Edith Roller Journals: November 1977

Transcribed from her handwritten notes by Don Beck (September 2008)

RYMUR 89-4286-C-3-A-6-(1) through 89-4286-C-3-A-4-(101), handwritten draft

List of people and groups mentioned in this Journal


November 1, 1977 – Tuesday

Made out my needs list.

Did a short memo for Hoffman.

The rest of the day I worked on a revision of the Legislative Status report for Butler in Dor’s Office.

At noon there was a luncheon for Cathy’s birthday. About 20 of us attended at a Chinese restaurant off Mission Street.  I came because Cathy is more sympathetic to me than most of the people at the office and does many favors for me.  The waiters brought around enough on a plate to serve four, served the dishes and calculated the check by counting the dishes.  Each share with tax came to $4.31.  Betty Vasil looked vary glamorous.

Tonight went to the Temple to eat.
Put in my needs list.
At home read newspapers.
Went to bed at 11:00.


November 2, 1977 – Wednesday
I came down with a heavy cold.

Went to work and stayed three hours to finish the Legislative Status Report.  Then I told Betty I was going home.  She seemed reluctant, probably because I have been out quite a bit lately, said Dor had a heavy load.

I phoned Social Security to learn what I should do to apply for retirement benefits.

Phoned the General Office Equipment Co. to find out whether my typewriter was repaired.  I arranged with them to deliver it to the office tomorrow.

Went home at 12:00.  Prepared some lunch.

Phoned Jim Randolph at the Temple to see if I could get my birth certificate from him, which I would need to apply for my Social Security.

Went to bed and read newspapers.  I didn’t go to the Temple service.

When everyone else had gone I went out and bought a bottle of beer. Then went to sleep. I awoke when Jossie came in after service.  She said Marcy was coming on the weekend.  She also said Frankie Grigsby, who cooks in the kitchen, is leaving for Guyana.


November 3, 1977 – Thursday
I felt fairly well. My chest pain is gone though my head is still stuffed up.
I phoned Dor that I would be out again today.
Had hopes of accomplishing a great deal.

Phoned Lor [friend at SF State] to inquire whether I could come to see her on Friday, but she has other plans.  She told me Carol was intending to marry the young Canadian George when she was on her trip.  The wedding will be in Canada.  Therefore Lor won’t be going to Eugene for Christmas.  Also Mari’s mother wants her to be married in America and Lor will have to make arrangements for that.

I did my laundry.  The elevator was not working so I had to climb the stairs several times.
I didn’t get to the Temple in time to eat.  Read the paper while I waited for Randolph.

Leaving for the Temple I saw Gina Severns, went with her to the second hand store across the street from the Temple.  I bought a sweater for a dollar.  Wearing this on a cool days and evenings I may not have to buy a winter coat.

I thought the Social Security office was on the Divisidero, end of Golden Gate Street.  So I took Muni up to Divisidero and had some breakfast in a café.

Then I took the Muni to the Social Security office which I found was near Civic Center annex at 12:00.

I had a 2-1/2 hour wait until I could see a worker and have my application taken.  Finished the newspaper and read old Time magazine.  However, I had all the needed information and was processed quickly.   I gave my date of retirement from Bechtel’s as the end of the year, though I will have to talk to the Temple counselor about it.

I walked home. Stopped in the Salvation Army to look for gloves, but they didn’t have any.   I was too late to go to the Macy’s where I want to buy Berkshire stockings on sale or to get my typewriter.  I had phoned the store not to deliver it today.

At home I put away my laundry. I cleaned the room, putting away Jossie’s belongings which were cluttering up the floor in paper bags.  I had asked her this morning.

Went to the Temple to eat.  Came home with Jossie and finished cleaning.  She put her medicines and so on into a dresser drawer but did not arrange anything.

I did my personal chores.  Washed my hair.  Did my hand laundry.  Finished at 10:00.  Read newspapers, listened to my radio in bed for an hour.

Jossie was disturbed by the radio and fussed about it.  I was insistent on my right to have some recreation after I finished my work.

I had difficulty in getting to sleep.


November 4, 1977 – Friday
Checked on W’s work.  Dor had had to correct a few errors.  Also, for some reason Butler’s office wanted the report in larger type and she had had to run all the pages again on the computer too.

Did a little work on my journal.

Had forgotten that the annual legal and insurance seminar was scheduled for Thursday and Friday.  The luncheon to which the secretaries were invited was today.  In addition, Weinberger had personally told the secretaries they could attend any seminar sessions in which they were interested, if work permitted.

Talked with Carol Emory before we ate.  She was interested in my health and job.  I told her I was still assigned to the Word Processing Center that was not physically in the room with Dor on account of her smoking.  She thought I was justified and told me of a government ruling (OSHA) that no worker could be forced to work in a place where others’ smoking endangered their health.  She said she’d send me details.  I didn’t have time to learn of Carol’s home circumstances (she is working in the Washington office) and didn’t get a chance to talk with her further.

For lunch we had a salad, a steak, squash and pudding and cookies.

Among the people seated at our table were D.J.Wardle, insurance Manager in the Bechtel Toronto office and Terry Brown, a new French-speaking attorney who I had thought was an Algerian.  However, Terry told us he was born in the Mid-West, is a rather fair-skinned black, is usually taken as a native of any city he happens to be in,  He learned his fluent French at one of his African posts.  He is a vegetarian.  Wanda told Dor Stookey that he was born in England.  After the war he said he had presented the disastrous changes that were coming and he came to England to escape.  His word for the dictator was “socialism” and he was sorry to see the United States following the same pat.  He and Dor agreed that people now wanted something for nothing and failed to see that all benefits had to be paid for

The speaker was Parker Hart, a former U.S.Ambassador to several Arabian countries.  He is now employed by Bechtel.  He is knowledgeable about and sympathetic to the Arabs, knows the language.  He presented many details about the various Muslim countries, particular Saudi Arabia.

With several other secretaries including new secretary, Lucile Sutherlin.  I attended the next seminar session at which John Stewart spoke on negotiating contrasts in international business.  He has been involved mostly with the Jubial contract and is leaving shortly for Saudi Arabia again.

Various secretaries had taken turns at a desk downstairs to take messages for participants in the seminar I have volunteered to sit at the desk from 4:00 to closing time.  I had hoped to make some progress with my journal but Lucile whom I relieved stayed and talked.

She is a middle-aged woman with a grown son.  She is concerned to make progress in her career and is taking para-legal courses.  She lamented the condition of Bechtel secretaries who are treated as if they had no brains.  She quoted a remark made by Rita Schuman who when she learned the secretaries would attend the seminar today said, “I hear the slaves will be there today.”  Lucile said she had been reliably informed that her supervisor John Stewart had blocked her from obtaining the job as Weinberger’s secretary.  She said he was influence with Weinberger because of his color and Weinberger may be afraid of threats of a charge of discrimination.

Lucile also told me of telephone calls she had received from “irate women” revealing that Stewart’s marriage ethics were not above board.

Lucile said Mary Avalina was leaving Bechtel to take a job in southern California with her husband-to-be.  Her family objects to her marriage.  They are Catholics and her fiancé is not.  Her father is a doctor and thinks her fiancé who is a computer processor, is below her standard.

I didn’t go to dinner as I had had a large lunch.  I hoped to get an early start tonight so as to get back home in time to hear the beginning of the opera.  However, I had promised to get some items fro Viola and went to check with her.  She told me more details of the relationship between Rocki Breidenbach and Roosevelt Turner and Rocki and Mabel Johnson.  Rocki was going to San Jose this weekend ostensibly to the flea market but actually to be with Turner.  Viola said Rocki gave Mabel Johnson rides in her car whenever she wanted to go.  In turn Mabel gave her rewards of special food, the money ostensibly coming from Mabel’s son or daughter, though Viola thinks Mabel may have another source of income.  She continually wears new clothes.  Mabel seems to think her son and daughter are going to go to Guyana; however, the son has recently married a woman who doesn’t look like “Temple material” and the daughter is married and takes no interest in the Temple.

I shopped quickly at the Coop.

I missed the beginning of the opera, which was a live broadcast from the San Francisco Opera “Turandot.” I missed the story of the first act.  The singers were ___ as ____ and ___ as ____.  [blanks in original notes, to have been filled in later]

I listened to the radio in the kitchen while I pressed my clothes.  During the intermission Carrie Langston arrived from the Valley. The people who bought the nursing home at  which she and the Sneeds [Willie and Clevyee] have been working, took it over this week.  The Temple phoned her Friday that she could leave Monday, so she was down to do some shopping.

There was a good deal of noise and confusion in the apartment.  Jossie was already in bed and I believe was disturbed by it.

I moved the radio back to our room and listened to the last act of “Turandot.”  Jossie did not awake.

After reading and eating a snack, I went to sleep about 12:00.


November 5, 1977 – Saturday
About 5:00 o’clock I awakened when Jossie turned the light on, rummaged in her dresser drawers, opening – closing them, rustling paper.  After awhile she went back to bed and I went to sleep.

