[Editor’s note: This document was released both as a State Department cable as part of its 1981 FOIA release, and as Serial 224 of the FBI’s RYMUR release. The text was released at https://wikileaks.org/plusd/cables/1978GEORGE03883_d.html.]
PAGE 01 GEORGE 03883 230417Z
[Listing of agencies receiving informational copies on pdf]
0 230330Z NOV 78
FM AMEMBASSY GEORGETOWN
TO SECSTATE WASHDC IMMEDIATE 8165
UNCLAS EFTO GEORGETOWN 3883
FOR FBI HQ
E.O. 11652: NA
REF: Butel Number 093
1. Theoretically being held by Guyanan authorities as material witnesses or potential arrestees in that they are not being allow[ed] to depart Guyana are 84 American citizens. See Georgetown messages 3821, 3846, 3847 and 3853 for identities.
2. Return of deceased to US is anticipated November 23, 1978.
3. Repatriation of survivors to US has not yet been determined pending police decision.
4. Status of investigation in Guyana unknown at this time other than Larry Layton, age about 25, charged with murder in this matter November 22, 1978.
5. Today, there are 78 known survivors which are the same persons being held by Guyanan authorities.
PAGE 02 GEORGE 03883 230417Z
6) There are 300 to 500 members of People’s Temple not accounted for based on an estimated 1200 members believed to have resided at Jonestown.
7. Georgetown by separate message this date, furnishing names and birth dates of 960 People’s Temple members which may be used for investment purposes by FBI.
Burke [John Burke, U.S. Ambassador to Guyana]