[The State Department release withheld all names associated with Peoples Temple from this cable. Most were later released by the FBI – denoted below in red type – although six have still been withheld.]
UNCLASSIFIED FBB 332
[Listing of agencies receiving informational copies on pdf]
0 191945Z DEC 78
FM AMEMBASSY GEORGETOWN
TO SECSTATE WASHDC NIACT IMMEDIATE 8500
UNCLAS GEORGETOWN 4356
E.O. 11652: NA
TAGS: CASC, GY (PEOPLE’S TEMPLE)
SUBJ: W/W: REPATRIATION FUNDS FOR PEOPLE’S TEMPLE SURVIVORS
1. The following 18 individuals are now permitted to leave Guyana:
[handwritten insertion] Jim Bogue
Christopher O’Neal [O’Neill]
2. Paula Adams, Henry Cannon, Herbert Newell, Eugene Smith,
PAGE 02 GEORGE 04356 191957Z
Deborah Touchette and Robin Tschetter have indicated that they do not wish to leave immediately and prefer to make their own travel arrangements. None is on subsistence.
3. Of the remaining 12, the following required repatriation of funds:
[6 names deleted]
All have signed promissory notes for their repatriation and subsistence as required by 7 FAM 375-6.5
4. The Bogue family and Harold Cordell have prepaid tickets.
5. Pan Am has arranged for air marshals to accompany the departing survivors on PAA 228 leaving Georgetown on Friday, December 22, 1978.
Burke [John Burke, American ambassador to Guyana]