When I got up about 8:00, she turned on me in a fury, accusing me first of taking her garlic and then complaining because I had unpacked her belongings.

I told her she had given me permission to do so but she couldn’t be placated.  She “didn’t appreciate it.”  I was just nosy.  She can’t find anything.  She made reference to the confusion in the apartment, noise all night long, everybody was so selfish which led me to believe that she wanted some medicine in the night and couldn’t find it (she hadn’t made any attempt to get things in order.).

I reacted with surprise.  I went to the kitchen and told Wanda and Lav [Lavana James] that she was on the rampage.  Jossie came out and repeated her grievances.  Wanda tried to mediate, checked our room where Jossie claimed I had more than my share of the room.  It is true that I have more of the shelf space but she has the bigger bureau and nothing that there is not room for.  Jossie said she was going to write to Father.

I was discouraged because I had made a considerable effort to treat her kindly.  I went to the Temple for breakfast.  Then I saw Viola and Judy.  Judy had more details of Rocki’s behavior.  Rocki had brought Turner into the room Judy and Rocki share.  He was asleep on the bed at midnight.  Judy sleeps on the floor.  Judy intends to talk to Jack Beam,  I encouraged Viola to write to council about Rocki’s use of the car and gasoline.

Seeing Jean Brown, I talked to her about the steps I should take with regard to resigning from Bechtel. Told her I have just put in for my Social Security retirement benefits but could cancel the application if the Temple wanted me to continue working.  I thought perhaps I should talk to Council.  Jean didn’t seem to know anything about it but did ask what I wanted to do.

I went upstairs and told Betty McCann the details about the use of Rocki’s car.  She said she would let Jack know for further investigation.

I took the bus to Haight Community Store.  We had a little rain last night and it was a trifle windy but the day became warmer and sunnier.  The store did not open today until 10:30.  I walked up Haight Street to find a Chronicle.  I hadn’t taken my cart as I didn’t want to take the time to wheel the cart home.

I took the bus home at 11:00 and put my purchases away.  I had intended to go to Macy’s last night on the way home to buy some Berkshire stockings which were on sale but I forgot.  Today was the last day of the sale, so I went down on the bus.  To my surprise there was no bad crowd and they still had four pair of a pretty color.

I decided to go to the office supply company to get my typewriter, although I knew they might be closed. They were. I was getting hungry and hunted for a café to have some toast and eggs.  I ate at a place on Kearny Street, then took a bus home.

I had a nap for about an hour and a half.  Then dressed and went to the Temple for dinner.
Wanda had told me there were some more affidavits to type and I did three.
Worked on my journal a while.

Marcy returned last Wednesday night.  She came in to the service after Hue  [Fortson], Wesley and C.J. [Jackson] had taken care of preliminaries.  She took an offering.  She said she was happy to see us but she wasn’t happy to be back.  She had no interest in anything in the outside world.

Marcy said she was ready to return four or five times and once got as far as Georgetown when Jim decided that it was not safe.

She brought with her motion picture film which had been made at the mission and it was shown.  The film which had sound, lasted about an hour.  It showed scenes which all age levels:  the toddlers, children in class and at play, young people working in the fields, the carpentry shop, the kitchen, construction work, the piggery, the chicken coops, the cassava mill, the medical facilities with Dr. Larry Schacht and the nurses.  Several young people explained their work and told why they liked Guyana.  Several seniors including [Christine] Bates, described their life ecstatically.  Mike Prokes asked questions of many people.  There were several shots of Jim and the audience applauded vociferously.  John Stoen was shown and described as healthy and happy.

Marcy told of several miracles, performed by Jim.  Most startling was the healing of  X [name to have been added later] Williams, who was hit in the back with a boom and paralyzed from the shoulders down, with spinal fluid issuing from his mouth.  Dr. Schacht removed a steel fragment from the eye of Paul McCann, receiving instructions by radio from an ophthalmologist.

The service lasted until 10:00.

I was very cool to Jossie.  I want her to know I am not going to make any more concessions and I am going to stand up for my rights.  She tried to converse, but I replied very curtly.

I read for a while and ate a snack.  Went to bed about 12:30.


November 6, 1977 – Sunday
Intended to sleep later and got to Temple for breakfast, as I feared with Carrie it would be too confusing in apartment.  However, I was awakened about 8:15.  My cold was better. Jossie was friendly and our relations are good.  I am determined to be firm about having my rights respected and for the time being she seems to accept the situation.

Tried to call Esther Jensen Anthony whom I met going to Haight Community Store, to tell her Temple service was open today, but there was no telephone listed.

At the Temple where I ate about 9:00, we had cream of wheat.

I typed one affidavit.

Worked on my journal in accounting office until service started.

The assistant ministers took care of preliminaries.  Guests admitted at 12:30.  At 1:15 Charles Garry and three other guests arrived.  They were introduced.  One was Mary Warner, who was chairperson of a commission on human rights.  She wrote a book on harassment of minority officials.

Garry spoke on his trip to our mission in Guyana.  Expenses paid for by the Temple.  He was there from Wednesday night through Sunday.  He was extremely enthusiastic.  He was particularly impressed with the medical care facilities and some of the agricultural innovations, the happy faces.  He said there was no racism, no sexism, and no ageism.  The entertainment talent was astonishing, though he had only met Jim several times, did not know him intimately, started to give his reactions to Jim, but went on to other topics.  He said although Guyana government was socialist, not as far advanced as we were.

Viola gave me a note saying Ray had told Archie [Ijames] I had been good to her.  Archie said to Ray that he heard a classroom was being prepared for me.

Service not dismissed until 3:00.

Went home and prepared my dinner: fried chicken, green beans and salad.  Wanted to broil the chicken to save time, but the pilot light had gone out and  neither Lav, who had come home to eat, nor I could figure out how to light the oven.  Lav ate quickly, as she had prepared her food this morning. Carrie didn’t come to the apartment.

I didn’t have time for a nap.

I saw Laurie at the temple and got directions from her concerning letters requested by Dick Tropp from Guyana to Andrew Young supporting him against impeachment attempt and to the Burtons, Cranston and Clausen as they have been approached by anti-Temple interests.

The evening service was at 6:30.   We saw the Guyana film again with some additional ones.  Marcy warned those going to the field not to take candy and gum thinking they could give it to a specific few.  She said people could plant flowers or fruit trees around their cottages, but “don’t think they are yours, they are ours.”  Marcy was very firm with some boys who had been talking while she was talking.  She said adults too had been displaying anarchy, not doing their share of the job and this must end.

I sent a note to Marcy asking for advice on the elections.  She told the congregation to follow the recommendations of the Sun Reporter.

The service was out at 10:00.  C.J. has been taking some of the 1029 Geary seniors home but they have had to wait for him, so I continued to take Muni.

I wrote short letters to Gene Chaikin, [Christine] Bates, Magnolia Harris and Helen Love for Carrie to take.  I read newspapers, ate a snack and listened to the last of “Lucia di Lammermoor” [opera].  Jossie was quite sweet and did not fuss.

Went to bed about 11:30.


November 7, 1977 – Monday
I did some work on my journal during the morning on weekend entries.  Then had a small memo from Dale Huffman which had to be typed and then retyped.  He is over solicitous and annoys me.

Called Lor to tell her I can’t visit her on Friday as planned, as the Temple is going to L.A.

At lunchtime I went up on the bus to the office supplies store and got my typewriter. Ate my lunch at my desk.

The afternoon was very confusing.  I drafted and typed a letter to Andrew Young and had to do some more work for Huffman.  I started to list items to include in the letters to the legislators Dick [Tropp] had requested.

Norma offered me a ride so that I could take my typewriter home.  She goes to class at San Francisco State on Monday nights.

Dinner at the Temple was very good: ribs with gravy, green beans, spaghetti and cantaloupe.

Viola told me she gave a written report to Council on Rocki’s behavior.  They must have talked to Rocki, who was treating Viola very coolly.  Viola told me that Archie was displeased that she had told me about his statement concerning a classroom for me.  It was supposed to be a surprise.

Heard that Carol McCoy (Dennis) is leaving tonight.  Carrie said she got $100 for purchases and is returning $18.

Laurie was not in the Law Offices.  I left the Young letter for her.  Had hoped to get a Sun Reporter from her.  Wasn’t able to find one on the newsstands.  I got a Bay Guardian with election recommendations from the Temple.

On arriving home I got a cleaner from the office and vacuumed all the rooms and the hall.  Our room was very dirty.

Prepared tomorrow’s lunch.

Read, listened to the radio and ate a snack.  I gave Jossie coffee, toast with peanut butter.

Judy Merriam came in.  She was extremely angry because Rocki allowed Turner in their quarters.  She was envious of Rocki and was tempted to accept Turner’s offer of hundred dollar bills to have sex with him.  I scolded her for not writing it up for Council, how Rocki was misusing the communal homes.  I suggested she write to Mother [Marcy].

