Serial 1217 – 5

[Editor’s note: The interviewee in this serial whose name is deleted is Bob Flick, the producer for the NBC news team who accompanied Leo Ryan to Guyana. The deleted information from the memorandum – designated by brackets – which is known to the editor has been indicated by red type.]


Federal Bureau of Investigation

Date of transcription 11/21/78

[Name deleted] [Robert Flick], Room 2075-2076, Caribe Hilton Hotel, San Juan, Puerto Rico, was advised of the identities of the interviewing Agents by a display of credentials. He was advised he was being interviewed concerning a possible Federal violation in connection with the death [of] United States Congressman Leo J. Ryan. Thereafter he provided the following information:

[Bob Flick] is employed by [NBC News]. He has been employed for [3 lines heavily redacted].

He was contacted by [name deleted] California. He was asked to do a story on “Peoples Temple”. After discussing this with [name deleted], he decided he would accept this assignment.

The news article was to be conducted with the assistance of [information deleted] had conducted investigative stories of similar nature in the past and had talked with Congressman Leo Ryan concerning the Peoples Temple. The Network News had numerous communications from concerned relatives of members of the Peoples Temple. A minimal amount of preparation was made for [Bob Flick]. He was [next two lines deleted].

Also hired as a consultant for the story was Gordon Lindsey [Lindsay]. Gordon Lindsey is a freelance news man who operates in Los Angeles, California. He has business telephone [number deleted] and residence phone [number deleted].

Preparatory photographic shootings were made at the Peoples Temple at San Francisco and a limited number of interviews were made at the Temple to prepare the background for this story.

The filming crew was boarded on the United Airlines

SJ 89-123

flight from San Francisco, California on November 13, 1978, to New York, New York. Also on this flight was Congressman Leo Ryan and two aides. These aides were Jacky Spiers [Jackie Speier], who handled logistic matters for the Congressman. Another aide, Jim (last name unknown) [Schollaert].

Also on the same flight and a member of the news media contingent for the story was Tim Reitterman [Reiterman]. Mr. Reitterman is a writer for the San Francisco Examiner. Mr. Reitterman had written stories concerning the Peoples Temple previous to this story. Greg Robinson was taken as a photographer for Tim Reitterman.

Other news media members were Ron Javers, who is a writer for the San Francisco Chronicle. Ron Javers was chosen to represent the San Francisco Chronicle because the Chronicle had written several detrimental stories concerning the Peoples Temple and the Chronicle believed it would be best to send a different writer.

Also on this flight were approximately 22 family members of people who were at the Peoples Temple community settlement, Jonestown, Guyana. These family members were representatives of the group called “Concerned Relatives of Peoples Temple” (CRPT).

After arriving in New York on November 13, 1978, [Bob Flick] went to his corporate offices. He had meetings with [names deleted]. During these meetings he finalized his decision to conduct the story and made final preparations for the story and departure to Georgetown, Guyana.

November 14, 1978, [Bob Flick] departed from New York, New York on Pan-American flight at 3 PM bound for Georgetown, Guyana. The flight proceeded to Trinidad where it refueled. While in Trinidad a foreign correspondent assigned to Latin America for the Washington Post joined the media. Also on this flight were the above-mentioned individuals who departed San Francisco, California en route to Georgetown.

SJ 89-123

The flight arrived at approximately midnight on November 14, 1978, at Georgetown. [Bob Flick] was the first member of the media to pass through customs. All of the appropriate visas for journalists had been obtained by [Bob Flick] for he and his crew. There was very little trouble for he and his crew to enter Guyana. The entry for other members of the media and Concerned Relatives of Peoples Temple was not as easy. When Ron Javers attempted to pass through customs, the authorities seized his passport and wallet. They refused to admit him to Guyana. He was detained as the Guyanese authorities found $230 in Guyanese currency in his suitcase. This currency has a value of about $100 US. It was explained that there is a law that no one may remove more than $15 Guyanese currency from the country and no one may bring in Guyanese currency. The authorities held Mr. Javers for approximately 14 hours. [Bob Flick] remained with Mr. Javers during this time and both were released the following day.

On November 15, 1978, [Bob Flick] joined the other news media and Concerned Parents at the Pegasus Hotel, Georgetown, Guyana.

The following three or four days were necessitated to obtain the proper permits from local authorities to make the trip to Jonestown, Guyana.

