00. I went to the Temple with Virginia. We had breakfast. I then went to the accounting office where I asked Betty if I could write a memo there. She had no objection and gave me some coffee. I wrote two pages as planned last night about extra tasks required of me and made a couple of xeroxes.  If I have any more demands on my time, I can show a copy of the memo, hoping Council will agree with me; and I can ask for it to be put in my medical file. I gave the original to Hue  Fortson for Council.

I told Betty of long distance calls I believed Estelle made to her daughter in Houston.

She wanted the details. We also discussed Estelle’s use of  communal her car and the bake sale supplies still stored at 1029 Geary.

I was an hour later than usual getting to Haight Street. On the bus I met an elderly woman with whom I had a conversation about shopping. She was interested in the Haight Food Store and shops in second-hand stores. She is white and lives in an apartment with blacks, I showed her where the store is and she looked around it. We exchanged names and addresses. I thought she might like to come to the Temple when we have another open meeting. Her name is Esther Jensen Anthony.

On the way home I bought a watermelon at a street stand and some decaffeinated coffee at a Lucky store on Eddy. I got home about 1.15. The day was lovely, sunny and warm. I had some soup and tomato juice. Virginia was still at the Temple. Lavana had gone shopping. Wanda was home sick. She had gone to the rally directly from home, had not seen any of our people who had probably not left the Temple yet. I gave her some nuts and dates, as she said she had a longing for sweets. She is pre-diabetic. She doesn’t eat an adequate diet; she doesn’t get any breakfast and often no lunch.

I lay down and slept a little off and on. Lavana now goes into Estelle’s room when Estelle isn’t here and uses what was Estelle’s bed; however, she kept coming into our room.

I went to dinner at the Temple with Wanda. Then I went to the accounting office where we had arranged a place to keep the healing affidavits. Some of the material in the affidavits, which were not complete, had been filled in last night by the other workers, but only one was in proper order to be typed up. I finished typing this, working on it through the first part of the service.

Shortly after I came in, Sandy Bradshaw (Ingram), who had just returned from Guyana, told us enthusiastically about the mission. She mentioned in particular: the housing, which is painted different colors; Jim’s healing of Bobby Stroud’s hand which had been cut off; the healing of another young man whose head was struck by a crane, causing the spinal fluid to drain off; that seventeen young woman were pregnant, but no more pregnancies were desired now.

A tape made from a broadcast of Jim’s was played. It was about an hour long. He described the mission in detail; spoke of various people of all ages who passed him (some spoke on the radio); exhorted us to greater efforts to raise money; remarked on the deeds of our enemies. The news he told us of individuals included: Daisy Stroud is teaching Chinese, is very cooperative; Patty Cartmell lost thirty pounds; Jim Pugh is planting in the vegetable garden; Edith Bogue lost twenty-six and three-fourths pounds, Mike Prokes is editing a film; Lois Ponts is teaching a class in obstetrical nursing (but we need no more little ones then we are prepared for), Sharon Cobb is supervising care of the babies; Gene Chaikin is working 1n the plant nursery, Joyce Parks is at our Georgetown headquarters, Selika Bourdenave is in charge of the inspection committee, Tish Leroy is working on our records; Amanda Fair is planning the landscaping; Annie Moore is one of our nurses; Jim’s mother, Lynette Jones, is doing well; Steve, who was aimless in the United States, unloads our boat; Marie Lawrence is teaching Science; Helen Love is doing well; Carolyn Looman is one of the high school teachers; little Raymond [Fitch], Who cried all the time, now smiles all the time; Shirley Hicks introduced a new calypso song at the last meeting.

Other matters of which Jim spoke: no one is permitted to make fun of another’s appearance nor handicaps I there are twice-weekly meetings with less church emphasis than formerly, the mission gave assistance to a child who was in a coma in Venezuela and was in need of a specific drug — after several hours of radio communication all over the states, we were able to obtain the drug, winning many friends; more details of the accidents and healings mentioned by Sandy, saying both accidents occurred because of negative influences; all the children who had suffered nervous conditions in the states had overcome them; as Jim had mentioned previously, several people had not lost weight and had suffered strokes, but Jim had healed them; everyone has a check-up every two weeks and a thorough medical examination every two months. Jim requested us not to send cosmetics nor candies to relatives or friends in Guyana; send useful items such as sheets which we all can use. Everyone participates in decisions affecting the community. Mother is coming back after performing a task for the Temple (the tape was made in early October).

In mentioning the conspirators, Jim referred mostly to Grace Stoen and her collaborators. There is never any need for corporal punishment.

