[Editor’s note: Text from https://wikileaks.org/plusd/cables/1978STATE299118_d.html.]
INFO OCT-01 SCS-06 CA-01 ISO-00 FBIE-00 JUSE-00 L-03 H-01 CIAE-00 INR-10 NSAE-00 SS-15 NSCE-00 SSO-00 INRE-00 /052 R
DRAFTED BY ARA:JBUSHNELL:MJB
APPROVED BY ARA:JBUSHNELL
——————085320 260223Z /73
O 260203Z NOV 78
FM SECSTATE WASHDC
TO JCS WASHDC IMMEDIATE 1723
INFO AMEMBASSY GEORGETOWN IMMEDIATE
USCINCRED MACDILL AFB FLA
USCINCSO QUARRY HEIGHTS CZ
CINCMAC SCOTT AFB ILL
CSA WASHINGTON DC
C O N F I D E N T I A L STATE 299118
E.O. 11652: GDS
TAGS: CASC, OREP (RYAN, LEO), GY
SUBJECT: US MILITARY SUPPORT TO GUYANA INCIDENT
REF: JCS 252334Z NOV 78 (NOTAL)
1. State Department concurs with initiation redeployment from Guyana. However, following requirements and potential requirements should be kept in mind in planning first stages redeployment.
2. We believe it is imperative that final search Jonestown settlement and surrounding cleared areas be made by American military personnel accompanied by embassy personnel to assure that all bodies have been recovered. This search should be made in daylight.
3. Embassy has responsibilities for inventory of property in Jonestown and assistance in securing movable assets. DOD transport and other assistance will be required.
4. GOG [Government of Guyana] has requested transport assistance in its role of supplying physical security to Jonestown and i4 [is] continuing investigation during next few weeks. This request now being addressed by various USG [U.S. Government] agencies and we anticipate decision within 40 hours. U.S. investigative personnel may also require air transport.
5. Requirement may exist for evacuation survivors, including those now hospitalized.
6. There may be other requirements which embassy may identify.
7. Nevertheless, it would appear that some DOD assets now in Guyana are no longer needed and such assets may be redeployed pending complete analysis additional requirements. In particular redeployment graves registration unit, some personnel and some helicopters should proceed in coordination with Amb. [John] Burke.
Christopher [Acting Secretary of State Warren Christopher]