I went to bed about 11:00.  I was troubled with a good deal of coughing, as I have not recovered fully from my throat congestion.  I must have disturbed Jossie who got up and heated water and put wet packs on my chest, then covered me with blankets.  She called on Jim’s name and put his picture on my chest, but she went through some voodoo ritual, calling on the demon to come out “in the name of Jim Jones.”  It was a weird expression and I believe I would have gone to sleep sooner without her aid but she was moved by loving feelings.  This took place about 1:00 and I didn’t get to sleep for at least another hour.


November 8, 1977 – Tuesday
Voted before going to work.  The polling place was the Jack Tarr Hotel. I voted for Arnold Townsend, black activist, as supervisor in District 4, although inclined toward Ella Hill Hutch and for the airport bonds, for purchase of the International Hotel by the City for the rejuvenation of Fleishacker Pool and for phasing out billboards.

Had a revision of typing jobs to do for Huffman, with the usual over-surveillance.

In spite of this, however, I managed to do some work on my journal and to draft a letter to be sent to Representatives John and Philip Burton, Senator Alan Cranston and (with changes) to Representative Don Clausen on the campaign against the Temple.

At noon I saw the employees’ film “Discover Nova Scotia.”  Ate my lunch on the PG&E steps.  The day was very warm.

Betty Vasil told me that, as Cathy Costello work load is too much for her, Virginia Duncan had suggested I take over the stockroom duties.  Betty did not think this job would be suitable for me as it required lifting heavy boxes nor make use of my talents.  I told her I was uninterested in the job.

Yesterday I noticed a new man in Dor’s office and guessed he might be Marquita’s replacement.  Today I was introduced to him.  His name is Brad _____ [last name to have been added later] and he is to work with Dor.  Brenda told me he is from personnel and he’s had computer experience but he does not appear to have been hired as Dor’s supervisor.

I forgot my receipt for the stockings purchased Sunday, so I had to go home after work before going to the Temple to eat.

At dinner talked to Patti Chastain who is making tapes of music of other cultures to use in Guyana.  She wants to get some revolutionary and protest songs from the library at San Francisco State.  I think Lor might be willing to check some out for us if I go over with Patti to select them.  Patty says Publications in Guyana will be in Georgetown.

Preparing to turn in my needs slip, I found that I had left the envelope at home.  Vernell said I could put it under her door at 1029 Geary.

I showed Laurie the draft of the letter to Cranston et al. She approved it with a few changes, complemented me for my writing ability.

At home, I put my towels in the dryer.  I have not been paying the money to get them completely dry as they usually dry in the closet.  But as the weather gets colder, they have been staying damp.

I did my exercises and took a bath.

Prepared my lunch for tomorrow. Lav had a tantrum because I always move her food supplies from the lower shelf to get at mine which are in the produce compartment below.  I don’t think she has any suggestion except that she prepare to live alone and not accommodate her needs to others.  I made up my mind that at the next opportunity I shall tell her firmly what I think of her continual bad temper.

It was 10:00 o’clock before I came into my room.  Jossie had been in bed when I arrived home.  My radio awoke her and although she has stopped complaining, she talked steadily and I had difficulty reading the paper.

Heard a few election returns before going to sleep around 11:00.


November 9, 1977 – Wednesday
Got some of the election results by radio in the morning and learned the remainder later.  Hutch, a black woman, won a clear victory in District 4.  Harvey Milk, a gay, won in Upper Market and the Haight.  Carol Ruth Silver, a liberal, won in the Mission.  John Molinari won easily in North Beach and Nob Hill.  Quentin Kopp was unopposed in Parkside/Lake Merced. The Board will at least be more representative of the poor and minorities than was previously the case. The airport bonds passed, renovation of the International Hotel lost, the renovation of Fleishacker Pool was approved.   The billboard measure failed.

Before I left for work, another silly argument developed with Lav over the possession of some wash cloths.  She could have made a pleasant request but chose to be nasty.  I stood my ground though somewhat inhibited by the presence of Wanda.  I resolved that tonight if Lav complained that I disturbed her food in the refrigerator, I was going to recite all my grievances against her.

At work I had some items for Huffman, who is scrutinizing my work most of the day, but I did manage s final version of the letter to Burton et al. and type material on the Mag Ed copies for the two Burtons and Cranston.  Also wrote yesterday’s journal entry.

At lunchtime I went to the Safeway to by some food for lunches next week as I will not have the weekend to shop.  I got oranges for fruit, a few raw vegetables and a few cans of beans and chili. At the Embarcadero shopping center I saw a movie-making crew but did not see the actual filming.

I ate my lunch at my desk on my return.

Just by closing time Dale Huffman asked me to make a chart, showing various Bechtel entities and officers.  It had no heading which was purposefully left off, but Dale told me it showed the entitled doing business in South Africa.  I was a little late getting out.

I took part of my groceries home.  Only Lav was there.  I put my provisions away without calling her attention.  I washed and changed clothes.

Did not arrive at the Temple for dinner until after the 6:00 o’clock closing time, but I had planned for a late plate.  Talked again with Patti [Chastain].

Got envelopes from Laurie for my letters.  She gave me a report on the court hearting on the Dennis Banks case.  He was being tried for contempt of court.

I read my newspaper in the accounting office until service time.

In the service Hue  and others told of the Banks hearing.  The Temple had 47 people there.  Only 12 other Banks supporters came.  Hue  put great effort and emotion into an appeal for people to go to Sacramento tonight to back up Banks in court on his extradition hearing.  Temple members had gathered numerous signatures to petitions to Governor Brown and Brown had refused Banks’ extradition.  The hearing is an attempt to overrule Brown.  Several emotional statements helped persuade more people to go and Marcy continued the effort when she appeared.  Security shifts were taken care of, Opportunity School students allowed to go, members urged to take sick leave or a vacation day from their jobs.

Two offerings were taken.
Hue  asked for donations for food for Thanksgiving.

Mother pleaded with young women to hold off  becoming pregnant, as the cost of providing for new mothers and babies will become a serious burden.

The service was out at 10:45.  Rocki picked me up at the bus stop.

I prepared my food for tomorrow.

When Lav and Wanda arrived their conversation revealed that Lav is leaving for Guyana at last, but no information was given to me or Jossie.

My chest cold is not completely over and gets worse when I don’t have much rest.  It was bad this week.

I went to bed at 1:00.


November 10, 1977 – Thursday
Again did a number of small jobs for Huffman, interspersed with journal entries and running off of the Temple letters to John and Philip Burton and Alan Cranston.  Changed the letters somewhat to conform to Representative Don Clausen’s conversation.

Lucile Satherlin continues to tell me of the problems the secretaries have with Huffman.  Fundamentally he is very demanding, though his attitude is not offensive.

Ate early at my desk and went to see a half-hour film at PG&E on Alaska — some facts of early history as a Russian possession, the sale to the U.S., its early use, development, the Gold Rush and later economic activities were detailed.  There were many shots of beautiful scenery.

Mary Avalina’s last day is tomorrow.  John Stewart is leaving soon to work on the Jubail contracts.  Bob Owen, I hear, with his secretary Sharon, will be moving up to our end of the floor to look after work of Stewart and John Miller, who left to work for Gaithersburg.

Dor told me Brad is taking the advanced course in Word One.  Denise told me she is going to Word One class.  With Sharon moving, there will be no one to do the workloads reports for her section.  Dor does not like to have more people trained on the computer.  So the arrangement was made privately with the computer, etc.  She said Virginia Duncan was not aware of the plan.  Even financial reimbursement is to be made clandestinely with payment to the computer center of legal services.

Dale Huffman, obviously concerned about his own secretarial assistance, talked to me later.  He wants a secretary of his own.  He may have been sounding me out.  I told him the way in which I get assignments.  He will be sharing Louise with Terry Brown, which is not satisfactory to him.

Huffman, in his conversation, reveals a strongly conservative bias.

Had to stay late to correct the first page of the letter to the Burtons and Cranston and put on a card the draft to Clausen.  Left the office at 5:15.

Got dinner at the Temple.  C.J. Jackson told me of the day’s hearing in Sacramento. It was on a suit brought by the state of South Dakota against Governor Brown for refusing to extradite Dennis Banks.  The decision of the court has not been announced yet.

Took the Temple letters up to Laurie.  She made a change or two in the Clausen draft.  She showed me the Sun Reporter account of Charles Garry’s talk at the Temple on Sunday.

Jossie was in bed when I arrived home.

Seeing no signs of packing, I asked Lav whether she was leaving for Guyana as I had thought.  She said no. I had probably misconstrued conversation between her and Wanda about tonight’s trip to L.A.

I got my laundry ready but had to wait for a machine.
Did personal chores in the kitchen.
Wanda arrived home.

I put my laundry in the machine.
Washed my hair.
Did my hand laundry.

Read and listened to the radio in the kitchen.  Ate a snack.  At the office different people had given me a bag of lunch,  a sandwich and a sweet roll.  I ate the sandwich and the sweet roll.

Went to bed at 12:15.  Didn’t try to do my packing.


November 11, 1977 – Friday
I got up 15 minutes early, so as to pack my suitcase.  I took it down to Judy to put on the bus.

Put my time card in.