During these meetings, discussions, and so forth, Charles Garry and Mark Lane interceded on behalf of the Peoples Temple. Both these men are known to [Bob Flick] as Attorneys from the United States who represent the Peoples Temple. [Bob Flick] described these two Attorneys as “radical attorneys”. These Attorneys have defended radical defendants in the past, including James Earl Ray.

After these meetings were held, it was decided that four members of the Concerned Relatives of Peoples Temple would be permitted to have access to the Peoples Temple. These people were Jim Cobb. [Bob Flick] described Jim Cobb as a young Negro male who was a dental student. Mr. Cobb was a former member of the Peoples Temple. Steven Karsaris [Katsaris] was also admitted. An unnamed black lady [Beverly Oliver] was the third member of the committee to be admitted. The fourth member of the committee was a 30-year-old woman [Carol Boyd] who is a sister of one of the residents of Peoples Temple.

SJ 89-123

Also included in this party were members of the media, the Congressman Ryan and aide Jacky Spiers. A member of the United States Embassy at Georgetown, Guyana, was also included in this group. The man’s name was Richard Dwyer. The last member of this group was [Neville Annibourne] a local representative of the Guyanan Government who accompanied the media and family members.

The decision as to who would be permitted to the settlement was made by the authorities at the Peoples Temple. Charles Garry relayed a message that Gordon Lindsey would not be welcome and it was agreed that Lindsey would not accompany the media to the Peoples Temple. An agreement was made among the news people to provide Gordon Lindsey with the information and photographs he may need.

At approximately 3 PM on November 17, 1978, the group boarded a Guyanese airline and flew from Georgetown, Guyana to Jonestown, Guyana. The plane arrived in Jonestown at approximately 4:30 PM. The plane was met by two Port Kituma [Kaituma] police. The group was provided transportation in a truck owned and operated by Peoples Temple.

[Bob Flick] advised they were transported by this truck approximately 10 to 15 miles through narrow roads in jungle terrain. The road had clearings of no more than 20 yards on either side of the highway and traveled through very rough roads with much bush on either side of the roads.

Upon arriving at the Peoples Temple, they were taken to a large “pavilion” style building. This was a building with roof and open on four sides. [Bob Flick] spoke with Reverend Jones and was advised what parameters were to be set up for interviews with the people and officials of Peoples Temple. Interviews of these people were conducted with spotlights and cameras. This was necessary as it was darkening and becoming night. The people that were all interviewed appeared to be happy. There were many reunions of loved ones. [Bob Flick] advised he questioned each person as to whether or not they wanted their pictures taken and if the response was negative, no photographs were taken. After these interviews and initial meetings were held, the

SJ 89-123

Peoples Temple provided a band and quasi-party.

When this show terminated, [Bob Flick] requested permission to spend the evening at the Temple. Reverend Jones refused to allow any sleeping accommodations and advised they must leave the compound. [Bob Flick] advised that the journalists would be glad to sleep on the floor and that no sleeping facilities would be necessary. Reverend Jones denied this and advised the people must leave.

Congressman Ryan and his aide stayed at the compound during the night. Also at the compound were the attorneys Charles Garry and Mark Lane.

During the show which was put on for the visitors, a man named Vern Gosley [Gosney] passed a note in block letters to Don Harris, NBC News. The note stated that Vern Gosley was in fear of his life and that he needed help in leaving Guyana. No mention of this note was made to Congressman Ryan. Upon return to Puerto Rico, this note was passed from [Bob Flick] to Don Dunkel, Vice President of News, NBC, New York, New York.

At approximately 11 PM, Reverend Jones requested the people return to their truck and return to Jonestown [Port Kaituma]. Arrangements were made for the news people and relatives to return the following morning at daybreak.

Although the truck was to return at daybreak for the media, it did not arrive until approximately 11 AM Saturday morning. The journalists took this to mean that Reverend Jones was attempting to shorten their work time as the departure from the Georgetown [Jonestown] area had been set for approximately 2:30 PM that date. The news media was transported back to the Peoples Temple with the Concerned Relatives.

Further interviews were conducted with taping sessions. Several people were interviewed and family members spoke with the visiting Concerned Parents. Interviews were filmed with Reverend Jones and attorneys Charles Garry and Mark Lane. Reverend Jones appeared hostile during these interviews and included much rhetoric concerning the use of the news media concerning his Peoples Temple. At

SJ 89-123

approximately 2 PM Reverend Jones announced “Why not leave”, “Get out of here”. Don Harris explained to Reverend Jones that they had obtained information and interviews during their time at the Peoples Temple. He advised Reverend Jones that he could assure him that the reporting of these interviews would be fair. Jones replied “I hope I live to see you be fair”.

