Serial 1305-3

[Editor’s note: One of the subjects of this serial whose name is deleted is Temple member Thomas Charles Beikman, who was in Georgetown on November 18, 1978. The deleted information from the memorandum – designated by brackets – which is known to the editor has been indicated by red type. In addition, many of the FBI interviews summarized in the FD-302s of the RYMUR investigation deleted the verb following the deleted name of the interview subject; most oftentimes, that word was “advised,” and the word has accordingly been supplied.]


Federal Bureau of Investigation

Date of transcription 12/13/78

[Name deleted] [Thomas Charles Beikman] also known as (AKA) [Thomas Charles Kutulas], a passenger on Pan-American Flight 228, was advised of the identities of the interviewing Special Agents (SAS), and that of Special Agent [Name deleted], United States Secret Service (USSS), and that the interview concerned the activities prior to and after the death of Congressman Leo Ryan and his entourage in Jonestown, Guyana. He was further advised that the interview would be extensive and that he could stop talking to the SAS at any time. [Beikman] agreed to be interviewed and provided the following information:

[Beikman advised] he was not in Georgetown on November 18, 1978, for he had left for Georgetown, Guyana, on November 15, 1978, for medical treatment. [Several words deleted] a flatbed truck, driven by Eddie Crenshaw, brought him to Georgetown, where he met his father, [3 lines regarding Charles Beikman deleted].

[Beikman advised] he heard that Congressman Ryan would be coming to Jonestown and that Reverend Jim Jones had told the people to ensure that they had entertainers, singers and dancers ready. While still in Georgetown, on November 17, 1978, [Beikman advised] a call was received from Jonestown, indicating that Congressman Ryan was pleased and “everything went okay.” [Beikman] then stated that he heard of Ryan’s death over the radio the next day, and subsequently read about it the next day in the local newspaper. Moreover, he then also read of the report of the death of 914 people.

[Beikman advised] he no longer thought of going back to Jonestown, after this incident, even though his mother [Rebecca Beikman] and [brother, Ronald LaMont Beikman] were there. He presumed that they had also died in the mass suicide and was not optimistic that they would still be alive. At the same time, however, [balance of line deleted]

[Page 2]
BQ 89-495

[2 lines deleted] the police came to the Lamaha Gardens, Georgetown, where 46 Peoples Temple (PT) members were staying, subsequent to the discovery of the Amos family. The police searched the people, their clothing, and the premises.

[Beikman advised] the Guyanese police attempted to charge him with the Amos’ death, but instead charged [his father] because he is illiterate. [Beikman advised] that he saw Sharon Amos with a knife in her hand prior to hearing a little girl say, “Oh, momma.” He did not see who killed Sharon Amos and her children. However, he described Amos as a devout follower of Reverend Jones, and that she would follow him to the end. Amos was also described as being in charge of the PT’s public relations operation in Georgetown. [Beikman advised] her to be a psychologist, but she also appeared to him to be a “schizophrenic” in his opinion.

[Beikman] added that prior to the death of Sharon Amos and her three children, he was told by someone at the house that Amos’s husband, Sherwin Harris, had visited her for the first time in nine years.

[Beikman advised] until four days ago, he was under house arrest in Georgetown. On or about December 2, 1978, United States (US) Embassy advised him to pack his belongings because he would be leaving Guyana. Prior to leaving Guyana, he stayed at the Tower Hotel, in Georgetown.

[Beikman advised] the following information regarding his membership in the PT. He stated that as a result of his parents’ participation in the Church, in Indianapolis, Indiana, he said he was a member since the age of one or two. When he was [several words deleted] his parents decided to go to California and settled in Willits, California in 1965. However, in 1963 or 1964, his parents, [line deleted] were going through divorce proceedings; at the behest of Reverend Jones, his parents were remarried in Willits, California by Jones. From Willits, the family moved to Hoppland, back to Willits and then back to Hoppland, California.

[Page 3]
BQ 89-495

While in Hopland, [several words deleted] at night in order to earn an income. During the day, the [line deleted]. However, in 1965, the family moved to Ukiah, California, following a fire at [location deleted].

