Serial 1222

United States Department of Justice
Federal Bureau of Investigation
Date: 12/8/78
To: Mr. Moore
From: J. O. Ingram

Subject: RYMUR

Daily Summary

Investigation conducted in Guyana

Legat Robert Oglesby telephonically advised that the Guyanese Police have two crates of tapes at the Guyanese Police Station which they are preparing to release to the American Embassy. In addition, there are apparently two crates of tapes and/or documents at Jonestown. An Agent of our Technical Assistance Team was in Jonestown today to evaluate any evidence that might remain at that location. Oglesby anticipated that the Guyanese Government will release all documents and tapes so that they may be shipped back to FBI HQ for review and any appropriate laboratory examinations.

Oglesby was advised that the State Department had requested that he assist a State Department Agent in the interview of Paula Adams, concerning alleged misconduct on the part of Department of State employee, Richard McCoy. Assistant Director Donald W. Moore authorized Oglesby to participate in this interview. Oglesby advised he was prepared and willing to participate in the interview, but stated that the Deputy Commissioner of Police had told him that Paula Adams had obtained an attorney, and it was unlikely that she would submit to interview.

Oglesby further advised that Paula Adams had attempted to cash a $20,000 check on the Peoples Temple account in Guyana, but the bank had refused to honor this check. The Guyanese Government has apparently frozen all bank accounts of the Peoples Temple in that country.


[Page 2]

Memo Ingram to Mr. Moore

Oglesby stated that additional bank accounts on the Peoples Temple have been discovered. Records show that the Temple had three bank accounts at the Bank of Montréal, 333 California Street, San Francisco. Total amount in these accounts amounted to approximately $21,000. In addition, records were found showing a $76,000 bank account at the Grenada National Bank, One Bruce Street, Grenada, West Indies.

Oglesby stated that an evaluation by the FBI team on-site at Georgetown was being undertaken and that by Monday, he should be able to advise of an approximate amount of work remaining to be done, and the amount of time it will take to complete the assignment.

Investigation at San Francisco

The Federal Grand Jury began an inquiry into this matter at 9:30 AM, Pacific Standard Time. As of 12/8/78, no information had been received as a result of this Grand Jury. ASAC Larry Lawler stated that with Bureau concurrence the USA’s Office and the FBI were issuing a statement verifying the issuance of eight arrest reports in this matter and confirming that all of the individuals for whom arrest warrants have been issued have been positively identified by fingerprints as being dead.

Investigation at New York

The New York Office expects no more returnees from Guyana prior to Wednesday of next week. The machinery for interviewing the returnees, and processing them is in place. As soon as notification of return is made the New York Office will be in a position to activate their operation. The New York Office is in daily contact with [one line of text deleted] who will advise immediately if any Peoples Temple members are scheduled to fly out of Guyana.