[Editor’s note: This serial was also released — with some deletions — at Serial 50.]
PAGE 01 STATE 294495
[Listing of agencies receiving informational copies on pdf]
Drafted by ARA:RWZimmerman
Approved by ARA:JABushnell
0 210203Z NOV 78
FM SECSTATE WASHDC
TO AMEMBASSY GEORGETOWN IMMEDIATE
[Listing of 9 other American embassies appear on pdf]
CONFIDENTIAL STATE 294495
London for Michael Finley, Tokyo for Senator Hayakawa
E.O. 11652: NA
TAGS: CASC, OREP (RYAN, LEO), GY
SUBJECT: Situation Report No. VIII
Ref: State 293800 and previous
PAGE 02 STATE 294495
1. Reports by Guyanese police to U.S. Embassy Georgetown state 353 bodies of Peoples Temple adherents had been counted so far at Jonestown, including body of Rev. James Jones. Embassy believes some Jonestown residents fled into bush. There may also be additional dead not yet found.
2. DOD communications team has gone to Jonestown but communications system not yet functioning. Advice from pathologists in U.S. make it questionable that after 50 hours bodies at Jonestown can be evacuated and local burial may be required.
3. U.S. military now plans [to] fly in three large helicopters (HH-53), to be refueled in air, plus four smaller helicopters aboard 2 C-141s. USAF has not yet determined suitability of Matthew’s [Matthews] Ridge for C-130 use. By Wednesday morning we anticipate having about 200 American military in Guyana to assist in operation.
4. FBI has ordered six agents to stand by to assist in investigations if requested by GOG [Government of Guyana].
5. Bodies of Congressman Ryan and three newsmen will be flown out to U.S. late November 20.
6. Peoples Temple lawyer Mark Lane and colleague Charles Garry are in Georgetown and gave press conference November 20.
7. US military does not possess Otter or similar aircraft as requested by GOG but other solution being examined.
Vance [Cyrus Vance, Secretary of State]
PAGE 03 STATE 294495