In early 1966, the family again moved, settling in Redwood Valley, California. [4 lines heavily redacted]

[Two lines deleted describing Edith and Dan Kutulas] were given legal guardianship of young [Beikman]. His natural parents, through arrangements made by Reverend Jones, signed the documents giving the [Kutulas’] guardianship over him.

[Paragraph describing guardians heavily redacted]

[Paragraph deleted]

[Paragraph describing Thomas Beikman’s employment heavily redacted]

[Page 4]
BQ 89-495

[line deleted] said that he worked for the PT in Redwood Valley, under [name deleted] who was in charge of paperwork and [line deleted] said he worked under [name deleted] for about one or two years.

[Beikman] said, he went to San Francisco and lived at 998 Divisadero, where the PT paid for his room and board. [Beikman advised] he ate his meals at the PT Church in San Francisco, at work at the PT’s [several words deleted]. During that time, he was assigned to [name deleted], a male, black, 70 years of age.

[Beikman advised] stated that on September 8, 1977, arrangements were made by a PT member, Debbie Blakey, to have him issued a US Passport. [Beikman advised] he wanted to see his mother and father, who were in Guyana. [Charles Edward Beikman] had gone to Guyana in 1973 at his wife, [Rebecca May Beikman] followed him with [his brother Ronald LaMont Beikman] on Christmas Day, 1974. [The Beikman] family lived in Jonestown, after having lived for a while in Port Kaituma. [Name deleted], a PT member, who was a typist and [Name deleted] went to Guyana with [Name deleted]. [Editor’s note: According to later research, those who accompanied Rebecca Beikman to Guyana were Janet Wilsey and Kenneth Bowie, who died in Jonestown].

[Beikman advised] Reverend Jones first began to talk about a move to Guyana while he was in Redwood Valley. Jones is reported to have said that the PT Church would do missionaries work, and help Guyana in its fight against poverty. Moreover, [Beikman advised] Jones wanted to “get away from the United States,” with his small son, John Victor Stone [Stoen]. Stone was the son of Grace Stone, a female, white, approximately 24-27 years of age. Jones was purported to have been waging a custody battle with Grace Stone, because Jones said that young Stone was his son. [Beikman advised] John Victor Stone was known as John Jones in Jonestown.

Grace Stone’s husband, Tim Stone, a male, white, 43-47 years of age, is reported to have left the PT Church in 1977. Reverend Jones, [Beikman advised], referred to Tim Stone as a sexual deviate. [Beikman] knew him to have been an Assistant District Attorney in Mendocino County, and had an office in Ukiah, California in the early 1970s.

[Page 5]
BQ 89-495

Grace Stone was known to him to be a Head Counselor in the PT, who kept an agenda of people who were “bawled out.” She reportedly also left the PT.

[Beikman advised] when he arrived in Georgetown, in October, 1977, he stayed at 41 Lamaha Gardens, in Camonville (phonetic) and then proceeded to Jonestown, by boat, along with 15 to 20 other passengers. Some of the people he knew to be passengers were the following:

Tunitra Fayne [Tinetra Fain]
Shirley Hicks, her son and her sister’s son
Rimeldo [Romaldo] Hicks, nine years old
Anthony Hicks, 12 years old

Upon arriving in Jonestown, he was given orientation and then was taken to a house. He was told that there were 52 cottages, with 15 people assigned to each cottage, and five dormitories. A total of 1200 PT members lived in Jonestown, some of whom lived in a Senior Citizen Health Care Center.

[Beikman advised] he initially lived in Cottage 6 for a few weeks, then moved to College 4 or 25, finally moving to Cottage [several words deleted]. At this cottage, [Beikman advised] he was responsible to insure that the boys were washed and taken care of. [Beikman advised] that he moved to a new Cottage, number 47, where he stayed for two months. Thereafter, he moved to Cottage number 52, following an operation [several words deleted].

While in Jonestown, [Beikman advised] his duties comprise being a [several words deleted]. He also worked on tractors and a large army truck, similar to a US Army surplus truck. He also operated chainsaws, fixed stoves and various broken items.