I went home on Muni. While I was waiting at the stop with Jossie Chambliss, she talked a little about the trouble she had had which led her to decide to leave; she said Mabel Johnson, with whom she had been living, was to blame, but she said she had been asked not to tell details. She said “Father” called her and told her everything would be all right. He said he knew everything and was grateful to her for “feeding my children” — she prepares vegetables at the Temple.

Carrie Langston came to the apartment to stay all night. I gave her a piece of the watermelon I had bought. I prepared food for tomorrow’s dinner. I made stew from some of my round steak and vegetables.

I listened to the last part of the opera. Lavana stayed in Estelle’s room. She returned to our room after 12.00 when I had gone to bed.


23 October – 1977 Sunday
Lavana was up early to prepare her dinner for the break between services. Carrie had had a shower. I didn’t hear either of them. I had slept very hard. I got up at 8.30. Three of us, Lavana, Carrie and I, were getting our breakfast at the same time in the kitchen. Virginia went to the Temple. I had grapefruit, chicken livers, an egg and toast.

I tried to get to the Temple early to work on the affidavits but didn’t succeed. Wanda had worked late, but no more had been done on the affidavits so I could not do any more typing on them. I gave Betty our apartment telephone number. She will check long distance calls charged to it, in connection with Estelle’s calls to her daughter in Houston. I stayed in the accounting office for the first part of the service. Jim’s tape was played again. It was much clearer than it had been downstairs, and I heard items I had missed before.

The service was out about 2.00. I had a long wait for a Muni bus. Rocki passed me up without offering me a ride. I finally walked home.  I made a salad to go with my stew. Lavana and Carrie were at the apartment for dinner. I lay down for an hour and a half but couldn’t get to sleep,

At the Temple I received a message from Gene Chaikin which had been sent over the radio during the break — referring to his position in the mission as nurseryman, he recalled (I eventually puzzled out) a conversation we had once had when he had told me he wanted to get away from law and raise plants. I suppose I had mentioned that my mother and three sisters all had had gardens and I wanted to have one too.

I saw Rocki and told her she had passed me up. She hadn’t seen me; she said she was not going home anyway, that she took Mabel Johnson to several grocery stores. Mabel wanted to get something special to cook for her son. Rocki seemed annoyed that she was being used as a chauffeur by Mabel. She said Doreen was worse. I suggested that she tell people that in view of Jim’s emphasis on saving money, she could not use the car and waste gas for people’s personal desires. Viola had told me Mabel bribes Rocki by buying her special food items and gives her money for her end Turner to eat at restaurants.

When I went upstairs I told Betty the details on the use of Rocki’s car for non-communal purposes. She thought because of the circumstances (possible damage Mabel might do to the cause if disgruntled), this special privilege might have to be ignored. I said that in the case of Estelle, a long distance call might have been authorized in order to get her daughters to Guyana, though they are not members of the Temple.

I wrote a memo to Council telling how Vivian Gainous, sitting in the choir facing the audience, had chewed bubble gum and yawned throughout Jim’s tape yesterday — I had given a report to Diane Christensen, who directs the choir, but she told me to give it to Vivian directly. Vivian had rudely received my comments, saying she worked three jobs and had to chew gum to keep awake.

Sandy Bradshaw saw me in the hall as I came into the evening service. She said she had a message for me from Jim. He was aware of the situation involving Mabel Johnson and wanted me to know that “justice will be done.” I attended the service. At home I listened to the Sunday evening opera. I went to bed at 12.15.


24 October – 1977 Monday  
Dorothy was out today. Her son has Veteran’s Day off and it is uneconomical for her to drive in alone. I filled in for her. Deb Bowen is back. She showed me recent snapshots of Marquita and herself, including some taken after the accident, showing their injuries. Betty Barclay is still giving an unsatisfactory performance, according to Bob O’Neill.

The information that Denise had given me was confirmed by O’Neill concerning a supervisor’s having been chosen for Dorothy in the computer center. O’Neill said he was being given instruction but got discouraged because of the delay and took another job.

I spent most of the day putting the Legislative Status Report on Mag A for Steve Butler’s office. This document reviews the status of legislation, both federal and state, in which Bechtel is interested. Other details I had to take care of: securing the print-outs and handling them, making typed additions to John Braman’s patent report, and messaging a document to Los Angeles. I also did a short memo for Huffman. I ate lunch at my desk. Tonight I went to the Temple for dinner. We had spaghetti with chicken, salad, pickled peaches. Edith Cordell cut my hair a little shorter. I shaved my neck.