During the stay at the compound, [Bob Flick] observed no weapons were observed and it was advised that there were only hunting weapons. As preparations were made for return to Jonestown [Georgetown], there were approximately 10 to 12 defectors who accompanied the news media and Congressman. Just prior to departure after the majority of the people had boarded the truck, Congressman Ryan returned to the pavilion. The pavilion was approximately 500 yards from the truck. [Bob Flick] advised that a scuffle ensued at the Pavilion which he could not see. He could hear noises coming from this area but could not see what was happening. Moments later Congressman Ryan returned to the truck and had bloodstains on his shirt.

Congressman Ryan got on the truck and everyone departed. There are approximately 30 people on the truck of which 10 to 12 were defectors.

The last person to board the truck was a young American male described as five feet six inches tall, 135 pounds, late 20s, slight build, dirty blonde, curly hair, deep-set piercing blue eyes, wearing a white shirt, white pants and rain parka. Later this man was identified as Larry Layton.

While on the ride back to Georgetown [Port Kaituma], Congressman Ryan explained that when he returned to the pavilion and was talking to Reverend Jim Jones, an unidentified white American male grabbed him from behind. This man put a knife point to his throat. Congressman Ryan explained that he was able to grab the man’s arm and slide slightly away. Someone at the gathering then grabbed the assailant and forced him to the ground. Congressman Ryan advised when he turned he saw the man laying on the ground stabbed with a knife that had been placed against his throat.

SJ 89-123

Congressman Ryan advised him that both attorneys, Mark Lane and Charles Garry, were present during this assault. He noted that they had assisted in saving his life.

While en route to Jonestown [Port Kaituma], Larry Layton did not speak to anyone. Upon arriving at the airport which was at approximately 3 PM, everyone disembarked from the truck and took all of the equipment from the truck. The planes were not at the airstrip as had been previously arranged.

Congressman Ryan provided approximately 10 minute interview to [Bob Flick] in the adjacent metal shed. This shed was next to the airstrip.

At approximately three-thirty, two airplanes landed. One was a twin-engine Otter. The second was a single-engine plane. As there were approximately 30 people to depart and only 25 seats, it was necessary to decide who would stay and who would leave. [Bob Flick] advised that he had decided that he and his crew would stay and allow the others to depart. During this whole wait, Larry Layton had been leaning against the shed with the parka over his clothes. When it came time to load the passengers on the first plane, namely, single-engine plane, Larry Layton announced that he was to be one of the five people. He stated that Congressman Ryan had promised that he would be included in this group. Congressman Ryan’s aide questioned the congressman concerning this and advised that this, in fact, was his wish. The plane was loaded with four people, Tony Katsaris, Vern Gosley, a lady who was a member of the Concerned Relatives and Larry Layton. The single-engine plane began to taxi to the end of the airstrip.

Jim Cobb then noted to [Bob Flick] that a tractor pulling a metal-sided trailer and the truck in which they had been brought, came to the scene across the runway. Then, just as quickly, this tractor-trailer appeared within 100 yards of the twin-engine Otter. [Bob Flick] advised he recognized the driver of the truck as the same man that had driven the party from the Peoples Temple to Jonestown. Also, he identified one of the men standing in the truck as a blonde man. He advised there were approximately one half dozen men

SJ 89-123

standing in the truck and trailer. He could not see this people with the exception of shoulders and heads.

Another truck then drove right to the airplane. This truck had the Guyana police. One of the officers got out of the truck and stood near the airplane with a shotgun. The man stood to the side with this shotgun. [Bob Flick] observed that the people began to applaud when the police appeared. There was degree of anticipation that something bad was going to happen. He believed this was the reason for the Peoples reaction.