[Beikman advised] in February, 1978, he suffered a [nature of injury to his arm deleted] as result of a rear tractor tire explosion. On February 6, 1978, he was first operated at St. Joseph Mercy Hospital in Georgetown. In June/July, 1978, he was operated for a second time, in Prosad’s Hospital, Georgetown. In October, 1978, a third operation was performed, on the same arm, in Georgetown Hospital, Georgetown.

[Page 6]
BQ 89-495

[Beikman advised] during his stay in Guyana, he and other PT members were required to attend meetings on specific days:

Wednesdays – one meeting
Saturdays – one meeting
Sundays – two meetings

During these meetings, [Beikman advised] Reverend Jones said that he was the reincarnation of Lenin, Buddha, and Christ. In such, he spoke of helping the poor, oppressed, the handicapped, of instituting food programs, and also spoke about housing. [Beikman advised] since 1975 or 1976, Jones took offerings from the PT members. Prior to that time, PT members were required to and did give 25% of their total gross earnings. If they did not, at Wednesday night meetings they “caught hell.” [Beikman advised] he always gave his money. Those members who did not, would be publicly embarrassed by the PT “counselors.”

[Beikman advised] at one time, while in High School, in San Francisco, he got “whacked 50 times” because he did not want to mingle between PT members and was also caught smoking. PT members were prohibited from smoking. [Beikman] said he had other friends outside of the Church that he wanted to be with.

[Beikman viewed] Reverend Jones initially as a charismatic person who attempted to involve the congregation in his talk and the true meaning of Christ. [Beikman] said that he did not understand Jones, and remained confused. Often, [Beikman advised] Jones used public embarrassment and made the members fearful of him through intimidation. In one instance, [Beikman advised] Jones said that he had a connection to the Mafia.

[Beikman advised] people in the PT were made to sign incriminating statements about themselves; some of whom would also stand up and state, “I give permission for my son to be spanked.” Moreover, during each meeting in San Francisco, Los Angeles, and Redwood Valley, California,

[Page 7]
BQ 89-495

the members signed their names on blank, legal size paper, and they were expected to do so. As a result of this, some people left the PT, but were continually harassed by Jones. [Several words deleted] recently told him via the telephone that he [Beikman] would be shot upon his return.

While in San Francisco, [Beikman advised] Eva Pugh received money from the collections, in her position as Treasurer, and took it to the bank. Those assisting Pugh were the following:

Debbie Blakey
Robin Cheddar [Tschetter] [balance of line deleted]
[name deleted]

[Beikman] stated that if any PT members got involved with the police, Jones said that he would talk to people, or go to court, and tell the authorities that the persons involved were willing to leave for South America, and thereby would be “let go.” One such person [line deleted] was Greg Watkins, a male, black, 23-24 years of age, muscular build, medium height. Watkins was purported to have been caught stealing someone’s purse; went to court; and then went to Guyana after his matter was taken care of. Watkins was reported to have worked the fields in Guyana.

[Beikman] stated that Reverend Jim Jones, a.k.a. “Final Word,” enter the PT with the triumvirate composed of the following persons: Carolyn Layton, Karen Layton, and Terri Buford, who was called “brains” by Jones. These three were responsible for the following departments:

1. Saw Mill/Wood Shop and Mechanic Shop
In charge: Charles Touchette and Lee Ingram

[Page 8]
BQ 89-495

2. a) Kitchen Department
In charge: Stanley Clayton
Male, black

b) Laundry
In charge: Joyce Touchette
Female, white

c) Bakery
In charge: Ellen Klayman [Klingman]

3. Business Department
In charge: Kaye [Kay] Nelson
Female, black

[Beikman advised] Nelson was also in charge of the people who made dolls for the PT in Georgetown. These dolls, [Beikman advised], were shaped in the figure of puppies and Mickey Mouse and were stuffed with cut-up material. [Beikman had] no knowledge that these dolls contained drugs. Nelson was also described as being in business to make money.

4. Housing Department
In charge: Ava Jones

[Beikman advised] [Ava Jones was] Johnny Brown Jones’ wife. Johnny Brown Jones was Reverend Jones’s adopted son.