When I got home Virginia was just back from the doctor and was eating. Lavana was up and around but still complaining. Wanda was home, took a bath, then went out. Rocki and Judy took Estelle’s bed out. I was tired and my arm started to hurt again, perhaps because I have no medication left. I worked on my journal notes. I went through old newspapers, read a little. I Went to bed at 11.15.


25 October – 1977 Tuesday
At 6.00 o’clock this morning, when I was still in the bathroom Jossie Chambliss came up, wanted Wanda; she had some complaint. Wanda was annoyed, said “Chris Kice was supposed to find some place for that woman to stay.”

At the office I finished the Legislative Status Report for Butler’s office. It took me all morning. In the afternoon I had to make corrections which took another two hours. Dorothy’s demeanor was equable; she discussed various topics in a friendly manner. However, she is still greatly concerned with homosexuality.

Denise told me Marquita’s job is at a country club, and she will be head of the office, will probably stay there. Dorothy and I speculated that they have a retirement community and sell homes.

At noon I saw again the BBC film, “Tomorrow’s Saudi Arabia,” the best documentary on a developing nation I have ever seen. The room was crowded. Dorothy saw it. I did a little work on my Journal. Before closing time Zaid Jawdat wanted a short memo done.

I ate at the Temple. I conversed with Edie Katulas. She is rooming with Chris Kice. She is working in a nursing home or hospital. She expects to be among the last to leave. She wants to be sure all the animals are taken care of. I also had a conversation with Aurora Rodriguez, who is a Chicano. She was telling me how she obtained custody of her three grandchildren, the difficulties she had controlling them. They all have passports and will accompany her to Guyana.

I went home on Muni with Jossie. I inquired what had been disturbing her this morning. She did not appear particularly upset. She has been rooming with Doreen, and she said it was planned to move Doreen out, and she would be alone. I don’t know whether the problem, whatever it was, had been solved, or whether she was not disturbed any longer. The day had been foggy but not cold. However, Virginia, probably with the consent of Lavana, had turned on the oven which heated up the whole apartment.

I would have had difficulty doing my exercises, so I opened the Window and the outside door.

Wanda for some time has not been eating at the Temple. Judy brings her dinner. Lavana told me she is taking a course.

[End of typed journal. What follows is transcribed from her handwritten notes.]

I worked on my journal entries.
Looked through stacked up newspapers again and discarded a pile.
Put up tomorrow’s lunch.

Lavana has a chair in Estelle’s room now and has been doing some sewing there. She felt better today.

Went to bed at 11:30.


26 October – 1977 Wednesday
This morning I said something casually to Wanda about her college course I thought that she was taking.  She became quite angry.  Even if she is doing something  confidential for the Temple, she could have indicated she wasn’t free to explain where she was.

Spent a busy day doing work for Butler’s office and Bob Garb (who is working on a contract for Peru), but I accomplished considerable on my journal.

Ate lunch outside.

When I got home, everybody was gone except Lavana.  She had spent the day shopping with Viola and Rocki.

I washed and changed clothes. Went to the Temple to eat.
Viola told me that Rocki’s had told her Lavana was leaving tomorrow for Guyana.

With Wanda I went over a questionnaire for the guidance of people giving affidavits on their healing.  She was friendly.

On Wanda’s advice I left my prescription for indocin under the door at the clinic.
I spent an hour or so typing affidavits during the Temple service.
Jim’s tape was played again.

The service was out late – 10:30. I went home with Virginia.

Lavana was late getting home.  She had mislaid her purse.  It had been found when she went back to the Temple, but she was agitated and vomited.  She is probably excited over leaving.

After reading and eating, I went to bed at 12:30.


27 October – 1977 Thursday  
Had an extremely busy day. Continued work on the Peruvian contract with which Terry Brown is now concerned along with Gart.  Had to do a memo for Liz Plepiagan (Steve Butler’s office) and in the afternoon worked steadily on a training report for Dale Huffman analyzing a contract I had no time for.  I have been taking aspirin since I ran out of indocin but it didn’t help this afternoon and evening.

I ate lunch quickly at my desk.  Went to PG&E to see a film, John Barrymore in “Dr. Jeckyl & Mr. Hyde” made in the 20’s.  Its melodrama was very funny.

Went to the Temple to eat.  Had further conversation with Viola, who said Lavana is not leaving today, but possibly tomorrow.  She said Jossie was being moved into 51, our apartment.

Took the Muni home.
Lavena was in bed, still not feeling well.