Brenda was needed in Weinberger’s office and I was asked to take over the reception desk in the morning.  While there I made yesterday’s journal entry.

I ate outside.  The weather was windy.

In the afternoon Karen took the reception desk.  I had work for Huffman, [Zaid] Jawadat (as Norma had gone home earlier) and finally Larry who dictated to me a memo which will have to be transcribed Monday.

I got done one page of the letter to Clausen.

Only Virginia was at home.  She had been released from the hospital.

I had some dinner, put up a lunch for tonight and tomorrow and packed what I needed on the bus, getting ready only at 8:30.

I had the first part of “I Puritani” by — [composer to be added later: Bellini] , starring Beverly Sills.

Took the Muni to the Temple.  Marcy was not in the service yet, though she came out later.  The audience was small.

The service was out about 10:30. And we boarded the buses. Four were taken to L.A.

Judy had saved me a seat on which was also Jossie, Lavana and herself.  Wanda changed to another bus.  I ate my lunch.

I fell asleep before we left S.F. but woke up when the buses started up.  It was about 12:30.  I sat beside Betty Fitch who slept all the way.

I got up at the first stop about 3:00 and jogged.


November 12, 1977 – Saturday
The buses arrived at Buttonwillow at 6:30.   It was quite chilly.  I washed, ran, ate the food I brought.  I heard we were staying two hours and was going to run again but we left after one hour and I didn’t get my teeth brushed.

I read the Friday newspaper, then slept.

Carol Stahl who was acting as hostess on our bus was reading a translation of a novel in Spanish written by an Argentine.  She told me she was reading it for Don Beck who was taking classes four nights a week at Sonoma State in order to get a bilingual teaching credential.

We arrived in LA at 10:30.  People on the buses had been asked to list where they were going before service if they weren’t staying at the Temple.

We were served breakfast.

I sat in the shade in front of the Temple for about 2 hours working on my journal entries, trying to avoid conversation with a young man named Victor, who said he had let his Temple membership card lapse but who wanted to attend today.  I told him I didn’t think his chances were very good and he eventually left.  As far as I know, he didn’t come back.

I then tried to take a nap before the service on the bus but was frustrated by some young men carrying on a conversation. Some  …

[page missing  C-3-A-6 (44) was not copied.  Can see (44) reading through from backside of  (43), so it was there]

Dorothy Malone whose baby is about due, the small daughter of B.’s youngest daughter who has been to the Temple and Tina Malone who was released from the reformatory (B. said Jim got him out ahead of schedule)

I told B. my news.  She said the father of the Malone child was eligible for Social Security disability benefits which his child could share and she was trying, upon agreement of the Temple to get the funds for the child.  It were not for that, she was ready to leave.  She said her husband, R.D., now says he wants to go to Guyana, is getting his passport with approval of the Temple, but she was not sure he would follow through.

We had dinner: chili, chicken wings, bread, peas and I ate a banana and an apple and some cake.

Read my newspapers and B.’s Time magazine.  Went to bed about 10:30.

Heard an argument Beulah was having with Tony.  She later told me he was complaining because he didn’t hear from xxxxxx?  Threatened to go to the Temple and find out what “they’re doing to my brother.”  Beulah said he has always hated Jim, bit Jim got him out of jail.

The air was terribly polluted and I had much trouble breathing.  I coughed half the night. Was afraid I was bothering Beulah.

I heard Tony out on the porch talking so loudly that I went out and asked him to be quiet.  Then I heard him talking loudly on the telephone and again asked him to keep his voice down.


November 13, 1977 – Sunday
I had eventually gone to sleep and felt better.  I got up at 8:00, asked Beulah whether I had disturbed her.  She said no; she had too many other worries.  Her concern was to get these children to a place of safety.  With their background (and I added “environment”) there was no hope for them after 12.  Beulah has been having some trouble with her heart and the doctors are monitoring it.

I had for breakfast an egg, bacon and toast.  R.D. took us to the Temple for service; he was an hour late.

Beulah said Tony was in the custody of one of her daughters and would be joining us in a few days.  Dorothy’s coming baby will be an additional problem.  She said she felt so burdened that she felt like forgetting about the Social Security funds for the children and telling the Temple she was ready now.

The main feature of the day’s Temple service was a skit portraying the black struggle for independence.  Prominent parts were taken by Bob Rankin and Pat Patterson, both on Archie’s work team.

The films of Jonestown will be shown again in L.A. on Thursday night.  Marcy conducted a question period.  One woman asked whether bicycles could be used at the mission.  Marcy said they would be more useful in Georgetown.  A woman named Lois inquired whether tours to Jonestown would be arranged as they used to be to Redwood Valley.  Marcy asked her whether she intended not to go to live at Jonestown.  Lois claimed she would not feel right about enjoying comfort when her black sisters and brothers were still suffering, making her appear more compassionate than Jim.  Marcy responded to her very well, said that tours might be conducted eventually but people would probably have to pay their own way.

The service was out at 3:00.  Dinner was not served until 4:00.  So I read The Silent Language on the bus.

For dinner we had chicken, peas, mashed potatoes with gravy, lettuce with mayonnaise and cake mixed with jell-o.

I talked a few minutes with Bob Davis who is on the work crew.  He thought a target date of the end of the year would be planned for most members to leave.

The buses left at 5:30.  I read The Silent Language.  Slept a half hour or so before we got to the rest stop at Buttonwillow.

I ran.

I was a long time going to sleep again.  Judy Merriam behind me has her light on and was reading.

We arrived in SF around 1:30.  Most of the people from 1029 Geary were on our bus which took us home at 2:00.

Lav had collected another plastic bag of items to take with her.
I unpacked.  Put  up my lunch for the morning.
Went to bed at 3:00 and slept soundly.


November 14, 1977 – Monday
I felt fairly well today.

Finished typing Philippe Lamy’s dictation and made revision for Dale Hoffman or a memo he wrote Friday.

Corrected and ran off the Temple letter to Representative Don Clausen.
Started on my journal entries for the weekend.
I found it too cold to eat outside..  Ate at my desk.

Went to the Temple to eat.  Very few people were there. Opportunity School was having an open house and people were going at 7:30, but I didn’t want to go.  C. J. Jackson has been preparing a list of  books by black authors to take to Guyana.  I urged him to include works by black poets and found the names of some to give him.

I  delivered the Clausen letter to the law office. Put in a request for having my prescription filled again and put it under the door of the clinic.

Went home with Jossie.

She went to bed.  I put my foodstuffs in better order on my shelf.  Put away my light clothes in my trunk so as to give Jossie more room in the closet.

Did my exercises.
Mended a few pieces of clothing.
Wanda came home later from the Temple.
She told us there was to be a special meeting tomorrow night at the Temple.

Rocki came by and mentioned an article in the Sunday Chronicle and Examiner featuring accusations against the Temple by Joyce Shaw.  Viola sent word she would save the paper for me.

Wanda had seen Estelle in L.A. In addition to her work settling estates, she has a job taking care of a sick person bringing in money to the Temple.

I finished the day’s newspaper and ate a snack.
Went to bed at 11:30.


November 15, 1977 – Tuesday
About 9:00 called Lor.  Asked her plans for Christmas.  She is not going to Eugene.  She said Dor [Edith’s sister] can stay with her if she comes to SF.  I will come to stay all night Friday.

Called Dor at her office.  She plans to visit me in SF for a week and a half starting 17 December.  I can meet her at the airport.  She asked me whether I could eat out with her.  I told her of my recent actions.

Has most of the day to work on back journal entries.  A number in October had not been fully written out.

Saw the film in the employees’ film series, “Now That the Dinosaurs are Gone,” pushing nuclear energy, a very simplistic treatment.  Ate my lunch.

Zaid Jawdat had a memo which I started toward the end of the day.

Went home directly. Lav was still in apartment.  The others had gone.
I washed, changed clothes.
Went to the Temple and ate dinner.

In the Law Offices read the Sunday Examiner article.  It was about the Houston family, main source said to be Joyce Shaw and Bob Houston’s father.  Write was sentimental about Bob and his children, described “hardships” forced on him by the Temple, leading him to his death.

The meeting was to have started at 7:30, but didn’t get underway until about 8:00.  Wesley Johnson conducted it.  Marcy was not there.  After opening with singing and an offering, we were told we were going to march around the Examiner building tomorrow to protest their coverage of the Temple.  We would start at 7:00.  Marcy and others are going to ask for an interview with the editor.  The Temple will hold a news conference at 12:00.

All except those who are handicapped were expected to go.  Those who work were asked to call in sick or take a day’s leave.  Those who have baby sitting or transportation problems will be given aid.

The security staff, headed by Jim McElvane, conducted demonstrations and practice in resisting provocation.  We are to avoid violence.

We were dismissed about 10:30.

I prepared my lunch for tomorrow. As I have used a good deal of my sick leave recently and have work tomorrow, I cannot participate in the picketing.

I had a snack and read the newspaper.
Went to bed at 12:30.


November 16, 1977 – Wednesday
Wanda and Virginia were up and left for the temple to picket the Examiner before I got up at 6:00.  Lav and Jossie did not go.