[Bob Flick] was standing on the ground in front of the twin-engine Otter talking to the pilot. The pilot was advising him that it would be impossible to return that day for he and his film crew. The return flight would have to be delayed until the next day because of darkness. While they were discussing this return, he heard two shots from behind him. He turned around and saw that the left front tire of the twin-engine Otter had been shot out. At that moment the little single-engine plane was at a ninety-degree angle to the runway, approximately 150 yards towards the end of the runway. Seconds after the first two shots, there was a barrage of gunfire. [Bob Flick] ran approximately 15 yards to an adjacent metal building and lay on the ground for safety. He witnessed the people coming from the Peoples Temple truck walking across the airfield firing handguns and rifles at the news media members. He witnessed these people walking close to the wounded and at point-blank range firing into the bodies of the wounded. He remained in that location for a moment and then got to his feet. He remembered the Guyanese aircraft that had been parked at the end of the runway when they arrived the day before. The aircraft had a damaged nose wheel and had been guarded by Guyanese soldiers. He ran along the runway towards this airplane. He asked the Guyanese soldier to offer protection to the news people who were being fired upon by these assailants. The Guyanese soldier refused to give him any assistance. He then asked the Guyanese soldier to give him a gun so that he may protect himself. The soldier denied this request also.

During the shooting he witnessed the gunman waving the Guyanese citizens out of the way in an effort to

SJ 89-123

protect them.

When he was near the wrecked airplane, he was approximately 15 to 20 yards from the single-engine plane. He heard shots from inside of the plane. The captain jumped out of the airplane and said “Everyone out”. No one else exited the airplane.

He then crossed the runway and ran back though the brush for protection to the twin-engine Otter. When he reached the Otter, he found several members of his crew and Congressman Ryan dead. The assailants had departed in the above-described truck and were gone. Congressman Ryan was laying beside the right front landing gear. He had apparently been wounded and was shot in the head. Bob Brown was laying under the tail of the plane. He had been shot in the head in his head blown partially away. Don Harris was laying centership and had powder burns on his clothing, meaning that he had been shot at very close range. The still photographer, Greg Robinson, was laying behind the wheel of the tire that have been shot out.

He looked for Jim Cobb, as he felt Cobb was one of the other people capable of self-protection due to his physical stature. He could not find Cobb and to his knowledge Cobb is still somewhere in the jungle.

The people that were critically wounded, were taken to a place approximately 50 yards into the jungle. He and Mr. Dwyer made a litter and carried the wounded to this location. He spoke with the three pilots. The pilots advised that he had been broadcasting during the attack. The pilot stated that he had advised by radio that the people were dead and that the congressman had been killed. The pilot advised that there should be help at the airstrip within one hour and 15 [minutes] to one hour and 45 minutes. The pilot reiterated that the news had been sent out and that helicopters would be coming soon. The three pilots then boarded the single-engine airplane and left.

[Bob Flick] advised at that point they had three options. Option number one was to hide where they were in the jungle, option number two was to go to the Guyanese Army tent at the end of the runway, and option number three was to go to town. [Bob Flick] decided that it would be best for the

SJ 89-123

wounded to remain at the airstrip.

The following morning, after approximately 14 hours, it was daylight. Thereafter, approximately 130 Guyanese troops arrived. [Bob Flick] spoke with the Commanding Officer and suggested that he deploy these men on the airfield so that a plane could land safely. The officer did this. [Bob Flick] concern was that the assailants may still be in the jungle and the possibility existed that if a plane landed it would also be assaulted.

Soon after deploying the troops a twin-engine Otter appeared and again the problem of not enough room was encountered. The seats were removed from the airplane and the wounded were loaded first. Eventually, all of the people were removed by the plane to Georgetown. At Georgetown, [Bob Flick] advised he was met by the United States Air Force paratroopers. Their luggage was searched and the people searched.

[Bob Flick] had told the United States officials of the arrest of Larry Layton at Port Kituma. While at the airport in port Kituma, a fellow-member of the media said “Christ”. “There he is”. This was in reference to Larry Layton being at Port Kituma.

[Bob Flick] told the local police there that he was given the automatic revolver that Layton had used to shoot the fellow passengers in the single-engine plane. The gun was then given to Richard Dwyer. Based upon this information, the local police arrested Layton.

Larry Layton was taken into custody and to the police station. During that evening the police returned to advise him that they needed help in guarding the prisoner. He advised them that he could not provide anyone to guard the prisoner.

He then made arrangements for a flight on a Lear jet which was chartered by [Bob Flick] and returned to Puerto Rico.

SJ 89-123

[Bob Flick] advised that he would be willing to provide a signed statement concerning this information. A signed statement was prepared in his presence by dictating to a stenographer. He witnessed the dictation of the statement and was advised it would be typed and brought for his signing on November 21, 1978, at 11 AM. He acknowledged the information in this signed statement to be true and correct before interviewing Agents.