5. Fields Department
In charge: Jack Beam
Male, white

[Beikman advised] Beam assigned people to work on the following crews:

a) Cassava Crew – picked cassavas (similar to potatoes)

[Page 9]
BQ 89-495

b. Edos [Eddoes] Crew – similar to Cassava crew

c. Banana Crew – headed by Danny Kutulas

This crew was also responsible for grapes and papaya plants.

d. Citrus Group – headed by Becky Flowers, a female, black

6. Transportation Department
In charge: Albert Touchette

[Beikman advised] besides these duties, Touchette was also in charge of plumbing, foundations and cutting down trees.

7. Construction Department
In charge: Charlie Touchette

8. Teaching Department
In charge: Ava Jones (see Housing)

[Beikman advised] Jones was in charge of a Relationship Committee which:

(a) Planned that a PT member would maintain a three month platonic relationship with a PT member of opposite sex.

(b) At the end of this initial period, these individuals would maintain a sexual relationship for a period of six months. However, if at the end of this period, the couple wished to break the relationship, it did so, or the couple married.

[Beikman advised] he did not like this arrangement.

[Page 10]
BQ 89-495

9. Medical Department

In charge: Marcelline [Marceline] Jones (deceased), described as Reverend Jones’ wife and Phyllis Chakin [Chaikin], a female, white.

a. X-Ray – Al Cheddar [Tschetter] in charge.

[Beikman advised] Larry Layton, who worked the fields, also worked with Cheddar in the X-Ray Unit.

b. Pharmacy – Don Fields in charge.

[Beikman advised] Fields was a pharmacist in Los Angeles. He filled the doctor’s prescriptions, only, [several words deleted], and no other drugs.

c. Nursery – Sharon Cobb in charge

d. Physical Therapy – Edith Bouge [Bogue] in charge.

[Beikman advised] he went to this unit three times a week for therapy of his [deletion referring to arm injury].

e. Dental – Tommie Rochelle and Sandra James in charge

f. Doctors Office – Dr. Larry Schact [Schacht] in charge

[Beikman advised] he was treated by Schact during the time he [deletion referring to arm injury]. He met Schact in the US while he [Beikman] was in Junior High School. At that time, Schact was a hippie, and drug addict. Reverend Jones took Schact to Redwood Valley, and was thereafter “straightened out,” and sent to college. His medical education in Mexico in San Francisco was financed by the PT. [Beikman] also stated that Schact was a homosexual, and he did not like Schact.

When queried regarding Schact’s activities prior to the mass suicide, [Beikman advised] he had no information regarding the acquisition of poison, nor was he aware of any “contingency plans” in the event of Reverend Jones’ death, including the mass suicide death of Congressman Ryan.

[Page 11]
BQ 89-495

[Beikman advised] he had heard talk about “juice” drills, but had never witnessed them, nor did he take them seriously. However, he stated, after the mass suicide, he read in the newspaper that Schact was assisted by many people, but only read that Joyce Touchette made the Kool-Aid. [Beikman advised] he did not have any knowledge of any drugs being grown or trafficked by the PT, nor of the drug, Thorazine.

[Beikman advised] Tish LeRoy maintained a chart of the departments, as well as taking notes at meetings.

[Beikman advised] besides the different departments he had mentioned, the PT had other members known as follows:

a) Observers – headed by Johnny Brown Jones, Reverend Jones’ adopted son.

These “observers” went around and checked if everyone was working or not. [Beikman advised] he had seen Johnny Brown Jones with a handgun under his arm.

b) Dispatch Group – an office comprised of young girls responsible for security and the front entrance to Jonestown. The girls were as follows:

Terri Buford
Debbie Blakey
Carolyn Layton
Karen Layton

They utilized radios (C.B.’s) in the Radio Room to maintain communications between the Dispatch Office and other members in and around Jonestown. On one occasion, [Beikman advised] he went to the Radio Room in order to make an announcement because [several words deleted] was lost.