I put my laundry in the machine, did my personal chores in the kitchen, so that Lavena could be alone in the dark in our room.  Washed my hair, did my hand laundry.  I finished about 11.00.  Had my radio in the kitchen.  Heard the preview to tomorrow’s opera, “Ariadne auf  Naxos” by Richard Strauss. It consisted of Leontyne Price on records singing Strauss songs and arias.  There was a summary of Ariadne.

Afterwards I propped newspapers upon Estelle’s bed and read and had a snack.

Wanda came in.  She told me that Jossie was to be in with us.  She can’t be put in Estelle’s room; neither can Wanda herself.  I inquired, what is so special about Estelle?  Wanda was quite agitated, said she was going to move although she was tired of moving.  I said I didn’t mind rooming with Jossie.  Lavana can go back with Virginia, which Wanda said she shouldn’t mind for three days (when Lavana expected to leave).  Later Wanda talked with Virginia, who said she wouldn’t mind having Jossie in with her.  Lavana can stay where she is until she leaves.

I went to bed at 12.30.


28 October – 1977 Friday
I continued work on Huffman’s training papers which took most of the day.

I ate at the Temple tonight.  Then went to the Northpoint Coop.  It was raining. I didn’t buy much and came  home early.  I heard the San Francisco Opera sing “Ariadne auf Naxos” with Leontyne Price.


29 October – 1977 Saturday
I went to the Temple for breakfast.

Took Muni to Haight Street to shop at the Neighborhood Food Store.  I was half an hour late getting home.  I prepared and ate some lunch.  Took a nap.

Lavana had cleaned out her belongings from our room except her luggage expecting Jossie to be moved in.  She is in Estelle’s room.

Went to the Temple for dinner.

Some had expected we would have our Halloween party tonight but we were informed it’s to be tomorrow night.

I sat opposite Sandy Bradshaw at dinner.  She asked me whether it was true I wanted to work until the end of the year before going over.  I said this plan seemed to me to have advantages but I was willing to conform to whatever arrangement was thought best.  I was pleased at her remark which seemed to indicate that the leadership was aware of my situation.  Sandy told me of some of the educational program being made in the mission school and said my services would be welcome.  She said Jim was working out with third world countries arrangements for our students to pursue higher education.

Andy Silver recruited me to join a small group going to demonstrate at the San Francisco Opera about the visits of Prince Charles.  We were helping out Delancy Street as the Irish were protesting British activities in Ireland.  We left the Temple at 7.00.  Wanda and Leo Wade  were two others.  We stayed an hour. The Prince, who was coming from Sacramento, had not yet arrived though most of the audience had entered.

We didn’t miss much of the service.  We heard Jim’s tape again.

I should have received my prescriptions a couple of days after leaving it but it wasn’t ready and the nurse was very indifferent,  I fund it had not even been taken in to the pharmacy.  I told Vernell Henderson about it.  She got the nurse to supply me enough indocin for two days and to get the prescription filled.

We were dismissed early.

After we got home Jossie suddenly appeared in our apartment though we had not expected her so late in the day and Lavana had moved back in for the night.  Lavana was crying.  Vernell Henderson, Wanda, Judy and Rocki helped move Jossie’s belongings.

I tried to soothe Jossie and make her feel at home by giving her some Sanka.  She settled down and we went to bed about 12.00.


30 October – 1977 Sunday
Got up about 8.30.

Made breakfast and offered some to Jossie.  I had pancakes, an egg and sausage.  I left extra pancake batter to be used by Carrie Langston and Estelle.

Went to the Temple service.  I checked whether there were more affidavits to be typed but there were none.  At the end of the service it was announced that Mother would not be coming this weekend as had been told us for two weeks.  A busload had come from L.A. including Jim McElvane.  Ray didn’t come but sent a note to Viola.

I went home at the break at 2.00.  I had fired chicken, Brussels sprouts and salad.  Lavana and Carrie also ate in the apartment.  Estelle came in late.  She was leaving after the evening service and was going to take some pans and silver and dishes.  She also was going to take with her the bake sale supplies left in the apartment for use by the L.A. women who have nothing to do.

I tried to nap but didn’t sleep soundly.

I went back to the Temple at 6.00.  We had the Halloween party.  The children were mostly in costume. A tunnel of horrors had been constructed and it was being monitored by Patti Chastain and Kathy Tropp.  Apples and bags of candy were distributed to the children,  Those teenager and adults who wanted to, danced.  I went home early with Jossie and Virginia.

Went to sleep at 11.00.


31 October – 1977 Monday
I spent all day on Huffman’s exercise and had a difficult time.  I barely had time for lunch.  I worked on he Mag A in Dor’s office.  Stayed an hour late to finish the memo.