He advised that due to the late hour and the length of interview, he wished to terminate the interview at this point if possible. It was noted that there were two reporters from Newsweek magazine who had waited approximately four hours for a conversation with [Bob Flick].

On November 21, 1978, [Bob Flick] read this FD302 advised that it is true and correct to the best of his knowledge, and signified so by initially each page.




Federal Bureau of Investigation

Date of transcription 11/21/78

[Name deleted] [Robert Flick] was informed of the identity of interviewing Agents. He furnished a signed statement which is as follows:

November 21, 1978
San Juan, Puerto Rico

I, [Robert Flick] furnish the following voluntary statement to Special Agents [names deleted] who have identified themselves to me as Special Agents of the Federal Bureau of Investigation. [Next three lines of autobiographical information deleted]

On November 13, 1978, I [2 lines deleted relating to news crew] I departed San Francisco, California at 10 PM on United Airlines Flight number 24 destined for New York, New York. In my company were Don Harris, correspondent; Bob Brown, cameraman; [line of text identifying Steve Sung deleted]. Also on this commercial airline flight were Congressman Ryan [line of text identifying Jackie Speier and Jim Schollaert deleted]. Other media people were [line of text identifying Tim Reiterman, Greg Robinson and Ron Javers deleted] and approximately 22 family members of people residing at the “Peoples Temple” located in Guyana.

From New York I departed on Pan Am flight number 227 at 3 PM, on November 14, 1978, to continue on to the final destination of Georgetown, Guyana. During the next two to three days meetings were held to set up the trip and story concerning the people at Jonestown. After intermediary action by attorneys Charles Garry and Mark Lane the trip to

SJ 89-123

“People’s Temple” was scheduled for Friday, November 17, 1978. I departed in the company of [deleted words], four members of the family representatives, other members of the media and Congressman Ryan with his aide. Also accompanying was (first name unknown) [Richard] Dwyer, a member of the US Embassy in Georgetown, Guyana, and [Neville Annibourne] a representative of the Guyana government. We flew from Georgetown to Port Kaituma on a chartered airplane of Guyana Airways and arrived at approximately 3 PM, on November 17, 1978. At approximately 4:30 PM I departed in a truck provided by “People’s Temple” bound for “People’s Temple”. It was approximately 10 to 15 miles by truck through narrow jungle roads.

Upon arriving the news party was given a limited opportunity to meet and interview family members who resided there and to conduct limited discussions with Reverend Jones. Reverend Jones explained to me the parameters of my interviews and filming. A band and show were provided for us. During this show a man who was residing at the compound, Vern Gosley, gave a note to [my NBC correspondent] Don Harris. [several words deleted] this note which was in block print saying that Vern Gosley needed help and wanted to leave. The note was brought with me to Puerto Rico and I turned it over to [Don Dunkel, Vice President of News, NBC, New York, New York (previously identified)].

I was told by Reverend Jones that there was no accommodations for sleeping and we must leave the compound. At approximately 11 PM, on November 17, 1978, I left the compound in the company of the media and family members. Mark Lane, Charles Garry, Congressman Ryan and his aide remained at the compound that evening.

Arrangements were made upon their returning to Port Kaituma on transportation back to the compound at daybreak on Saturday, November 18, 1978. The transportation arrived at approximately

SJ 89-123

11 AM on that date and I returned in the company of the fellow media members and family representatives to “People’s Temple”. I continued the interviews and filming. I was provided a limited tour of the compound. At approximately 2 PM Reverend Jones asked, “Why don’t you leave?” “Get out of here.” The members of the media and family as well as approximately 10 to 12 “defectors” were placed on a flatbed truck for departure. Also Congressman Ryan and his aide prepared to leave.

Just prior to leaving Congressman Ryan returned to the pavilion which was approximately 500 yards from the truck where I was sitting. I could hear a scuffle but did not witness any of the happenings. Congressman Ryan came from the compound with blood on his shirt in a shaken condition. He climbed into the truck and at this same time a white male described as approximately 5’6″ tall, weighing 135 pounds, in his late 20s with a slight build and dirty blonde curly hair, got into the truck. He was wearing a white shirt in my pants which were partially covered by a rain poncho. Later this man was identified to me as Larry Layton. He stood in the back of the truck and did not speak to anyone.