[Page 12]
BQ 89-495

c) Public Service Unit (PSU)
In charge: Marthea Hicks – a female, black
Sebastian McMurray – a male, black

This unit was a disciplinary unit. If a member received three warnings a month, or the crew supervisor “wrote you up,” the member was placed in this unit. Then the member(s) were made to run all day while going from one job to the next. Tasks also performed work to cut grass with a cutlass.

d) Letter Writing Committee

This committee, comprised of Rita Tupper, a female, white, and Geraldine Bailey, a female, black, were responsible for censorship. [Beikman advised] Reverend Jones had the whole PT community scored. Jones was purported to drill the PT members as to what they would have to say the US Embassy representatives in Guyana. Moreover, PT members were also told that if they went to the US Embassy in an attempt to leave Guyana, Jones said he would know, for he had people in the Embassy who would let him know. In addition, [Beikman advised] PT members were also drilled as to what they were to say on the radio during telephone patches.

[Beikman advised] Reverend Jones did not like it when US Embassy people came to Jonestown. Jones referred to them as CIA people. [Beikman advised] he saw US Embassy people in Jonestown on four separate occasions.

With regard to religious activities, [Beikman advised] “meetings” were held whenever Jones wanted to, and he changed them around so that the people did not know when they would be held. During these meetings, persons who headed specific departments would give an account of their department. As an example, an agriculture report would be given in accordance with the yearly plan, to see if all had been done according to the plan. In addition, Reverend Jones gave speeches, and talked about Marx, Lenin; that he did not like the US, and tried to make everyone else not like it. [Beikman advised] Jones said that the US did not take care of its own people.

[Page 13]
BQ 89-495

[Beikman advised] Jones had a “relish” for members who left the PT. Jones thought that those who left were with the CIA.

While in Jonestown, [Beikman advised], he knew that one individual who ran away. This individual was Tommy Bogue. He was found near Port Kaituma and then placed in the Public Service Unit.

There were occasions, [Beikman advised], that the PT members were awakened during the night for their “protection.” They were then brought to the pavilion where they sat on benches, sometimes staying for 10 to 12 hours. [Beikman] stated that he did not know of a “contingency plan” espoused by Jones in retaliation for interfering with Church policies. He did hear that other members with through drills in case someone came to shoot them. Jones is purported to have said that ex-members would come back to kill them. If this were to happen, Jones said that the people were to drink a potion. If the people disagreed, they were ridiculed by other members. Only one such person that disagreed, and known [to Beikman], was Christine Miller, who is deceased.

[Beikman advised] he did not have any knowledge of any PT members receiving firearms trainings. However, he did say that he knew that Sharon Amos was attempting to obtain a pistol license for Tim Jones, through one of the Guyanese ministers. [Beikman advised] he overheard a conversation between the two individuals, 4 to 6 months ago, at which time Amos asked if “they have been cleared to get the license” in Georgetown.

With regard to any awareness of threats to harm public officials, current members or former members of the PT, [Beikman advised] he knew nothing pertaining to public officials. [Beikman advised] Jones said that if anything happened to him as a result of action taken by the PT members who left, all he (Jones) had to do was to call a friend in the Mafia.

[Page 14]
BQ 89-495

[Beikman advised] he knew the following individuals as being members of the PTs Planning Commission:

Elmer Myrtles [Mertle]
Dan [Deanna] Myrtles
Tim Stone
Grace Stone
Eva Pugh
Carolyn Layton
Karen Layton

Additionally, [Beikman advised] he fears the Myrtles because they are dangerous people, and the Stones, even though they left the PT. Moreover, Larry Layton was a confidant of Reverend Jones, and was described as a “crazy” individual, who would do anything for Jones, including a capability to kill.

[Beikman advised] he was not afraid of anyone that he had given his forwarding address to. In any event, he added, he would attempt to contact an attorney through the San Francisco Temple to help him. When asked why he would contact an attorney, [Beikman advised] he was told in Guyana that he would probably need one upon his return to the US. Nonetheless, [Beikman advised] he no longer considered himself a member of the PT and denounced Jim Jones, his Church and all that he taught.

[Beikman advised] he had never heard the term, “The Angels;” he was not aware of any discussions regarding the assassination of Congressman Ryan and his party; nor did he know Jones ordered the party be ambushed. In addition, he stated that he did not know if there were any practiced drills for ambush of anyone who disturbed the Jonestown compound. After the assassination, he heard that Larry Layton had shot Congressman Ryan and Patricia Parks. [Beikman advised] after the deaths he read in the paper that there was an assassination squad, but he did not know if it existed.

