[Editor’s note: This is a cable from the files of the State Department that was included in the FBI’s 2009 RYMUR release of documents under the Freedom of Information Act. It was not included in the State Department’s own release, but we have included identifying information for it using the agency’s designations.
[The FBI release included several deletions in this cable. They are denoted below in green type.]
0 R 071730Z OCT 80
FM AMEMBASSY GEORGETOWN
TO RUEHC/SECSTATE WASHDC IMMEDIATE 3744
RUEHFB/FBI WASHDC IMMEDIATE
RUEBWJA/DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE WASHDC IMMEDIATE
REUESP/ AMEMBASSY PORT OF SPAIN IMMEDIATE 3657
UNCLAS GEORGETOWN 4830
FBI WASHDC PLEASE PASS FBI SAN JUAN AND FBI SAN FRANCISCO
E.O. 12065: NA
TAGS: CARR, GY (LAYTON, LAWRENCE [Laurence])
SUBJ: EXPULSION OF US CITIZEN LAWRENCE LAYTON
REF: STATE 261698
1. On October 7 FBI agents [4 lines deleted] state he would in accordance with the request by [2 names deleted] submit a “nole prosequi” notice to the court on the morning of Friday, October 10, rather than on October 9 as originally planned. He said this would be done with the understanding by Layton and his attorneys that Layton would agree to depart Guyana for New York on the afternoon’s Pan Am flight or be immediately rearrested.
2. According to the CIO, his office will escort Layton from court to the airport in a Guyanese police vehicle and ensure that Layton boards the aircraft. The DPP emphasized his concern that did not appear that the FBI was arresting Layton in Guyana, and that Layton’s American attorney, currently in Guyana, be fully aware of the plan to expel Layton. The DPP will request that the American attorney accompany Layton to the airport.
3. For Secstate (PPT/C): As per para 4 reftel Embassy requested permission to issue card of identity to be kept in FBI custody.
4. FBI Agents in Guyana make the following request: That FBIHQ coordinate with BWMRA [BQMRA] on arrival at JFK Immigrations-Customs and the FBI, San Francisco, Agents meet flight at SFIA in order that Layton be printed and photographer [photographed] preferably the same evening. [2 names deleted] and Layton have reservations on Pan Am flight 228 tp NY arriving 7:30 PM with connecting UA flight 21 to depart JFK 9:30 PM 10/10/80 with arrival SFIA 12:20 AM 10/11/80. Subject’s attorney, T. Tamburello, has same itinerary.
5. Please advise if US Marshals (USM) will travel to Guyana. If USM do travel it is requested that they coordinate return to San Francisco on above PA and US [UA] flights.
6. FBIHQ or USM should ensure that Pan Am and United Airlines are appropriately advised.
Roberts [George B. Roberts, Jr., American ambassador to Guyana]