Congressman Ryan told me personally that when he returned to the “Temple” and was talking to Reverend Jones in an effort to get the release of approximately eight other people residing in the compound, an unidentified man grabbed him from behind and put the point of a knife to his throat. The congressman advised he grabbed the assailant’s arm and managed to slide partially to the side of the assailant, at which point someone in the group came to his assistance and wrestled the assailant to the ground. Congressman Ryan stated when he turned around, the assailant was lying on the floor and had been stabbed by the same knife. Congressman Ryan advised that present during this assault and witnesses to this assault were attorneys

SJ 89-123

Charles Garry and Mark Lane. The truck departed the compound and returned to the airfield at Port Kaituma. I arrived at Port Kaituma between 3:00 and 3:30 PM.

Previous arrangements had been made for air transportation at 2:30 PM, but there were no airplanes at the airport when I arrived.

[My news crew] conducted an interview with Congressman Ryan at a metal shed adjacent to the airfield. At approximately 3:45 PM a twin engine Otter and a single engine airplane arrived. As there were only approximately 25 seats available and some 30 people to depart, I decided to remain with [my crew] until one of the planes returned.

During this preparation for flight Larry Layton had remained off to the side leaning against a building. When the choosing of passengers was made he demanded to be a member of the passengers for the single engine plane. He advised the congressman’s aide that he had been promised by Congressman Ryan a seat on this plane. The aide checked with Congressman Ryan and confirmed this. Four other passengers and Larry Layton were put on the plane and the plane taxied to a takeoff position.

Jim Cobb called to my attention a tractor pulling a metal trailer and the truck in which we had been brought to the airport. I saw the same driver who drove us from the compound driving this truck and a blonde haired male standing on the trailer. There were other men standing on the trailer whom I cannot identify. These vehicles stopped approximately 50 yards from my location, i.e., the Otter aircraft. A police vehicle drove to my location and a police officer with a shotgun stood near the twin engine Otter as though he were guarding the plane. I was talking with the pilot of the twin engine Otter when I heard two shots. At that point I was standing on the ground

SJ 89-123

[discussing the return of the plane for my film crew (information released in narrative portion)]. I turned around and saw the left tire had been shot out. The single engine plane was at a 90 degree angle to the runway making preparations for departure.

After the two shots there was a pause and then there was a barrage of fire which originated from the area of the truck and spread out around the immediate area of the twin engine Otter and into the “bush”. It seemed to me as though the shots were coming from the whole surrounding area of the aircraft. I ran from under the plane approximately 15 yards to a metal shed and laid on the ground for protection. From this location I could see the assailants shooting at the news party and shooting point blank at the wounded as they lay on the ground.

I got up and ran to the other end of the airfield remembering I had previously seen a damaged aircraft being guarded by a Guyanese soldier who was carrying what I thought to be an automatic weapon. I tried to persuade him to assist us by firing at the assailants; however, when he refused I tried to persuade him to give me the weapon, to no avail.

At this location I was approximately 10 to 15 yards from the single engine plane which had come to rest. I heard gunshots from within the plane. The pilot leaped from the plane and shouted for everyone to get out, but no one else exited the plane.

I crossed the runway into the “bush” and ran back towards the twin-engine Otter. The assailants climbed onto the trailer and truck and departed.

When I got to the twin-engine Otter I found Congressman Ryan lying beside the right front landing gear. It appeared he had been wounded and shot in the head. I found Bob Brown shot in the head lying under the tail of the plane. I found Don Harris lying centership under the plane. I found Greg Robinson line behind the wheel which had been flattened by gunfire.

SJ 89-123

[Richard Dwyer] and I help the wounded to a location approximately 50 yards from the runway into the “bush” for safety.

In speaking with the pilot of the Otter I was informed he had radioed that Congressman Ryan and other people were dead and the severity of the assault.

After dark I assisted in taking the wounded to the Guyana army tent, adjacent to the wrecked airplane. The remainder of the victims went to a shelter in the nearby town.

Approximately 14 hours passed when approximately 130 Guyanese troops arrived by railroad. Protection was set up at the airport for incoming airplanes and preparations made for evacuation.

I returned to Georgetown in a Guyanese Government airplane. After approximately one hour in Georgetown I was transported to Puerto Rico on a chartered jet.

I read the above statement, consisting of this and additional pages. I have initialed each page and now sign it because it is true and correct to the best of my knowledge.

/s/ [Bob Flick]

[Names of witnessing agents deleted]