0 272235Z NOV 78
FM AMEMBASSY GEORGETOWN
TO RUEHFB/SECSTATE WASHDC NIACT IMMEDIATE
UNCLAS GEORGETOWN 3970
E.O. 11652: N/A
Reference Bureau telcall November 27?/1978
1. Guyanese police in Georgetown have possession of physical evidence in this matter and are preserving it. Request is pending for report setting forth details of crime and amount of physical evidence in possession of police.
2. Congressman Ryan’s briefcase was given by DCM Dwyer [Deputy Chief of Mission Richard Dwyer] to James Schaldaert [Schollaert] of the House Internal [International] Relations Committee.
3. Weapon used by Layton was given by DCM Dwyer to police at Port Kaituma and believed to be among 32 weapons held by police at Georgetown.
4. 32 weapons brought from Jonestown to Georgetown and in possession of police. Details of these weapons previously furnished FBI HQ.
5. Records and other physical evidence brought from Jonestown and in custody of U.S. Embassy and Georgetown.
Burke [John Burke, U.S. Ambassador to Guyana]