DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE
FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION
COMMUNICATION MESSAGE FORM
FM DIRECTOR FBI
TO ALL SPECIAL AGENTS IN CHARGE
To facilitate interviews to be conducted regarding captioned matter, the following is a list of suggested questions which should be utilized while conducting interviews.
1. Do you have any specific knowledge of acquisition, licensing, or shipment of any weapons by People’s Temple (PT) members to Guyana or anywhere else?
2. Do you have any specific knowledge of firearm training received by PT members including specific dates, places and trainers?
3. Are you aware of any threats to harm public officials or current and former members of the PT as a result of leaving the church or attempts to expose the church and
PAGE TWO DE HQ 0002 UNCLAS
subsequently Jim Jones? Or attempting to infiltrate or cause any current member to leave the church?
4. Are you aware of any caching of weapons or money by Jones either in Guyana or at previous Temple locations?
5. Are you aware of any contingency plans that existed or any discussions of a plan reportedly espoused by Jones as a means of retaliation against any persons attempting to arrest or capture Jim Jones or who would interfere with church policies?
6. Are you aware of any officials federal, international or other who was set up as a target for murder? This would include discussions of such a plan as well.
7. Are you aware of individuals who were inner core of the Planning Commission? Will you provide the names of confidants, trusted associates or people who either acted without question for Jones or who are or could be considered extremely dangerous if they are alive and back in the United States?
8. Are you aware of the identity of individuals comprising the PT security force? Was this force identical
PAGE THREE DE HQ 0002 UNCLAS
with the term “the Angels?” If so, who were “the Angels?”
9. Can you identify the members of the Jonestown basketball team and were they part of the security force?
10. Do you have any information concerning bribery or influence peddling by members of the PT?
11. Are you aware of any discussions regarding the assassination of Congressman Ryan and his party? Did Jones order the party ambushed? Were there any practice drills for ambush of anyone who disturbed the Jonestown compound? Do you know participated in the assassination?
12. Were there practice suicide drills where people pretended to drink the poison? Were narcotics used to facilitate this? Did the mass suicide take place voluntarily or were individuals forced to take the poison and shot? Did you witness the people doing the shooting?
13. Do you know of the existence of an assassination squad and the identity of any members?
14. Do you know if the remaining individuals who are at liberty will carry out their assassination plans of survivors or defectors?
PAGE FOUR DE HQ 0002 UNCLAS
15. Relate in detail your affiliation with the PT for the first to present date and the story of your escape and what you saw in Jonestown?
16. Special Agent: Obtain complete description material including where these individuals can be located in the future in the event they must be protected or reinterviewed.
17. Do you have any information regarding the involvement of members of the PT in any criminal offenses; ie. assault, homicide, fraud, etc.?
18. Do you know and can you identify anyone operating the radio or anyone having access to the radio or the code used on the radio or it’s [its] transmissions? Especially in the last two weeks prior to the Ryan assassinations?
Numerous inquiries have been received regarding the disposition of the remains of the victims of the Jonestown suicide which are currently at Dover Air Force Base, Dover, Delaware. All such inquiries should be referred to the Department of State, telephone number (202) 632-9380, or (202) 632-6610.
If the inquirees desire to write, the following address
PAGE FIVE DE HQ 0002 UNCLAS
should be provided: Special Conselor Services, Bureau of Counselors, Department of State, Washington, D. C. 20520.
Sutel results of interviews and set out leads via teletype.
Note: The above suggested questions and information is being set forth for the information of all offices to facilitate anticipated interviews due to the complexity of the captioned matter.