I worked most of the day on 3 memos for Zaid Jawdat.  At the end of the day I left with Norma one memo I had started, as I did not know whether I would be in.

Ate my lunch at my desk.  Took Muni to Union Square for a program arranged by the American Cancer Society to publicize a non-smoking day tomorrow.  The day was beautiful.  Ted Shawn was master of ceremonies.  I couldn’t see over the heads of the crowd, but climbed a ladder to a platform where I got a good view.  Petitions for an initiative measure to ban smoking in public places were circulated.  Literature on the hazards of smoking was available.

Made yesterday’s journal entry.

In the middle of the afternoon I asked Lav to find out whether she had seen anything on TV news about the picketing.  She had not.  The Temple when I called then knew nothing either but said the picketing was still going on.

I decided to go tomorrow if the temple was picketing again, by taking a day of annual leave.  That someone connected with Bechtel might see me on TV will be unpleasant but not particularly harmful at this stage, I should think.  I told Dor that I had a personal matter to take care of.

A woman passenger on the #38 bus going home was thrown to the floor when the bus turned a corner at a fast speed.  All passengers got off and had to take other buses.

At home I called the Temple to ask them to save me a plate.  Learned that Temple members had not come off the picket lines yet.

After washing and changing clothes for the Temple service, I went to the Temple. Got there just before the bulk of the members came from the Examiner.

Talked to Ray Godshalk who drove a bus up from LA.  The work crew was brought for the demonstration showing how important it was thought to be.   Ray was very tired, having driven from Buttonwillow and then walked all day.

I saw Laurie.  She had not been in the line, as she had to work.  She showed me a very short article from the Examiner stating the Temple had 70 people in the protest, whereas we had five busloads of people there which equals several hundred people.  Laurie let me have a copy of Charles Garry’s report on Jonestown in the Sun Reporter.

The service began with Wesley Johnson presiding with the usual songs, getting rides home and making a few announcements about members money-making projects.  Leona Collier helped with taking the offering during which Marcy came on the platform.

She greeted the audience as “you beautiful people,” expressed pride and amazement that they had marched from 8:00 am to 6:00 pm.  She said the meeting would be very short.
Marcy read aloud a statement issued to the public and press giving the facts on the Bob Houston story.  Phyllis Houston had spent much time with the writer of the objectionable article; nevertheless, the paper used only a snippet from her and the rest of the information was completely distorted.

Marcy and some others conferred with the Examiner management. She told them we were determined to end the hostile coverage the Temple had received from the newspaper.  One of the editors had said Jim makes himself look guilty by staying in Guyana.  Marcy got in touch with Jim by radio.  He said to tell them why he was staying in Guyana. The reason was the safety and future of a child.  Marcy said the press would not be given information which was not available to the members.  Therefore Jim had instructed her to tell us of the events regarding the birth of John Stoen.  She described the selfish desire that Grace, a potentially hostile person, had for Jim, his consultation with the leadership, their joint decision that Jim should satisfy Grace’s wishes, to which Marcy had consented.  The baby John resulted.  Marcy said she felt sure Jim had told us of this which he had.  She asked whether anyone had any problem with this.  No one publicly admitted having a problem.  Marcy had not stated the names, but most members could not fail to identify the persons involved.

Marcy said the newspaper had until Monday to apologize and change its policy.  If they did not, we would resume picketing.

The service was dismissed at 9:00. I arrived home earlier than anyone else.  The others waited for rides.

Since Lav’s luggage has been in our room, especially as Jossie hasn’t been feeling well after the L.A. trip, our closet is in a mess of Jossie’s belongings, so that I have trouble finding my own clothes. Before Lav got home, I complained to Wanda about it.  She said not to worry.  Lav is leaving tomorrow.

I read and ate a snack.

Went to bed at 10:30.


November 17, 1977 – Thursday
Had a dull day at work. Did a few items for Zaid Jawdat.  Both Weinberger and Virginia Duncan were away and O’Neill was alone in the office.  So I sat in for him when he took a break and went to lunch.  After finishing yesterday’s journal entry,  I read The Writer magazine given to me by one of the secretaries.  I want the list of possible markets in there.

Ate my lunch at my desk.  Then went over to Front and Howard Street to look at some inexpensive clothes at a factory outlet Nicky Maris had told me about.  They had blouses, sweaters, pants ranging in price from $2.00 to $10.00.  I may come again and buy some denim pants.  The clothes are made in Hong Kong.

Tonight went directly to the Temple to eat.  Lav came about 5:30.  She said she had packed all day.  She was nervous, went to the bathroom and vomited.

I received a note from Viola, who wanted me to see her.  She suggested we go out on the front step, so I knew she had something to tell me.  I went to her apartment an proposed she come p to my apartment as I expected only Jossie would be home.  I gave her a cup of coffee.  Before Viola could give me her news, Virginia arrived, then Wanda came in with a woman named Susabelle from L.A. who will stay in Lav’s room until Sunday.  Viola managed anyway to tell me that Rocki is leaving Monday.  Rocki is very angry because she doesn’t want to leave Turner.  Viola thought she might have been responsible because of her note to Council.  Viola was wondering how she and others would get to the doctor now.

I don’t know whether Wanda and the others heard what Viola told me.  Jossie who was in bed, asked me why Viola had come up and I told her.  She was happy as she thinks Rocki won’t give her rides.

Wanda told Viola that Ray and therefore Viola, would not be leaving for two months.

Wanda announced that we were going to get the kitchen cleaned up.  During the day Lav almost monopolized it  and she was very messy, a bad dishwasher.  The refrigerator was three quarters full of her food, must of which was unpalatable looking.  She did not clean it out, though she did give some items to Wanda.

The laundry downstairs is now open only between 4:00 in the afternoon until 9:00.  I had to wait for the use of a dryer.

Did personal chores in the kitchen.

Put up a lunch for tomorrow.

I have missed my exercises several times lately, tonight because of my conversation with Viola and because there were people in the kitchen and Jossie in bed in our room.

Washed my hair.
Did my hand laundry.
Ate a snack and read in the kitchen.  I had brought my radio out so as not to bother Jossie.

I went to bed at 12:30.


November 18, 1977 – Friday
Did some work for Jawdat and sat in Weinberger’s office for two hours.  Virginia is away in Washington.  There is no other secretary to relieve Bob O’Neill

I made a journal entry.

I had a letter from Eddie [Edith’s sister Edna]. She says she wants to come to visit me at Christmas time,  She apparently does not know Dor is coming.  She will spend part of her vacation with Alma Green, reminding me that Carl died last year.

Jossie was taken to the hospital today. Was not back yet.

I changed clothes and packed my suitcase as I was going to Lor’s to stay all night.  I took the Geary bus to the terminal and from there it’s a street car through the tunnel.  By getting on at the starting point I assured myself a seat.  I was, however, late in arriving.

Lor prepared dinner for me.  She told me of the trouble on the S.F. State campus lately.  Several women have been raped or threatened, including the Vice-President in the ladies room of the administration building.  Lor kept saying the city was falling to pieces.

We went to bed rather early.


November 19, 1977 – Saturday
Ryn called Lor from Tunisia this morning at 7:15.  Lor had not heard from her for sometime.  For some reason Rayn’s letters hadn’t gotten through.  The two talked for a long time.  Rayn said Tunisia had decided not to take Peace Corps workers for teaching assignments such as she is doing next year, so she can either be transferred or terminated.

I had some Sanka.  Then Lor gave me orange juice and toast.  We had a long talk.  I told her about living with the seniors.  Lor at length expressed herself more frankly than she usually does on Temple practices.  She disapproves of separating babies from their mothers.  We had a long discussion about family life and child care.

Lor intended to make some more breakfast but I had to get back home.

I asked Lor about the possibility of using her library card to take out some records from the S.F.State library to tape for our mission school, as Patti Chastain wises to do.  Lor is willing to do it but she lost her card when her purse was snatched and has to be renewed.

I left about 10:30, got home about noon.

Jossie had returned from the hospital although they had wanted her to stay.

I took my cart to the Haight Community Food Store and bought vegetables and fruit.  I had a roast beef sandwich and a Pepsi Cola at the delicatessen on Haight Street.  The sun was shining warmly through the window. I stopped at Lucky food store to get decaffeinated coffee and three items for Jossie: a chicken, sweet pickles and some unsalted butter.  I thought she had specified unsalted margarine, which I couldn’t find.

Jossie was in a very bad humor.  She didn’t want the unsalted butter and said I could take it back.

I had a nap.

I didn’t have any dinner.  Arrived late at the Temple service.  Jane Mutschmann came to pick up some of the seniors but missed them, so I went with her.

I learned that Wanda had had difficulties with Jossie last night.

I went up to the Law Offices.  Laurie showed me an article in the SF Examiner which stated that Tim Stoen had come out in favor of Grace Stoen’s custody of John, saying he believed she would be a good mother.  It seems clear that earlier reports that Tim had left the Temple are true.  I also realized that he was the friend that Jim warned me would turn against me.  Laurie also showed me a letter to the Berkeley Barb that Garry Lambrev had written in heavily adjectival prose and containing the worst insinuations yet concerning Jim Jones and the Temple.  Laurie wanted me among others to write to the Barb as they have been printing our letters.

