Serial 1639

[Page 1]

[Photocopy of Routing slip]

[Page 2]

United States Department of Justice
Federal Bureau of Investigation
Date: 12/18/78
To: Mr. Moore
From: J. O. Ingram

Subject: RYMUR

Attached is a copy of a Los Angeles Times article dated 12/14/78 in which it was reported that attorneys for subpoenaed PT members alleged their clients were willing or eager to cooperate with captioned investigation, however, the FBI had acted improperly in the interrogation of the survivors when they returned to the United States from Guyana. Specifically, Tim Jones was allegedly interrogated for more than 10 hours by teams of FBI Agents working in shifts who were attempting to break down his story.

The fact situation is that on 12/6/78, 17 PT survivors including Tim Jones arrived at JFK International Airport at approximately 7:20 PM. They were initially cleared by Immigration and Naturalization Service and then by United States Customs. This process took approximately one and a half hours. All individuals were then examined by a Bureau secured and Bureau paid physician who examined each individual for approximately 20 minutes. Each individual was then interviewed by an investigative team which included a representative from the FBI and representative from the United States Secret Service. No team interviewed more than one individual. The interviews were conducted in private in recreational vehicles and during the interview the interviewees were furnished with McDonalds hamburgers, French fries, and cokes which were paid for by the FBI.

Following interview the group of 17 was taken by either the FBI personally or by a bus secured by the Department of Health, Education, and Welfare to a motel where they were providing free lodging for the night, food, and transportation to their desired points of destination the following day.

[Page 2]

Ingram to Mr. Moore Memorandum

Present during the entire procedure was the Chief of the Criminal Division of the United States Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of New York (Richard Brewster).

With regard to the interview of Timothy Glenn Jones, he was interviewed by SA [name deleted] and SA [name deleted] of the FBI along with United States Secret Service Agent [name deleted]. Jones immediately requested the services of an attorney and the interview was interrupted. Jones then stated that his sister would acquire an attorney for him and Jones’ sister was brought to the recreational vehicle where he met with her in private for one hour. Thereafter Jones stated that he would continue with the interview without the services of an attorney, however, wanted to meet with both his brother and sister in private. This request was granted and this meeting in private lasted for two hours. All interviews were concluded by approximately 2:30 AM. During this time the individuals were interviewed, cleared through Customs, checked by a physician, fed, and given opportunities to meet with relatives in private, and take care of immediate personal necessities.

ASAC Terry Knowles, BQMRA advised that he supervised the interview process at JFK International Airport and that at no time were any “lies” told to any returning survivors, nor was anyone told that Charles Garry had been arrested.

[Page 3]

[Los Angeles Times article, December 14, 1978, headlined “16 Cult Survivors Refuse to Testify”]