DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE
FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION
COMMUNICATION MESSAGE FORM
FM DIRECTOR FBI
TO U.S. EMBASSY, GEORGETOWN, GUYANA IMMEDIATE
ATTN: LEGAL ATTACHÉ ROBERT OGLESBY, FBI
In an effort to assess current situation regarding FBI investigative responsibilities Legat, by return teletype, is requested to reply to following questions:
1. What specific instructions have you received from the American ambassador regarding the nature of your activities?
2. Have you made any attempt to interview any surviving members of the Peoples Temple in Guyana and if such an attempt has been made, what have been the results of these attempts? Will the Government of Guyana (GOG) allow these individuals to be interviewed in Guyana by the FBI?
PAGE TWO DE RUEHFB 0105 CONFIDENTIAL
3. What specific attempts have been made to preserve physical evidence both at Jonestown and at the airport crime scene? It is noted that news media personnel have recovered and published documents from Jonestown.
4. Has the GOG been requested to furnish an inventory of physical evidence in their possession? And if so, what is the status of this request?
5. What items of physical evidence are being held in the control of the U.S. Embassy and what specific arrangements have been made to have these items returned to the United States for release to the FBI?
6. Was a crime scene investigation conducted at the airport and at Jonestown by GOG authorities and if so, what were the results of these investigations?
7. What specific arrangements have been made for the results of the pathological examination of Congressman Ryan’s body to be made available to the FBI?
8. Is the US ambassador aware that the FBI considers all surviving members of the Peoples Temple to be potential witnesses to a crime prosecutable by the
PAGE THREE DE RUEHFB 0105 CONFIDENTIAL
United States government? In this regard the FBI requests that every effort to be made to insure that all such individuals released by the GOG return to the United States and that they be processed through a single port of entry in the United States. If this cannot be accomplished the itinerary of each individual should be furnished to the FBI in advance of departure.
Classified by 4478, XGDS, indefinite.