During the service Leona Collier told me Marcy wanted to see me upstairs.  I went up to her quarters.  Marcy asked me whether I had seen the article on Tim.  I told her I had.  She said Jim was concerned about how I was feeling.  I assured her that she and Jim did not need to worry about me. Although I felt badly about Tim, my own loyalty to the cause is unshaken.  I repeated a statement that Tim continually made to me about Jim that he never thought of himself.  She said Jim felt Tim must be under terrible pressure, perhaps blackmail from an enemy.

I took the opportunity to ask Marcy whether she could find out if the Temple wanted me to quit my employment at Bechtel’s at the end of the year.  If so, it would be advantageous for me to give notice at the beginning of December.  She said she would find out.

When Marcy came on the platform she told the congregation about Tim’s conduct, saying as she had to me that Jim felt the greatest sympathy for him.  She also told the congregation the reason that Jim is not coming back to the U.S. It concerned the custody case of a child, not his own welfare.  Without giving names she stated there had been a young woman who was hostile to the Temple and threatened to do it danger.  She, Marcy had perceived that the young woman felt a sexual attraction to Jim and she suggested that he satisfy her desire.  The Council approved and Jim was willing to gain time for the Temple.  The child was the result and he was beautiful.

The service was out at 10:00.

I went home with Vernell.  I ate a snack and listened to the radio.  Jossie was fussing about my having the radio on.

During the night I was awakened when Jossie got up.  She sorted through papers. Then I heard her try to place a call on the telephone which was in the hall.  I don’t know whether she got through or not.  It was four o’clock.  I had difficulty getting back to sleep and was worried that Jossie may be intending to leave the Temple.

November 20, 1977 – Sunday
Jossie got up about 7:30 and may have tried to phone again.
I got up around 8:00 and put a pot roast on to cook.  Bathed.

I told Wanda of Jossie’s behaviors last night and of her early morning telephone calls.  Wanda informed someone, probably Vernell Henderson.  Judy was asked to check with the telephone calls placed last night on our telephone.

Wanda said the hospital had found Jossie in poor physical condition.  She is subject to diabetes and has been eating the wrong foods.  She should not have had the sweet potatoes I got for her.  Wanda said her physical condition is accountable for her temperamental mood.  Wanda wrote a report on Jossie’s behavior when she was with her and on the medical aspects and asked me to write my observations.  I did so, typing my report on the kitchen table although I had intended to write the Barb letter for Laurie and I had a stack of healing affidavits to type.  I also typed Wanda’s report.

Wanda had talked with Vernell Henderson about Jossie’s situation.  She said various plans had been suggested.  Florine Dyson might be moving in Estelle’s room.  Estelle is coming back.

I went to the service late.  Wanda stayed with Jossie as it was thought she should not be left alone.

Mother made the same announcement and explanation concerning Tim Stoen and Grace and Jim’s reason for staying in Guyana as last night.

The service was out at 2:00.

I went home, had the pot roast with potatoes and green beans and salad.
I had a nap in Estelle’s room.

I went to the evening service at 6:00.  Wanda again stayed with Jossie.  She said it was now proposed that Pauline Groot should come and stay with Jossie.

During the service, Marcy, finding that five people who were present had not heard the announcement concerning Jim’s stay in Guyana and the parenthood of John Stoen, she repeated it.  She looked very tired.

Service was out at 8:00.  Marcy asked the heads of departments to stay for a discussion on the program of the week.

When I reached home I cleaned out some shelves in the pantry and moved food which I had been keeping in the closet in our room.  I had kept it in our room because I was afraid some of the residents would take it.  I cleaned up the closet too.  Jossie had complained she did not have a fair share of the room.

I read and ate a snack from 10:30 to 11:30, then went to bed.


November 21, 1977 – Thursday
Heavy rain fell during the night and most of the day.  This is the first good rain, the papers say, that we have had for three years.

Wanda arranged for Jossie to be taken to the doctor for an exam.

At the office I did an hour’s Xeroxing for Weinberger at O’Neill’s request .  Among the papers was one showing that Cathy Costello is to get a $500 bonus for good work (deserved, I believe), another indicating that Weinberger has accepted a position on the board of Quaker Oats and has received xxxx shares of stock valued at xxxx [info was to be filled in later].

I called the Social Security office and was told I would get $244 a month and I believe this sum will be increased after my 1977 earnings are counted in.

I had no time for personal tasks.  I had wanted to get down to the post office to buy stamps so as to send a letter to my sisters.

At lunch I went to a program arranged by the BWAA.  Glenda Hope, the Episcopalian minister who helped BWAA organize and who has been at the Temple twice, has arranged a series of programs on women and health.  I missed the first one or two.  Today’s was on medication. Called “Pills – Yours, Mine and Theirs.”  It was given by Dr. Linda Cleaver, an occupational therapist.  She was quite good.  She is cautious about prescribing and taking drugs.

I spoke to Glenda Hope, saying I had seen her at the Temple.  Though she was polite, I had the impression that she would rather have had any association with us ignored.

I ate my lunch at my desk.
Huffman gave me work just before closing time and I told him I could not finish it.

Went to the Temple for dinner.  We had a good dinner with fried chicken.

Jossie was home from the doctor.  Wanda said they had wanted to keep her there but she had insisted on coming home.  Her sugar level was high and she had brought on trouble by eating the wrong foods including the sweet pickles she had asked me to buy her.  She was given medication to take.

I exercised and put up my lunch.

I sorted newspapers read parts of them, threw many away.  I really made progress in getting them weeded out.

Went to bed at 11:00.


November 22, 1977 – Tuesday
Did some typing for Huffman and a distribution job for Weinberger.

The film at noon was “The Bolero” which showed a performance of Ravel’s composition by Zuben Mehter and the L.A.Philharmonic Orchestra.

Norma, who is Filipina, gave me some pancit she had made, which I ate while looking at the film.

For Garb I made a trip downtown to get some certificates of notarization for two powers of attorney.  I had first to get some money at the cashiers.  I then went to the City Clerk at City Hall and to the Peruvian and Australian Consulates.  At both of the latter I spent some time waiting.  At Woolworth’s, which is near the Peruvian Consulate, I bought some lipstick and some candy. After I got the Australian documentation, I went to the post office and bought stamps for my sisters’ letters.

I didn’t get back to the office until a little after 5:00.  Garb was still there.

I took Muni to the Temple to eat.
I again read back newspapers tonight.


November 23, 1977 – Wednesday
My work day was quite heavy which often happens on the day before a holiday.  My afternoon was especially hectic.

Garb learned he had to go to South Africa in connection with a project there on the first of December.  I typed two short contracts for him.  Jawdat and Huffman also were making demands of me until late.

At the same time I was trying to finish and get off my letters to my sisters.

In mid-afternoon Betty Versil came and told us that Weinberger said we could go home half an hour early.  However I was not able to.  I finished Garb’s work.

Then I finished the two letters to my sisters and ran off four copies as the Xerox facilities were closed.  I kept one copy and addressed and mailed a copy to each sister.  I gave them the names and rates of three places they might stay, the Lombard Hotel next door to me and two motels which are inexpensive and not too far away.

I borrowed five dollars from Dorothy and ate dinner at the Chinese restaurant across from our apartment building on Geary.

I dressed and went to the Temple service which was out early.
Afterwards read before I went to bed.
Gina Severns is going to take the Geary seniors home now that Rocki has gone.
Judy told us that Turner has taken a room in the building.


November 24, 1977 – Wednesday
Today was Thanksgiving.  At Bechtel we have Friday off as well as today.

I got up at 8:00.

Took my laundry to the Laundromat at Hyde and O’Farrell, as the one in our building is closed until 4:oo.  It was a pleasant day.

I defrosted the refrigerator and cleaned it out.  I asked Virginia and Jossie to identify anything they have in it.  I threw away numerous items which had spoiled or dried up and then washed the inside.

The Temple service was at 12:30.  The number of people in attendance was small, many members having gone to celebrate their holiday with relatives.  Judy told me Mabel Johnson was with her sister.  There were several musical selections.  Marcy took the microphone around the room so that each one could tell in one sentence what he or she was most grateful for.

Dinner was planned for 3:00.

Andy Silver asked me to come with a group to visit Dennis Banks and his organization, American Indian Movement at 2:00.  He said Marcy also wanted to see me.  I went upstairs to her quarters, but she had been called to the radio room and after that was on the platform.  I guessed that she had an answer to my inquiry about resigning from Bechtel at the end of December.

With Andy, Betty McCann, Vera and another young woman, and I left to go to West Oakland where Banks group has a bar and meeting room called La Peña.  I thought we might be served food but all that was available were drinks to be purchased from the bar.  We went across the street to a little grocery where we bought snacks.  A donation of $2 was requested but Andy took care of that in some way.