[Page 15]
BQ 89-495

When further asked if he knew if the remaining individuals who are at liberty, will carry out their assassination plans of survivors or defectors, [Beikman advised] he did not want to be bothered and hoped that they would “let the thing die.”

[Beikman advised] the following individuals that he knew had access to the radio which was in Paula Adams’s name:

Sharon Amos – Georgetown (deceased)
Mary Weatherspoon [Wotherspoon] – presently in Georgetown [deceased]
Mike Carter – presently in Georgetown; fixed the radio(s).

[Beikman advised] the code of the following words:

White Night – meant to come to a meeting at the Pavilion in Jonestown.

Bible – [Beikman advised] Jim Jones say it in San Francisco, and said it meant “gun.”

[Beikman advised] on one occasion when he was in Georgetown, his mother told him that a Soviet Ambassador had come to Jonestown. Moreover, in October, 1978, there began in Jonestown, classes in Russian, Portuguese, and Spanish.

[Beikman advised] he heard Reverend Jones say in San Francisco that Lieutenant Governor DiMally [Mervyn Dymally] (phonetic) what helped Jones in his hope for [hoped-for] move to Guyana by writing letters of reference for him (Jones). Additionally, [Beikman advised] he saw DiMally at a testimonial dinner in San Francisco; and that Jones said that DiMally had gone to Guyana.

[Page 16]
BQ 89-495

With regard to Reverend Jones having bodyguards, [Beikman advised] in the last couple of months, Jones was sickly looking, with swollen joints, slurred speech, bloated looking, and had to be led around. [Beikman advised] Jones appeared to him to be very paranoid, i.e., “he thought that everyone was out to get him and he let everyone feel that way.” In this vein, [Beikman advised] Jones, in his talk of a suicide drill, said that the members should “die with dignity.” In addition to his receiving assistance during this latter period of time, [Beikman advised] Jones had his two sons with him and some people who were observers. Moreover, he also had the following persons around him:

Johnny Jones: Observed on the pulpit next to Jones, with a gun strapped to his side. Johnny Jones was also observed with a weapon on different occasions.

Billy Oliver: Male, black, 250 pounds, 5’10”-5’11”, black hair, dark complexion, huge and muscular shape. [Line deleted] in the PT in San Francisco; capable of carrying out “contingency plan” if existed.

Bruce Oliver: (Billy Oliver’s brother) Male, black, 5’9″, 185 pounds, black hair, medium complexion

“Poncho” [Garry Dartez Johnson]: Male, black, 5’8″, average build, 165-185 pounds, described as dangerous, was observed at PT meetings in San Francisco.

[Page 17]
BQ 89-495

[Beikman advised] he knew Paula Adams to have a strictly business relationship with Reverend Jones.

[Beikman advised] he had no knowledge regarding a primitive nuclear device, nor was he aware of or ever heard of anything kept in Hut 14.

The following individuals were mentioned [by Beikman] who subsequently provided their descriptions:

Joe Wilson: Male, black, slim build, 6’1″-6’2”, a bodyguard of Reverend Jones. Observed with a gun and shotgun on several occasions. [Beikman advised] scared of him.

Albert Touchette: Male, white, average height, long blonde Afro, well-built. He was in charge of tractors.

Ron James: Male, black, tall, very slender, Afro hair, 4 inches high, proficient in karate and a black belt. Was observed in the San Francisco Temple, alive in Jonestown; capable of killing someone

Tom Kice: A carpenter; worked on construction

Bob Kice: Held a gun to Tom Kice’s head during one of the White Nights because Tom wanted to leave the PT

Tim Jones, a.k.a. Tupper: Male, white, adopted son of Reverend Jones, hung around with Albert Touchette

[Page 18]
BQ 89-495

Jimmy Jones, Jr.: Male, black, 6’3″-6’4” inches, 135-140 pounds, pressed hair in curls; Reverend Jones’ natural son [adopted son]

Eddy [Eddie] Crenshaw: Male, black, 180-200 pounds, a security bodyguard; seen with a gun

Ron Tally [Talley]: Male, white, 5’4″-5’6″, medium build; an observer; seen with a gun in the pavilion

Herbert Newell: Male, black, 6’2″-6’3″, average weight, black hair; alive in Guyana

Johnnie [Johnny] Cobb: Male, black, 6’3″-6’4″, slim build, observed walking with Reverend Jones

Johnnie [Johnny] Jones: Male, black, 5’9″-6’2″, slim build, 29-32 years; Reverend Jones’ bodyguard, observed with a gun many times.

