PAGE 01 GEORGE 03837 211658Z
[Listing of agencies receiving informational copy on PDF]
O 211645Z NOV 78
FM AMEMBASSY GEORGETOWN
TO SECSTATE WASHDC NIACT IMMEDIATE 8119
UNCLAS GEORGETOWN 3837
E.O. 11652: N/A
SUBJ: REQUEST FOR EQUIPMENT BY GOG DIRECTOR OF CIVIL AVIATION
1. Robert Roberts, Director of GOG Civil Aviation, has submitted three lists of equipment set out below, for the use of the Guyana Airways Corporation (GAC) and/or Guyana Defense Force (GDF) Air Command.
2. The first list of equipment is to allow the GAC, which is responsible for all commercial civilian aircraft operations within Guyana, to resume normal operations as soon as possible. It should be noted that GAC lost the use of one Twin Otter aircraft as a result of the shooting incident at Port Kaituma on Nov. 18. GAC is requesting not only a replacement for the aircraft, but also an additional backup aircraft which can be used in their normal operations to Port Kaituma.
3. The second list of equipment consists of spare parts for helicopters operated by the GDF Air Command rotor wing.
4. The third list consists of equipment to facilitate evacuation efforts in the Matthews Ridge and Port Kaituma. In regard to the third list, Roberts has advised that because
PAGE 02 GEORGE 03837 211658Z
of the current rainy season the airstrip at Matthews Ridge can handle C-130 aircraft only if reinforced runway matting is provided. If the runway matting is not available, Roberts recommends use of a deHavilland Buffalo aircraft or USAAF C-123B (Provider) for evacuation purposes.
5. Embassy recommends favorable USG consideration of this request. We will attempt to rationalize duplications or questionable items.
6. Equipment for GAC:
Two (2) series 300 Twin Otter aircraft with low airframe and engine hours, fitted with utility seats
One (1) spare engine and propeller for each of above aircraft
One (1) avionics air package for each of the above aircraft.
7. Equipment for rotor wing, GDF Air Command:
Two (2) power turbine governors (Bendix) 6876268
One (1) nickel cadmium batteries 24 volts 12 amp/HR 276622-21
One (1) marathon cadmium battery 24 volt 34 am/fr type no. MA-5 part no. 75 24489-1
Two (2) torque transmitters part no. 3567758-6501/6503
Two (2) main rotor blades part no. 204-200 011-33
One (1) integrated valve and filter assembly 212-076-006-007
Twelve (12) Mallory batteries part no. MN 1604 OR 522
One (1) Acturator assembly part no. 212-01-081-1
One (1) Acturator assembly 212-001-080-1
One (1) Acturator assembly 212-001-549-1
Four (4) course selector indicator p/n 520-5160-006 (manufacturers and Dorne and Margolin).
Four (4) receiver (DME Primus – 10) manufactured by RCA p/n MI 585101.
PAGE 03 GEORGE 03837 211658Z
8. Equipment for evaluation purposes:
Twelve (12) walkie-talkie sets for search and rescue
One hundred (100) portable runway lights
Two (2) portable radio navigation beacons (for Matthew’s Ridge, Jonestown or Port Kaituma)
Runway stabilizing equipment for Matthew’s Ridge airstrip if C-130 is used
Either one (1) deHavilland Buffalo or one (1) C123 “Provider” for evacuation purposes if C-130 not used.