From 1970 to 1972 – the years of Peoples Temple’s greatest expansions from Redwood Valley into San Francisco and Los Angeles – the church communicated with its many members with a periodic newsletter. Typed on letter-sized paper – but with the margins running from edge to edge to permit the greatest number of words – the newsletters included such information as:
- News of Temple activities;
- Future appearances by Jim Jones before various congregations;
- Reports of healings from the most recent Temple services;
- Messages from Jim Jones, including his interpretations of the Bible and his views on reincarnation;
- Political developments which Temple members needed to be aware of;
- Lists of supporters, with requests to patronize the business supporters of the Temple; and
- Requests for donations.
The newsletter circulation was about 36,000, according to one edition, and several made appeals for readers to keep in regular contact so that they wouldn’t be dropped from subscription rolls.
The documents are reprinted courtesy of the California Historical Society (MS 3800, Box 77, folder 1203)