Lou [Lew] Jones: Male, Korean, 5’8″-5’9″, 22-23 years; Reverend Jones’ adopted son; observed with a shotgun once in Jonestown.

Mark Cordell: Male, white, 5’6″-5’8″, 18-20 years; member of basketball team; never observed with a gun

Jim MacElvane [McElvane]: Male, black, deceased; previously observed with a gun in Redwood Valley, California

[Page 19]
BQ 89-495

Gary Johnson: Male, black, 5’5″, medium built; work on radios in Jonestown

Emmit [Emmett] Griffith: Male, black, light hair, observed with a shotgun

Ed Crenshaw: Male, black, 180-200 pounds, 25 years, married to Francine Crenshaw, one child; observed with a gun in Jonestown

Steve [Stephan] Jones: Male, white, 6’6″, 175-180 pounds, 19 years; Reverend Jones’ real son, observed with a gun; member of basketball team

Doug Sanders: Male, black, 5’9″-5’10”, 29-32 years, medium build, black hair, 4 inches high; an electrician; presently in Jonestown

Stanley Gieg: Male, white, 6’6″, 130 pounds, 18-19 years, mechanic, truck driver of flatbed truck, never observed with gun or rifle

Lee Ingram: Male, black, 6’3”-6’4″, slender build, yelled a lot, got mad easily, and publicly embarrassed members

[Page 20]
BQ 89-495

Mike Touchette: Male, white, 5’9″-6’, 135-140 pounds, brown hair; previously seen in Redwood Valley; observed with a hunting rifle

Danny Moten: Male, black, average height and build, 23-24 years; observed with a gun in Jonestown, one of the observers

Calvin Douglas: Male, black, 5’9″, 18-19 years, slender build; member of basketball team, observed with a gun

Cleveland Newell: Male, black, 6 feet, average weight, 23 years, curly hair; member of basketball team

Wesley Briedenbach: Male, white, tall, curly natural blonde hair, 18-19 years; drove tractor

Yvonne Hayden: Female, black, 5’4″, 130 pounds, 18-20 years; described as an observer

Bonnie Simon: Female, white, 5’8″-5’9″, 145 pounds, 33-34 years; described as an observer; believed to be in Jonestown

Paul McCann: Male, white, 6’4″-6’5″, 24-25 years, medium build; member of basketball team

[Page 21]
BQ 89-495

Pauline Groot: Female, white, 24 years, long brown hair, described as professor of Chemistry; worked in the Doctor’s Office

Don Fields: Male, white, 5’6″, 130 pounds, slender, in his 40s, pharmacist, dispensed prescription drugs

Tom Grubbs: Male, white, 35 years, 5’10”, average build; principal of the school

Marie Rankin: Female, black, 145-150 pounds, short hair, tall in height, a surveyor

Robert Rankin: Male, black, 6 feet, slender, 28 years, a surveyor

Terri Buford: Female, white, 6 feet tall, 26 years, slender build; described as very emotional; dangerous; [2 lines deleted]

Prior to terminating the interview, [Beikman was] asked what the following phrase meant, which was written in his notebook: “Give them my love and tell them that I miss them.” [Line deleted related to Charles Beikman’s message to son] told him this just before he left Guyana and he wrote it down so he would not forget. [Beikman advised] with this phrase, his father wanted him to give all his relatives his love and that he (father) missed them.

The following description of [Thomas Charles Beikman] was obtained through interview and observation:

[Editor’s note: Information on pages 22 and 23 relating to Beikman’s description, residence, education, and relatives deleted]