[The text for this document was released in 2014 by the now-defunct Wikileaks website at https://wikileaks.org/plusd/cables/1978STATE303996_d.html.]
O 010236Z DEC 78
FM SECSTATE WASHDC
TO AMEMBASSY GEORGETOWN IMMEDIATE
AMEMBASSY PANAMA IMMEDIATE
AMEMBASSY CARACAS IMMEDIATE
AMEMBASSY PORT OF SPAIN IMMEDIATE
AMEMBASSY LONDON IMMEDIATE
AMEMBASSY PARAMARIBO IMMEDIATE
FBI WASHDC IMMEDIATE 0048
CINCSOUTHCOM QUARRY HTS CZ IMMEDIATE
CINCMAC SCOTT AFB ILL IMMEDIATE
US REDCOM/RCJ2 MACDILL AFB FLA IMMEDIATE
USCINCRED FT MCPHERSON GA IMMEDIATE
CRD 82ND AIRBORNE CORPS FT BRAGG NC IMMEDIATE
USCINCEUR VAIHINGEN GE IMMEDIATE ATTN J-2
C O N F I D E N T I A L STATE 303996
LONDON FOR MICHAEL FINLEY
E.O. 11652: GDS
TAGS: CASC, OREP (RYAN, LEO), GY
SUBJECT: SITUATION REPORT NO. 26, 11/30/78, 2100 (EST)
REF: STATE 302486
1. Four technical experts from the Department of Justice are scheduled to arrive in Georgetown this evening to work with the Guyanese government in their ongoing investigation of the Jonestown affair. The GOG [Government of Guyana] is very sensitive about their presence and the term “FBI” is not being used. The men, who will work with their Guyanese counterparts, are experts in ballistics, sound recordings, and photography.
2. The Guyanese government has appointed a conservator for the Peoples Temple assets in Guyana. The embassy is making progress in retaining Guyanese legal counsel.
3. Embassy Georgetown reports that five Peoples Temple members (four of whom are Americans, including two survivors) may have been granted Guyanese citizenship earlier this year in order to meet requirements for forming a local corporation to cover Peoples Temple activities in Guyana. This development is being studied in terms of its possible effect on us actions with regard to Peoples Temple assets. Corporate status may preclude the embassy from claiming custody of organizational property.
4. We have received from Georgetown the death certificate and autopsy report for Congressman Ryan. Copies have been delivered to the FBI and SCS. Congressional requests for these documents are being referred to the justice department.
5. In response to a call from the governor of Delaware [Pierre S. du Pont IV], John Bushnell has agreed that there will be no mass burial in Delaware of unidentified bodies, and that, at such time as we are reviewing options, we will seek the views of the State Government regarding any unidentified or unclaimed bodies.
Vance [Cyrus Vance, Secretary of State]