We greeted Banks and his friends and looked around the room which was decorated with Indian and Mexican woven materials.  Few people were in the room but more began to arrive.  They were of all ages, with several small children.  None talked to us.  Two films were shown.  The first called  “The Longest War” featured Dennis Banks and was about the white man’s campaign against the Indians, but mostly showed the struggle in South Dakota of the past few years.  The other film we had seen at the Temple, the one on Battle Mountain and the Shoshones of Nevada.

We went back to the Temple at 5:00, where dinner had been saved for us.  Even the turkey was not particularly good, perhaps because it had been warmed over.

I inquired concerning Marcy but she was out.

I spent a couple of hours in the accounting office going through the healing affidavits, verifying my initial impression, that almost all of them had missing items.

Rocki left for Guyana tonight.  I heard Phyllis Houston, who does some of the processing for those departing, phone her at about 7:00 o’clock, asking her if she didn’t know she was later for her transportation.  I learned later she was still deciding what to take with her, although she had had several days notice.

I was going home about 9:00 when I met Andy Silver.  I told him I had been unable to talk to Marcy.  He called her room.  Sandy Bradshaw, who seems to be staying with her answered and Marcy came on the line.

She said she had an answer for me about resigning from Bechtel.  I was to give notice and make necessary arrangements for leaving at the end of the year.  I suppose I can expect to be sent to Guyana not too long after that.

I got a ride home and told Wanda.

I did personal chores, then washed my hair.  I did not, however, put any color rinse on it, nor put it up in pin curls as I was too tired.


November 25, 1977 – Friday
Got up at 8:00.

Went with Viola to breakfast at the Temple.  We telephoned,  I hadn’t known they now serve only to 9:00 but they gave us some.  We had pancakes and molasses.

Laurie asked me about writing for the next issue of the Forum.  I have had lately an acute sense of oppression from being confined in such close quarters with seniors and from worry about all I want to get done and haven’t had time for writing letters and articles for Laurie as well as my journal entries.  I told Laurie about the Temple’s approval of my resignation from Bechtel, but she had learned it from Marcy.

I took the Fillmore bus to the Mission District and shopped for clothes at two second-hand stores, the SF Thrift Store and the Purple Heart, having received $10 from the Temple on this weeks needs.  I bought several blouses, shirts, pants, and a pant suit.  They cost a little over $12.00.  I paid for the extra out of my own funds.

I got home about 2:00 o’clock and had some lunch.
I shopped an hour and a half.
Went to the temple to eat.

Gina Severns brought home the seniors from 1029 Geary at 6:00.
I took the Muni to the Northpoint Coop and bought a few items.

At home I pressed clothes, including a few of my new purchases, while listening to Verdi’s “Un Ballo in Maschera,” with Katia Ricciarelli, Jose Carreras and Yuri Mazurok singing the main parts, a SF Opera production.

I had a snack and read for an hour.
Went to bed at 12:00.


November 26, 1977 – Saturday
Got up at 8:00.

Went to the Temple for breakfast.  It was an excellent breakfast with scrambled eggs, a big slice of bacon, baking powder biscuits, some preserved fruit and coffee.

Carol Stahl, who has been examining text books we have with a view to sending to Guyana worthwhile ones, asked me to look at and give my opinion of the English and some other social studies books.  I spent some time looking at them.

Took Muni to Haight Community Food Store and shopped for vegetables and fruits.  Pushed my cart home arriving about 12:15.

Ate some lunch.
Had a nap.

Jossie has been in a good humor for the past few days and I have had no trouble with her.  She went out and bought a chicken and some greens and cooked them, instead of going to the Temple.  Judy said the landlady had seen Roosevelt Turner hitting his dog with a belt and she was indignant.  It was a dachshund given to Turner to take care of.  She later told me there wasn’t much the Temple could do about it.  I gather the Temple is afraid that antagonizing a member may drive him to complain to our enemies and cause us trouble.

I had dinner at the Temple.

I went upstairs tried to translate for Sue Ellen Williams a song in Russia by Tchaikovsky.  I couldn’t make much out of it but I made a Xerox of it to take to the office.

I wrote a letter to the Berkeley Barb about a letter published by them written by Garry Lambrev on the Temple’s supposed brutality and so on.  I had not been able to find the time earlier.

The service at which Hue  Fortson and Marcy presided had no unusual features and was out early.  I did not see Mabel Johnson.  Viola told me she had Thanksgiving with her daughter.

With the other 1029 Geary residents I waited for a ride home with Gina Severns, which caused a small delay.

Rosie Ijames has come up from L.A. and stayed with us, sleeping in Estelle’s room.  I had a snack, read, went to bed at 12:00.


November 27, 1977 – Sunday
Jossie was up about 7:30 and awoke me.  I got up at 8:10.   Bathed.

I got breakfast for Rosie Ijames and myself. I made biscuits, a fried egg and beef sausage for myself but Rosie would only have a piece of toast, a poached egg and some sausage, besides grapefruit, as she is on a stress reducing regime.  Rosie is cooking for the workers in L.A.  Inez Wagner helps her.

Venell Henderson took us to the Temple at 10:30.

Laurie liked my letter concerning Garry Lambrev.  I signed it and addressed the envelope.  Laurie and I discussed briefly what I might write on for The Peoples Forum.

The Temple service, conducted by Hue  Fortson and then Marcy, was not very well attended and was short.  We were out at 1:30.

I went home on Muni and had the dinner I prepared last night with Jossie and washed the dishes.

I slept for an hour and a half.  No one else came home.
I spent an hour making journal entries on which I have gotten much behind.

Took the bus to the Temple for the evening service at 6:00.  Judy Merriam and Lillian X, another senior who has been moved in on the second floor, were on the bus.  Judy was still very agitated about Turner, who is apparently still flaunting hundred dollar bills.

In the service people were recruited for two events: a reception for a Soviet trade unionist at the American Russian Institute Tuesday night (I arranged to go) and a court hearing tomorrow morning in which Ron Dellums is interested.  It proved to be very difficult to get enough volunteers for the latter.

Most of the service was spent in looking again at the complete set of films of our agricultural mission.  Although it was intended for those who had not yet seen them.  I believe not many attended tonight except nucleus membership.

We were dismissed about 9:30 and were asked by Marcy to touch the altar.

Although Gina was a little late I decided to wait for her.  Mabel Johnson, who had not been in the morning service and whom I had not seen earlier tonight, was on the sidewalk raving about something.  I almost took Muni home to avoid unpleasantness as there were more people than Gina cold carry in one load, but it was decided she would come back for Julie Runnels.  I didn’t realize it at the time but I found that Virginia and Jossie took Muni home rather than put up with Mabel.  Judy came up to our apartment and from the discussion Mabel insisted on her right to be in the first load all the time.

I prepared a snack and read a while.  Both Jossie and I went to bed before 11:00.


November 28, 1977 – Monday
Jossie got up at least three times during the night and woke me up three times. I had expected her to sleep well as she was at the Temple all day yesterday and I did not go to the trouble of moving my bedding into the other room.

At the office I told Betty Vasil of my intention to resign at the end of December.  I told her I would appreciate it if she didn’t say anything to anyone else that I expected to get a teaching position with an organization rehabilitating young people in South America, but was not sure of the details.  I think she actually admired and envied me.  I told her I would take a few days off when my sisters came.  She will take care of the necessary resignation details.  I told her I intended to speak to Virginia Duncan.

I didn’t have much work.  I did a number of personal tasks.  I phoned Social Security to make sure my last year’s earnings would eventually be included in the amount of my monthly check.  I called Norah Schweitzer to ask her if she would translate the Tchaikovsky song for Sue Ellen Williams, but she won’t be in until Wednesday. Barbara Vas, one of the secretaries who most dislikes smoking had obtained some of the petitions circulated in order to put a smoking regulation initiative on the ballot.  I notified some of the other secretaries who agree with out sentiments on the subject that I had the petitions and I phoned for more copies of the petitions.

For Garb who is leaving for South Africa tonight, I went to the bank to get an advance for him.  Also typed a memo for him.

At lunch I went to the BWAA to hear another in the health series.  The speaker was Cheryl Brown who is director of “Forty Plus,” a woman’s center for middle-aged women.  She discussed menopause.  Her material and her presentation were excellent.  The group was small.  Glenda Hope introduced her. After the meeting when Brown was discussing communal living for seniors, I told her I was a member of Peoples temple and remarked that our seniors lived communally, but we believed in all ages living together.  I felt, as I had with Hope, that her reaction was negative to the Temple.

I told Cathy Costello of my retirement plans and asked her not to tell anyone else.  I like Cathy better than anyone else at Bechtel.  Norma Bendoe also knows that I am leaving, as she heard me calling Social Security.

I worked on my journal for an hour or two.

The last hours of the day I was on the reception desk.

Went to the Temple for dinner.

Gina took the seven of us home.  When we started talking about Mabel Johnson, she cut us short and insisted that we not indulge in gossip but if we had complaints to turn them in to Mother.  She said she had taken the same attitude with other seniors earlier in the day.  Gina is on the Council and is quite principled.

