[Editor’s note: The FBI withheld several names from this cable under the B6 Exemption to the Freedom of Information Act. The deleted information is indicated below in green type.
[The text of this cable was included as an attachment in Serial 2339.]
0 231910Z OCT 79
FM AMEMBASSY GEORGETOWN
TO SECSTATE WASHDC IMMEDIATE 866
UNCLAS GEORGETOWN 4807
E.O. 12065: NA
TAGS: CARR, GY (LAYTON, LARRY)
SUBJ: PROSECUTION OF LARRY LAYTON
REF: (A) STATE 275625, (B) STATE 275054
1. Preliminary inquiry (PI) will be heard by Magistrate Sahodra Doobay-Dial. Prosecution will be led by Vishnu Persaud.
2. PI now scheduled to begin October 30, 1979. GOG ready to begin even if [name deleted] arrival delayed.
3. GOG estimates 5 day-long stay all that will be required for US witnesses.
4. There is no problem with [name deleted] attending the PI. He will need only a valid US passport to enter Guyana.
5. Embassy continues to seek responses from GOG to remaining questions posed reftel. When may we expect US liaison officer?
Dwyer [Richard Dwyer, Deputy Chief of Mission, American Embassy, Georgetown]