0 240112Z NOV 78
FM JCS [Joint Chiefs of Staff] WASHINGTON DC //CJCS//
TO [Listing of 18 military base and federal agency recipients on pdf]
PAGE 2 RUEKJCS 2580 CONFIDENTIAL
SUBJECT: AIRCRAFT/PERSONAL SECURITY FOR TRANSPORTATION OF JONESTOWN SURVIVORS (U)
REF: A. SECSTATE 230055Z NOV 78 (NOTAL)
B. JCS 231405Z NOV 78 (NOTAL)
1. (C) References advised US military aircraft would be utilized to evacuate Jonestown survivors from Georgetown to Charleston AFB, SC.
2. (C) Due to personal security concerns survivors will be separated into two separate flights. Amemb [American Embassy] Georgetown will segregate passengers and release personnel for embarkation after release by GOG [Government of Guyana].
3. (C) Members of Dept of Justice US Marshals Service Special Operations Group willl [will] be embarked in each flight along with USAF Security Police as follows: “Eve/Leary” group, approx. 24 pers – two (2) US Marshals. “Lamar” group, approx. 44 pers – four (4) US Marshals. US Marshals Service Special Operations Group personnel will be considered as crew members by GOG and will be included on manifest (US Marshals are mission essential and will be armed)
PAGE 3 RUEKJCS 2580 CONFIDENTIAL
US Marshals will advise and assist USAF Security Police to ensure safety of aircraft and personnel as directed by plane commander. US Marshals, with the assisstance [assistance] of USAF Security Police, have authority to maintain order and make arrests if necessary.
4. (C) Estimate “Eve/Leary” group may be released by GOG PM 24 Nov and “Lamar” group 25 Nov. Initial 2 US Marshals will embark Charleston not later than 241100 EST.
5. (U) FBI and HEW personnel will assume full custody/responsibility for survivors upon arrival Conus [continental US] destination. Survivors to be expeditiously removed from US military property following initial processing.
6. (U) points of contact for FBI, HEW, and Justice Dept personnel at Charleston AFB, SC are Col. Robert Johnston, Base Commander, Autovon office 583-0111, commercial home (803) 552-2659. Alternate point of contact is Major Messick, Chief Security Police, autovon office, 583-0111, commercial home (803) 554-2554 or 552-4760.
(7) (U) Public affairs guidance: Department of State will make the announcement. Military spokesman was not acknowledged until after the State announcement. All queries following State announcement will be referred to Department of State.