At home I exercised.

Worked for an hour on my journal.

I had a snack and read newspapers.

At 10:00 I moved to the other room.  Read for an hour and swept the floor.  Went to bed at 12:00.


November 29, 1977 – Tuesday
[Insertion point indicated here for material to have been added but was not to be found]

Had no work all day except one short memo for Huffman at the end of the day.

Spent a good deal of the day catching up with journal entries.

My right arm has been gradually getting better and I have decreased the medication I was taking to about one a day, but doing so much writing did cause me some pain.

At lunchtime I saw the Bill Cosby film on “Prejudice.”  I have seen it at least once before.  Then ate my lunch.

Went to the library for an hour or so.  Was looking at the Encyclopedia Britannica to see if I could find any information about American ownership of Philippine plantations, as I thought I might write on poverty in the Philippines, using for basic material a series of articles which ran in the [SF] Chronicle recently.

Huffman tracked me down to the library to give me some work to do, which I just finished by closing time.

Went to the Temple for dinner.

Had a conversation with Gina Severns.  Told her I admired her for taking a stand against the backbiting we indulge in with regard to Mabel Johnson, but did mention that it would be easier to refrain if all who made decisions did not allow her to take advantages all the time.

Gina said Irene Eddins would be going to Guyana shortly.

I put my needs in.

Those who had volunteered to go to the reception of the visiting trade union delegation gathered in the eating room and we left in several cars about 6:30.  The reception was held at one of the union halls near the waterfront.  Elaborate refreshments were set out on tables as well as wine and vodka.  For about an hour people conversed, ate and drank.  We were told we could drink.  There were 18 delegates of the trade unions from the Society Union and I had some conversation with a few of them and practiced my Russian.  A large number of American Union people and others friendly to progressive causes were present.

A program followed.  A Soviet speaker with a translator gave a history of the Soviet to union movement, members of the delegation were introduced.  Then questions from the audience were answered, again with an interpreter.

The meeting ended at 11:00.

I was home by 11:30.  Virginia had gone too.
I prepared vegetables for my lunch tomorrow.
Went to bed about 12:00 in Estelle’s room.


November 30, 1977 – Wednesday
I had very little work to do.

I solicited signatures for the regulation of smoking petition.  Learning people’s reactions, whether they are smokers or non-smokers.  Their motivations are diverse.  For instance, Lynn Schroeder, although a smoker, signed the petition as she would feel better having places reserved for smokers where she wouldn’t be offending others.  Cathy Costello, also a smoker, goes so far as to wish cigarettes to be banned, obviously because she wants to quit smoking and needs help.  On the other hand, Penny Porter cannot sign because she’s not a registered voter, although she hates smoking and tobacco smoke.  Bob O’Neill who smokes heavily said, “I’m not going to sign that.”

Phoned Norah Schweitzer about translating the Tchaikovsky song.  She is very busy but let me bring it down to her just before lunch.  She said she would take it home.  She never learned to write Russian.  When she started school, instruction was in English.

It was a warm day. I ate outside.  Then I went to the post-office and bought stamps.

Phoned Dor at work.  She said she was arriving on 17 December but had to return on the 26th.  Edna was arriving later, was going to spend sometime with Alma.  Dor doesn’t want any lodging with meals; otherwise, any arrangement I’ll make will be acceptable.

Betty Vasil needed some information from me on my resignation and a memo from me stating my plans so I also filled out a statement on which one can state the reason asking for early retirement.  I wrote a page expressing my feeling about the deterioration of American life, without saying that Bechtel was in any way to blame.

Took Muni home.  I cooked the rest of the lamb stew meat and some green beans and cauliflower to put with leftover vegetables and made a salad.  Ate.  Also prepared vegetables for tomorrow’s lunch.

Dressed and took Muni to the Temple.  I was about half an hour late. ‘
‘I was asked to help with the offering.  Lately I haven’t been serving as an offering taker.

Marcy through the course of the meeting made some important announcements.  She said that Betty McCann had instructions to check by radio on any spending requests . Even Jim with his love, intelligence and ESP always consulted others before making decisions.  At another point, Marcy said, as she often has before, that we must be kinder to each other.  She denounces talk of “white and black,” said she wanted it stopped.  If anyone had any real complaint, he or she should talk to her.

Marcy said she had talked with Carlton Goodlett about the conspiracy against us.  We now know that it reaches into high levels of the government.  Goodlett said he was only surprised our enemies waited so long.

Marcy said we should feel honored that we were feared as a threat to the system.  A hundred years from now people would be talking about what happened in Peoples Temple this year.

We saw the films from one of the vacation trips, from another one taken a couple of years ago, the buses stopped at Richmond, Indiana, so members could see where Jim lived in his youth and some of the people who befriended him.  There were shots of Jim addressing a meeting and cutting the cast off a woman’s leg.  I don’t know whether I have seen these films before.  They were very unfamiliar to me.  We saw the movies taken two years ago in Guyana and slides taken recently.

A second offering was taken, as had been done recently.
The meeting was not dismissed until about 11:00.

Gina had to go to work so Barbara Hoyer took some of us home and Chris Kice came back for others.  Mabel Johnson was her usual unpleasant, pushy self, saying she couldn’t stand and  if she didn’t get in the first load, she was going to go home on Muni.  She got in the first load.

Got home. Washed my dinner dishes. Took a shower, as I had missed my bath last night.

Ate an apple and read a few minutes.
Went to bed at 12:30.


Nov 77 Roller Journal
Temple Members
[Christine] Bates
Jack Beam
Don Beck
Sandy Bradshaw
Rocki Breidenbach
Gene Chaikin
Jossie [Chambliss]
Patti Chastain
Bob Davis
Florine Dyson
Laurie [Efrain]
Betty Fitch
Hue  Fortson
Ray Godshalk
Viola [Gotshalk]
Frankie Grigsby
Pauline Groot
Magnolia Harris
Vernell Henderson
Phyllis Houston
Archie [Ijames]
Rosie Ijames
Irene Eddins
Wesley Johnson
Lav [Lavana James]
Mabel Johnson
Wesley Johnson
Mother = Marcy
Marcy [Marceline Jones]
Wanda [King]
Carrie Langston
Lois (Visitor)
Helen Love
Dorothy Malone
R.D. (Malone)
Tina Malone
Judy Merriam
Jane Mutschmann
Estelle McCall
Paul McCann
Betty McCann
Carol McCoy (Dennis)
Jim McElvane
Beulah [Pendleton]
Pat Patterson
Mike Prokes
Jim Randolph
Bob Rankin
Dr. Larry Schacht
Gina Severns
Andy Silver
Sneeds [Willie and Clevyee]
Carol Stahl
John Stoen
Dick [Richard] Tropp
Roosevelt Turner
X Williams
Sue Ann Williams


Bob Houston
Garry Lambrev
Joyce Shaw
Grace Stoen
Tim Stoen


Non-temple names
Esther Jensen Anthony
Dennis Banks
Cheryl Brown
Governor Brown
Rep. John Burton
Rep. Philip Burton
Jose Carreras
Dr. Linda Cleaver
Bill Cosby
Rep. Don Clausen
Sen. Alan Cranston
Charles Garry
Carlton Goodlett
Houston Family
Glenda Hope
Ella Hill Hutch
Quentin Kopp
Harvey Milk
John Molinari
Zuben Mahter
Yuri Mazurok
LA Philharmonic
Katia Ricciarelli
Beverley Sills
Carol Ruth Silver
Arnold Townsend
Mary Warner
Andrew Young

Edith’s Sisters/relatives
Eddie (Edna)
Alma Green
Carl (Green)
Lor [de la Fuente friend at SF State]
Ryn [Lor’s daughter in Peace Corps inTunisia]


Bechtel – Edith’s Workplace
Mary Avalina
Brad X
Terry Brown
Cathy Costello
Virginia Duncan
Carol Emory
Bob Garb
Parker Hart
Dale Hoffman
Zaid Jawadat
Philippe Lamy
Nicky Maris
Penny Porter
Denise Price
Marquita [Scarbery]
Lynn Schroeder
Rita Schuman
Nora Schweitzer
John Stewart
Dor Stookey
Lucile Sutherlin
Betty Vasil
Barbara Vas


The Silent Language by Edward Hall, 1959
Time Magazine
The Writer (magazine)

Opera: ”Turandot”
Opera: “Lucia di Lammemoor”
Opera: “I Puritani”
Opera: “Un Ballo in Maschera,”

SF Chronicle
SF Examiner
Sunday Chronicle & Examiner
Sun Reporter
Berkeley Barb
Bay Guardian

Jack Tarr Hotel
International Hotel
Fleishacker Pool

Film: “Discover Nova Scotia”
Film: “Now That the Dinosaurs are Gone”
Film: “The Bolero”
Film: “The Longest War”
film “Prejudice”

Peruvian Consulate
Australian Consulate
American Indian Movement (AIM)
San Francisco State
Sonoma State
Opportunity School
American Cancer Society
American Russian Institute
Social Security
Salvation Army