Went to the Temple for dinner.  I picked up my prescription at the telephone desk.  Jossie was already in bed.  I prepared food for lunch for Wednesday as tomorrow I will be attending the luncheon for Cathy.

Read until 9.00.

At 9.30 I went out on Polk Street for an hour to see the Halloween festivities.  It seemed more crowded than last year.  Judy had wanted to go, but she had to help clean out the room where Jossie and Doreen had been. Previously it was occupied by Ruby Johnson, mother of Ruby Carroll who left with Tina Turner [Bogue] for Guyana.

When I returned, I read and listened to the radio until 12.00 without awakening Jossie.



October 1977 Journal References

Temple Members
Dennis Allen
Jack Beam
Debbie Blakey
Sandy Bradshaw (Ingram)
Rocki Breidenbach
Wesley Breidenbach
Melanie Breidenbach
Ruby Carroll
Phyllis Chaikin
Jossie Chamblis
Patti Chastain
Jennie Cheek
Diane Christensen
Edith Cordell
Ed Crenshaw
June Crym
Irene Dakins
Laurie Efrein
Hue  Fortson
Vivian Gainous
Ray Godshalk
Viola Godshalk
Doreen Greaves
John William Head
Vernell Henderson
Archie [Ijames]
Norm [Ijames]
Rosie Ijames
Lavana [James]
Mabel Johnson
Ruby Johnson
Edie Kutulus
Chris Kice
Wanda [King]
Bryan Kravitz
Carrie Langston
Virginia Middleton
Estelle McCall
Betty McCann
Judy Merriam
Jim McElvane
Mother [Marceline Jones]
Jim Randolph
Bob Rankin
Ever [Rejoicing]
Aurora Rodriguez
Ollie Smith
Andy Silver
Don Sly
Etta Thompson
Dick Tropp
Kathy Tropp
Roosevelt Turner
Tina Turner [Bogue]
Inez Wagner
Mark Wagner
Mary Wotherspoon


Temple Members in JT
Christine Bates
Edith  Bogue
Selika Bordenave
Patty Cartmell
Gene Chaikin
Sharon Cobb
Amanda Fair
Raymond [Fitch]
Shirley Hicks
Lynette Jones
Marie Lawrence
Tish Leroy
Carolyn Looman
Helen Love
Annie Moore
Joyce Parks
Lois Ponts
Mike Prokes
Jim Pugh
Bobby Stroud

Temple Activities
Fireside Lodge PT Rest Home-Wotherspsoon’s RV


Stoen Custody Case
Grace Stoen


Non Temple Names
Esther Jensen Anthony
Leonid Brezhnev
Prince Charles
John Henneke
Fran Lyon
Dr. Anton M. Kalafatich
Prexy Nesbitt
Madelyn Murray O’Hare
Ora Pearce
Leontyne Price


Edith’s Sisters/Relatives


Bechtel / People
Betty Barclay
Norma Bondoc
Deb Bowen
John Braman
Terry Brown
Steve Butler
Mike Conheim
John Foster
Robert Galbreath
Bob Garb
Dale Huffman
Zaid Jawdat
Philippe Lamy
Bob O’Neill
Denise Price
Marquita [Scarbery]
Annie Schroeder
Dorothy Stookey
Elizabeth Unkovic
Betty Vasil
Barbara Vasil
Kate Walker

Dominican Republic
South Africa
JR Reynolds Tobacco
Reynolds Industries
Mag Card
Bakke decision
Pendleton 10
Federal Council of Churches

“New West” Magazine
SF Chronicle
SF Examiner
People’s Forum

Word One
Delancy Street
United Way
Good Will
Purple Heart Thrift Store
General Office Equipment Co
Haight Community Food Store
Laney College
Northpoint Coop
Kaiser Hospital
Stacey’s [Books]

The Rise of the Colored Races by Keith Irvine
The Lazlo Letters by Don Novello 1977
KKHI radio

Metropolitan Opera
SF Opera
Opera: “Don Carlos by Verdi
Opera: “Semiramade” by Rossini
Opera: “Ariadne auf Naxos” by Strauss
Opera: “Das Pheingold” by Wagner
Opera: “Aida” By Verdi

Film: “The California Reich”
Film: “Das Island, Abu Dhabi”
Film: BBC “Tomorrow’s Saudi Arabia”
Film: “Dawn of the Second Century”
Film: “Ocean Heritage”
Film: “Dr.Jeckyl & Mr. Hyde” with John Barrymore