[Editor’s note: This document was released both as a State Department cable as part of its 1981 FOIA release, and as Serial 2495 of the FBI’s RYMUR release.]
0 R 2414 (illegible numbers) Z SEP 80
FM AMEMBASSY GEORGETOWN
TO RUERC/SECSTATE WASHDC IMMEDIATE 3627
RUERFB/FBI WASHDC IMMEDIATE
INFO RUESUZ/ AMEMBASSY BRASILIA 699
RUESCR/ AMEMBASSY BRIDGETOWN 3041
RUESCR/ AMEMBASSY PARAMARIBO 2380
RUESSP/ AMEMBASSY PORT OF SPAIN 3640
RUESRS/ AMEMBASSY CARACAS 2647
LIMITED OFFICIAL USE GEORGETOWN 4593
FBI WASHINGTON FOR SAN JUAN
E.O. 12065: NA
TAGS: CARR, CPAS, GY (LAYTON, LAWRENCE [Laurence])
SUBJ: DEPORTATION OF LAWRENCE LAYTON
REF: A) STATE 240593
1. Mr. Emanuel Ramoa, Guyana’s Director of Public Prosecutions, informed the consul September 22 that his office would be taking no further action against Layton and that he would be entering a “nolle [nole] prosequi” on or about October 6.
2. He further advised that Layton’s attorney had called DPP wanting to know the status of his client’s case. The attorney was given the above information and told that arrangements should be made for subject’s departure. Mr. Ramao suggested that best date for flight would be Saturday, October 11.
3. Layton’s attorney informed DPP that either parents would send funds for subject’s ticket or they would come to Georgetown and go back with their son.
4. A consular officer will be making a monthly prison visit on Thursday, September 24. At that time Layton will be requested to complete a passport application form. Upon completion of the form and submission of photographs, embassy will issue a card of identity, which will be held at the embassy until Layton’s release and departure from Guyana.
5. Embassy needs to know asap answers to the following questions:
(a) Since the department is authorizing issuance of a card of identity and not a passport, does the embassy collect $3.00 (three dollars) for a card of identity, or would it be a no fee transaction?
(b) Should Layton’s attorney press for issuance of a passport instead of a card of identity, what reply should be given to the attorney?
(c) Will Justice be sending an escort officer to accompany subject back to us?
Roberts [George B. Roberts, Jr., American Ambassador to Guyana]